• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railway Journeys competition launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To celebrate the release of Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 on DVD, in association with Fetch Publicity, RailUK Forums are giving four members the chance to win their own copy.

The first competition is now live and is a guessing game based on stations that Michael Portillo has visited during the series. To take part head to this thread for details on the competition and information on how to enter!

Further announcements will follow in the near future detailing the other opportunities to win your own DVD.

Good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Looks like I'm going to be as good as this as the normal GTS quizzes! I think I only recognise one of them!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We'll be offering clues in the near future (if no-one get's them before then!) so don't lose hope just yet :)

gnolife

Established Member
Looks like I'm going to be as good as this as the normal GTS quizzes! I think I only recognise one of them!

Same here - I can only get no. 10, so I don't think I be in with with much of a winning chance...

Ivo

Established Member
A fine idea, if I may say so. Certainly encourages participation.

I think everyone can get at least one, because #10 is obvious :p

But otherwise, this is harder that you'd think. I've had a few ideas for a few of them and - #10 aside - every one of them has failed so far.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Question:

What is the definition of "visited"? Are they stations Portillo physically set foot on, or just passed through?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What is the definition of "visited"? Are they stations Portillo physically set foot on, or just passed through?

All the stations are listed on Wikipedia (yes, sorry) as 'from', 'to' or 'via' stations.

TP

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The next competition to win a copy of Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 is launched. This will be a photo competition with the theme being "Bradshaw's Handbook". Each entry must be related to something in one of the Bradshaw guides. Include details of what is and a page reference when you enter.

The competition can be entered using the same gallery as "Photo of the Week" http://www.railforums.co.uk/gallery/ . When uploading select the album GBR :: Bradshaw's. The competition will open entries at 20:00 4th March 2013 and will be open for 7 days. The winning photograph will be chosen by the forum staff.

Keep an eye on the forums for the launch of the second photography competition.

Crossover

Established Member
How exactly are we supposed to know if these things are a reference to Bradshaws guide - I don't have any of them, and I can't imagine the vast number of people on here will have either...

theblackwatch

Established Member
How exactly are we supposed to know if these things are a reference to Bradshaws guide - I don't have any of them, and I can't imagine the vast number of people on here will have either...

Given the hundreds of thousands of copies that have been sold and reprints of the Bradshaws that have taken place in the past few years, plenty of people have them. Failing that, there's a bookstore or library for research - it'd make an ideal companion for the DVDs!

John @ home

Established Member
Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
I have something in mind for the photo competition, which I will do tomorrow, does it still have to contain something railway related, as mine doesn't but is recommended by bradshaw.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have something in mind for the photo competition, which I will do tomorrow, does it still have to contain something railway related, as mine doesn't but is recommended by bradshaw.

As long as there is a reference to Bradshaw it is acceptable

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If people are struggling to access a Bradshaw guide then a reference to somewhere that Michael Portillo visited is also acceptable

Trainfan344

Established Member
I used the online copy posted earlier in this thread for a reference.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The first photo competition has now closed. The winner will be notified shortly. The second competition will be launched soon.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There will soon be another opportunity to win a copy of the DVD in the Quiz Forum; it will take the form of a Quiz Olympiad:

In association with Fetch Publicity, RailUK Forums are giving away four copies of the DVD to celebrate it's launch. We are offering you all another chance to win a copy of Great British Railway Journeys series three on DVD if you can win the "Quiz Olympiad."

The Olympiad

Time to get your thinking caps on...

The Quiz Olympiad consists of 7 rounds and brings together some of RailUK Forum's most popular games, past and present, into one marathon of a quiz. Quizzes include elements of "The Next Station Is..."; "Guess the UK train class"; and even "Station Association." This will allow different members to play to their strengths, and for those who think they truly know everything, I have thrown in a brand new quiz to test you all! The aim is to accumulate points over the various stages by answering correctly; with the highest scorer over the duration of the quiz the winner (who will also receive a copy of the new DVD).

Rules for each game will be roughly the same as the original quiz, with explanations on how to play as each round arises.

The Olympiad will commence tomorrow...

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
There will soon be another opportunity to win a copy of the DVD in the Quiz Forum; it will take the form of a Quiz Olympiad:

The Olympiad will commence tomorrow...

What time, as I know people are busy and can't be hanging around on forums all day?

Ivo

Established Member
Sounds like a lot of fun! Is it specific to just the one day, and is there any advantage to be gained by being on the forum constantly (if yes, this isn't fair)?

I'd like to think I've got a decent chance of winning this <D

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Generally a new round will be released each evening (with the exception of the first which will be later today). For some rounds it will be helpful if you are a regular visitor, but for the majority, you can answer at your own pace — however once the next round has commenced, answers will not be accepted from the previous round.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Olympiad has now lauched. Click here to go to the first round, "Where am I?"

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Worth noting that with this competition highest number of points at the end wins. So even if you don't know the answer to all the question in one stage it's still going to be worth giving the ones you do know or just guessing so you can rack up some points at least (and I doubt many people will know all the answers anyway ;))!

Ivo

Established Member
Worth noting that with this competition highest number of points at the end wins. So even if you don't know the answer to all the question in one stage it's still going to be worth giving the ones you do know or just guessing so you can rack up some points at least (and I doubt many people will know all the answers anyway ;))!

We can try <D

gnolife

Established Member

If two scores end up tied at the end, what will happen then? Will there be a sudden death round or something?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If two scores end up tied at the end, what will happen then? Will there be a sudden death round or something?

The answer to that is that we'll cross the bridge when we come to it. I don't anticipate a high likelihood that this will happen where there are two people with the highest points.

TP

Ivo

Established Member
You might have to plan something - with only Rounds 6 and 7 to score (the former of which expires in 210 minutes) things are pretty close...!

Status
Not open for further replies.