• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil G

And as far as I know Thingley rather than Corsham will also be the western limit of the wires towards Bath unless/until further wiring is authorised?
Piles have been installed in the last few months beyond the Thingley feeder, along the length of the sidings, under the bridge and on beyond to just after the next bridge.
Interestingly there are two National Grid 440KV pylon runs that cross the main line at not far above the track which i assume will need to be raised before this section can be wired.

I'm surprised this final section will not be energised until March 19 as most of the piles and masts from Thingley to Wooten Basset seem to have been installed (with the exception of Chippenham station area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

Platform 1 - these have been here for a while, but doesn't look like they'll reach the line on the platform

There's a number similar on the Thames Valley stretch. The assembly that holds the contact wire will reach over towards the platform.

paulb1973

The latest portal design looks a bit like the WCML station portals, such as at Coventry.

That cross-platform portal does look a bit like the structures used at Coventry, Birmingham International etc. Sort of a lightweight lattice - which are quite common along the southern stretches of the WCML. There are plenty of similar heavier types too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hmm, good point. I'm not sure if that's all passed for passenger traffic or not - looks like it basically goes through a massive goods yard.
It is a passenger route, at least. That section down through Acton has been used now and again for VWC diversions from Euston to the Chilterns via West Ealing.

jimm

Established Member
Piles have been installed in the last few months beyond the Thingley feeder, along the length of the sidings, under the bridge and on beyond to just after the next bridge.
Interestingly there are two National Grid 440KV pylon runs that cross the main line at not far above the track which i assume will need to be raised before this section can be wired.

I'm surprised this final section will not be energised until March 19 as most of the piles and masts from Thingley to Wooten Basset seem to have been installed (with the exception of Chippenham station area.

Probably has a lot to do with the politics of the project - getting wires live and ready for passenger services to Bristol Parkway and Cardiff by the end of the year is the target set by the Hendy review - going to Thingley is largely to access the extra grid feed, so deemed less of a priority, I'd surmise.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Probably has a lot to do with the politics of the project - getting wires live and ready for passenger services to Bristol Parkway and Cardiff by the end of the year is the target set by the Hendy review - going to Thingley is largely to access the extra grid feed, so deemed less of a priority, I'd surmise.
Yes - you are almost certainly correct in your thinking on this. IMHO

DidcotDickie

Was there any truth in this rumour, and if so has it been sorted?

Reported elsewhere to be true (by someone who should know). Apparently the traction return from the 800s when running on AC is causing interference with a signalling cable at Sonning. Until the cable is replaced (apparently it's not the fault of the train) 800s will run on diesel west of Maidenhead. Presumably this cable is linked to the axle counters?

paul1609

Established Member
Hmm, good point. I'm not sure if that's all passed for passenger traffic or not - looks like it basically goes through a massive goods yard. As you say it also seems to go through a short non-electrified section
Yes it is, this is the way some Cross Country services to Brighton went right up to 2008 after the Eurostar depot was built.

cambsy

On Moderation
How long for the Sonning cutting cable problem to be fixed so the 800’s can run on juice west of Maidenhead?

Last edited by a moderator:

59CosG95

Established Member
That cross-platform portal does look a bit like the structures used at Coventry, Birmingham International etc. Sort of a lightweight lattice - which are quite common along the southern stretches of the WCML. There are plenty of similar heavier types too.

Seems quite an oddity when you consider the Swiss rectangular pedigree of the Series 1 boom/portal design. Of course, the BR Mark 1 Lightweight Portals are fairly old hat (having been around since the 60's) but they certainly seem less visually obtrusive than newer designs.

spark001uk

Established Member
With the wires now switched would it be possible to go from Brighton to Reading via Kensington Olympia on an electric train - use third rail and then switching to OH? I don't know if all junctions/chords are joined up. Back in the late 1980's I used to enjoy the Inter-City service (class 47 hauled) from Brighton taking this route into Reading before heading up to Birmingham.
Technically coming off at NP jn into the reception lines and reverse out then reverse again towards Reading is possible electrically, but NP jn is signed OOU currently.

That, but also resource availability. I don't think there's presently enough engineering or construction staff to cope with the the volume of work that fully energising to Thingly would entail (as well as reaching Cardiff at approx. the same time), regardless of political will or otherwise.

I worry though that the temporary, cabled solution to reach the Thingly feeder station will soon become permanent once the realities of electrifying around Bath start to manifest.

Often, the OLE can be redesigned to avoid having to alter the National Grid's infrastructure. Dropping ATF wire to a ground-cable, as well as reducing the height of the contact wires to the lowest tolerable level can be enough to provide suitable clearance.

3973EXL

Established Member
There are already some photos of the Swindon station works posted, but here are some more from today.

Basically all the masts through the platforms are up. Only two portals/booms remain to go up between the two masts on platform 3 and the two masts behind platform 4.

There are some masts missing east of the station on the down side, and west of the station on the up side, next to the old works.

DSC00385.JPG DSC00386.JPG DSC00387.JPG DSC00388.JPG DSC00389.JPG DSC00390.JPG DSC00391.JPG DSC00392.JPG DSC00393.JPG DSC00394.JPG

I'll post a few more and a summary of Didcot to Wootton Bassett.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
There are already some photos of the Swindon station works posted, but here are some more from today.

