• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The bit that actually holds the wire makes me very nervous. The other end of the bar looks almost lower than the wire.
That's actually normal. The profile of the pantograph fits entirely within the four-foot area, so wouldn't come into contact with the end of the goose-neck, even if the latter is marginally lower than the wire-height.

Noddy

I'm fairly sure if the 377/3s exist, 3 car 387s could be formed. Bourne End platform 1 is 67 m long apparently, so should fit. Many years back a Turbo failed to stop at Bourne End, so a friction buffer stop was installed (photo). The passenger walkway at the end of the platforms could be removed, allowing the buffer stop to go further back to enable 3 car trains to run, but it's still a really tight fit.

Close the road!

deltic08

On Moderation
I'm fairly sure if the 377/3s exist, 3 car 387s could be formed. Bourne End platform 1 is 67 m long apparently, so should fit. Many years back a Turbo failed to stop at Bourne End, so a friction buffer stop was installed (photo). The passenger walkway at the end of the platforms could be removed, allowing the buffer stop to go further back to enable 3 car trains to run, but it's still a really tight fit.
So why wasn't the loop extended and future proofed before houses were built on the trackbed only a few years ago? Because we are British and can't see beyond the end of our noses as with not joining both Bradford stations when there was nothing between them and now wanting to when there is now a shopping centre in the way, granting ASDA planning permission to build a superstore on the station site at Galashiels only weeks before approval to rebuild the railway to name but two.

jimm

Established Member
Please can we stick to the GW electrification project here, not have yet another rehashing of the same discussion of the same stuff about Bourne End station and the Marlow branch that occurs every year?

I'm sure the moderators could reopen one of the existing threads about the branch if necessary.

K.o.R

That's actually normal. The profile of the pantograph fits entirely within the four-foot area, so wouldn't come into contact with the end of the goose-neck, even if the latter is marginally lower than the wire-height.

Is it actually quite a bit more to the side than it looks, then?

I'm sure the moderators could reopen one of the existing threads about the branch if necessary.

With a RUS and a cost-benefit analysis first, of course.

Non Multi

With a RUS and a cost-benefit analysis first, of course.
If (or when) the branches get round to being electrified, they don't require Series 1 spec OHLE do they? No multiple pantographs, no high speed running.

Non Multi

Exactly - should be much lower cost - and also no need for expensive diversions , bus replacements etc - should be far easier than a main line
Would using the HOPS train be of any benefit? Surely it could cope with the requirements of a branch line?

Thatcham Xing

Bit out of my area, but more SPS going up in the Towney Loop area (between Aldermaston and Ufton Nervet on the B&H) in recent days. The general gap in infrastrcture along the length of the loop appears to gradually being closed.

59CosG95

Established Member
Bit out of my area, but more SPS going up in the Towney Loop area (between Aldermaston and Ufton Nervet on the B&H) in recent days. The general gap in infrastrcture along the length of the loop appears to gradually being closed.
Thanks very much for that, @Thatcham Xing.

A recap on the B&H wiring, using piecemeal bits of information picked up on here over the last year & a bit:

Reading West-Aldermaston
Vast majority of masts now up between Reading & Newbury; Wires stretching to eastern end of Reading West (36m68ch).
Nothing much through Reading West & Southcote Jn (MP37.62) to MP38 1/4, then a good run of masts to just before MP40. From there until MP41 just east of Theale there are some masts by Calcot Mill crossing and on the down side between there and the M4 bridge. After the M4 there are a number of masts in the down side cess.

From MP41 to MP43 3/4 (part way along Towney Loop) the masts look pretty much complete; more SPS up over first week of Jan 18.
Ufton Nervet Bridge open, replacing the LC. Some SPS up to the east of Ufton Lane bridge, just before Towney Loop (42m08ch to 44m11ch).
There is a gap of about 1/4 mile before the masts start again by Towney crossing. There are then some gaps with masts missing to Aldermaston.

Aldermaston - Thatcham - Newbury
After Aldermaston there is only the odd mast missing to Thatcham. From Frouds Lane (by the works compound) a lot of the SPS is up to Thatcham.
Masts, booms & some SPS up both sides of Wickham Knights foot X-ing (46m16ch, east of Midgham).
Masts all up around Midgham, some booms/portals up and limited SPS too.
Masts all up around Oxlease Bridge/Heales Lock (on the Kennet Path), some booms/SPS still to add.
Masts, booms & SPS up both sides of Crannel's foot X-ing (47m47ch, west of Midgham).
Masts, booms & some SPS up around Midgham Bridge.
Masts & booms up through/around Thatcham, some with SPS.
Thatcham to Newbury Racecourse is the most complete section with masts, SPS and a run of catenary/contact wire between Thatcham & Newbury Racecourse (nr MP50). Some other wires up on other masts in that area.
At Newbury, the footbridge is now up.
Elec Substation still needs construction.

Timescales:
Reading-Newbury set to go live from September 2018.
Major Works: 12/3 to 15/3, 23/4 to 26/4, 4/6 to 7/6. More TBA.

Any future developments on the wiring front would be welcome.

Unclepete

Thanks very much for that, @Thatcham Xing.

A recap on the B&H wiring, using piecemeal bits of information picked up on here over the last year & a bit:

Reading West-Aldermaston
Vast majority of masts now up between Reading & Newbury; Wires stretching to eastern end of Reading West (36m68ch).
Nothing much through Reading West & Southcote Jn (MP37.62) to MP38 1/4, then a good run of masts to just before MP40. From there until MP41 just east of Theale there are some masts by Calcot Mill crossing and on the down side between there and the M4 bridge. After the M4 there are a number of masts in the down side cess.

From MP41 to MP43 3/4 (part way along Towney Loop) the masts look pretty much complete; more SPS up over first week of Jan 18.
Ufton Nervet Bridge open, replacing the LC. Some SPS up to the east of Ufton Lane bridge, just before Towney Loop (42m08ch to 44m11ch).
There is a gap of about 1/4 mile before the masts start again by Towney crossing. There are then some gaps with masts missing to Aldermaston.

Aldermaston - Thatcham - Newbury
After Aldermaston there is only the odd mast missing to Thatcham. From Frouds Lane (by the works compound) a lot of the SPS is up to Thatcham.
Masts, booms & some SPS up both sides of Wickham Knights foot X-ing (46m16ch, east of Midgham).
Masts all up around Midgham, some booms/portals up and limited SPS too.
Masts all up around Oxlease Bridge/Heales Lock (on the Kennet Path), some booms/SPS still to add.
Masts, booms & SPS up both sides of Crannel's foot X-ing (47m47ch, west of Midgham).
Masts, booms & some SPS up around Midgham Bridge.
Masts & booms up through/around Thatcham, some with SPS.
Thatcham to Newbury Racecourse is the most complete section with masts, SPS and a run of catenary/contact wire between Thatcham & Newbury Racecourse (nr MP50). Some other wires up on other masts in that area.
At Newbury, the footbridge is now up.
Elec Substation still needs construction.

Timescales:
Reading-Newbury set to go live from September 2018.
Major Works: 12/3 to 15/3, 23/4 to 26/4, 4/6 to 7/6. More TBA.

Any future developments on the wiring front would be welcome.

That's a great summary, so thanks for that.
I assume, as the footbridge is due to complete by the end of Feb, that the first blockade is for removing the old bridge at Newbury station, as well as other stiff.

Does anyone know what the elec Substation next to boundary road will visually look like?

thanks,

Thatcham Xing

Great summary 59CosG95, thanks. I'll add my further little updates when I notice things that are going on.

The thru-Station elements on the B&H all still outstanding so will watch for progress there.

I was chatting to one of the platform staff at Newbury a few weeks back, who said that there's lots of wiring that uses the old footbridge to cross the railway,
that will need to be re-routed before it can come down.

3973EXL

Established Member
Nice sunny day, so I had a walk from Reading West to Theale. Only problem with this time of year is that the sun is low, result, some photos to get details not being the best.

Batch 1 starts from the country end of Reading West station.
Next is Tilehurst Road bridge, which requires parapet work, followed by A4 Bath Road bridge.
Photos 7&8 are the same masts, viewed from the A4 then Southcote Junction.

DSC00422.JPG DSC00424.JPG DSC00423.JPG DSC00430.JPG DSC00426.JPG DSC00429.JPG DSC00428.JPG DSC00432.JPG DSC00434.JPG DSC00435.JPG

3973EXL

Established Member
Second batch, lineside from after Southcote Junction to Burghfield Road bridge.