Basically all the masts through the platforms are up. Only two portals/booms remain to go up between the two masts on platform 3 and the two masts behind platform 1.

There are some masts missing east of the station on the down side, and west of the station on the up side, next to the old works.

View attachment 41138 View attachment 41139 View attachment 41140 View attachment 41141 View attachment 41142 View attachment 41143 View attachment 41144 View attachment 41145 View attachment 41146 View attachment 41147

I'll post a few more and a summary of Didcot to Wootton Bassett.
You mean Platform 4, surely? P1 looks pretty complete from the pictures you've posted.

3973EXL

Established Member
Swindon cont.

DSC00395.JPG DSC00396.JPG DSC00397.JPG DSC00398.JPG

Note about Reading - missing contact wire on the West Curve has gone up.

Didcot to Wootton Bassett
Wires currently end West of Didcot before the A34 bridge, and recommence after Causeway LC.
Approximately MP55 3/4 to MP57 1/4. Most masts appear to be up in this gap but their state of fitting out varies.

Wires are then up (not all ATF wire) to MP65 3/4 east of Uffington. The gap is to MP67 1/2 west of Uffington (looks ready to wire).

MP67 1/2 to MP69 3/4 is wired.
Gap to MP70 1/4 (again looks ready to wire).
Wires to MP71 3/4. From there to Stratton Green looks ready to wire.

Station area (Stratton Green to Rushey Platt) already covered. From there until Wootton Bassett looks to be only the odd mast missing and looks like it wont be long before it's ready to wire.

Unclepete

Swindon cont.

View attachment 41148 View attachment 41149 View attachment 41150 View attachment 41151

Note about Reading - missing contact wire on the West Curve has gone up.

Didcot to Wootton Bassett
Wires currently end West of Didcot before the A34 bridge, and recommence after Causeway LC.
Approximately MP55 3/4 to MP57 1/4. Most masts appear to be up in this gap but their state of fitting out varies.

Wires are then up (not all ATF wire) to MP65 3/4 east of Uffington. The gap is to MP67 1/2 west of Uffington (looks ready to wire).

MP67 1/2 to MP69 3/4 is wired.
Gap to MP70 1/4 (again looks ready to wire).
Wires to MP71 3/4. From there to Stratton Green looks ready to wire.

Station area (Stratton Green to Rushey Platt) already covered. From there until Wootton Bassett looks to be only the odd mast missing and looks like it wont be long before it's ready to wire.
Great pics showing progress. So my question is, now Didcot is “live” is the plan to continue to switch on small sections at a time, ie Didcot to Swindon next?

JN114

Established Member
Great pics showing progress. So my question is, now Didcot is “live” is the plan to continue to switch on small sections at a time, ie Didcot to Swindon next?

For testing, once the flash notice is issued, perhaps. But no notice has been issued for infrastructure West of Didcot yet. But it is expected that ORR sign-off for passenger/routine use will be en-masse like Maidenhead - Didcot.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Storm Dylan caused some issues with the overhead live wires, but this was on the old 1990s section. There were issues around Ealing Broadway just after midday which caused HC and Hayes & Harlington trains to be cancelled, and other London-bound trains diverted via the Main from Southall West crossovers to Acton West crossovers (which also meant a gap of over 45 minutes between trains, and the first one after that at 1415 was single unit 387171 :lol: luckily it was effectively empty!). Then around 1430 my train (the one above) was cautioned around Ladbroke Grove to allow the driver to check the OHLE.

59CosG95

Established Member
I've never seen Swindon station before except from inside a train at night; it looks awful, so dreary, exposed and unwelcoming.
Any plans to rebuild it?
(Apologies for the digression)
AFAIK there are no plans yet, and there probably won't be for a while now that the portals through the station are pretty much up. The original building was demolished in 1972, and the BR Office Block (125 House) built in its place. P4 was added in 2003; perhaps that's the part you believe to be exposed and unwelcoming. Not sure if there's going to be a massive redevelopment in the future...we'll just have to wait with bated breath.

Anyhow, back to electrification.

spark001uk

Established Member
Hearing the OHLE has gone dead at Reading this morn, anyone confirm what's happened?

JN114

Established Member
Reports of arcing on Reading Depot; sounds as if the requisite isolations to effect a repair took out OHL west of Reading for a time.

I've never seen Swindon station before except from inside a train at night; it looks awful, so dreary, exposed and unwelcoming.
Any plans to rebuild it?
(Apologies for the digression)
It's pretty unispiring. Not helped by the large office block over-development now being entirely abandoned and in a very sorry state.

Believe it or not though, the building in between platforms 1&3 is grade II listed, so removing it wouldn't be entirely straightfoward.

3973EXL

Established Member
Thatcham today. Station and the wired section on the down line taken from around MP50.

DSC00399.JPG DSC00400.JPG DSC00401.JPG DSC00402.JPG DSC00403.JPG DSC00404.JPG DSC00405.JPG DSC00406.JPG DSC00407.JPG

Recent work around Southcote Jn has seen piles and mast go in between the junction and the existing masts towards Theale. There are still some missing on the down side and back towards Reading West there are approximatly 5 masts on the up and 6 on the down.

The main area still missing most masts is from east of Calcot Mill FP crossing to the main to main crossover at Theale East. Other than this, most masts are up to Newbury Racecourse, excluding stations. Most SPS is up from Newbury RC to west of Aldermaston.

Status
Not open for further replies.