DSC00437.JPG DSC00438.JPG DSC00439.JPG DSC00440.JPG DSC00441.JPG DSC00442.JPG DSC00443.JPG DSC00444.JPG DSC00447.JPG DSC00448.JPG

3973EXL

Established Member
Most of the final batch are the area around Calcot Mill FP crossing. From there to Theale is not visible from the Kennet FP. Last 3 are Theale.

DSC00449.JPG DSC00450.JPG DSC00451.JPG DSC00452.JPG DSC00453.JPG DSC00454.JPG DSC00455.JPG DSC00456.JPG

reddragon

Established Member
Large sections of the B&H electrification had to be redesigned after NR forgot to check for services. There are extensive lengths of sewers, watercourses, cable and even an oil pipeline. Theale, Woolhampton & Newbury are the worst areas. You will see that the masts are all on one side to avoid the clashes!

Thatcham Xing

Interesting...I'd never considered that the pipeline (I assume it's the GPSS - that supplies civil and military airfields - to which you refer?) passed that close to the B&H. I say this as it passes within a few metres of my domestic boundaries, and most of the markers for it around here (Thatcham area) are well away from the railway.

The markers are a white pole with a yellow triangle (with a black line through it) on top. There are lots of them near to the A4 at various places along the Kennet Valley, like the example below.

Sorry for slight off topic-ness.

oil_pipeline_marker.jpg

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Interesting...I'd never considered that the pipeline (I assume it's the GPSS - that supplies civil and military airfields - to which you refer?) passed that close to the B&H. I say this as it passes within a few metres of my domestic boundaries, and most of the markers for it around here (Thatcham area) are well away from the railway.

The markers are a white pole with a yellow triangle (with a black line through it) on top. There are lots of them near to the A4 at various places along the Kennet Valley, like the example below.

Sorry for slight off topic-ness.

View attachment 41391
But the oil depot is on the opposite side of the railway to the pipeline!

Thatcham Xing

True, I'd forgotten about the depot at Aldermaston (which I assume you referring to) as it's been derelict for years. I think there's now a Veolia recycling plant on some of the land it used to occupy.

You're right that a lot of the masts are on one side of the tracks (just west of Midgham is a good example) but it never occurred to me that this might be due to under the surface obstructions. The same is true just west of Aldermaston, but I think that's because there are some people's back garden fences very close to the track.

reddragon

Established Member
True, I'd forgotten about the depot at Aldermaston (which I assume you referring to) as it's been derelict for years. I think there's now a Veolia recycling plant on some of the land it used to occupy.

You're right that a lot of the masts are on one side of the tracks (just west of Midgham is a good example) but it never occurred to me that this might be due to under the surface obstructions. The same is true just west of Aldermaston, but I think that's because there are some people's back garden fences very close to the track.
And a sewer along the cess too!

deltic08

On Moderation
Stations as far as Newbury will have a super dooper service to/from Paddington. What about stations beyond Newbury to Westbury?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Stations as far as Newbury will have a super dooper service to/from Paddington. What about stations beyond Newbury to Westbury?

The Emperors new Bimodes are the answer to everything Grasshopper.

Edit - in this case not bad provided they lead to a rolling programme of progressive electrification towards Taunton (I know pink elephants may fly)

MarlowDonkey

Are they going to put diesels under the Electrostars or will this be a dedicated sub-fleet of something else?

The IEPs otherwise known as class 800/802 would be used. Variously they would run as electric to Didcot, diesel to Oxford and beyond. Electric to somewhere past Swindon and Diesel to Bath and Bristol TM. Also electric to Cardiff, diesel to Swansea and electric to Newbury, diesel beyond. With the need to retain a fleet of 165/166 for Thames Valley branches and Reading to Gatwick, "local" services beyond Newbury might also use these.

59CosG95

Established Member
The IEPs otherwise known as class 800/802 would be used. Variously they would run as electric to Didcot, diesel to Oxford and beyond. Electric to somewhere past Swindon and Diesel to Bath and Bristol TM. Also electric to Cardiff, diesel to Swansea and electric to Newbury, diesel beyond. With the need to retain a fleet of 165/166 for Thames Valley branches and Reading to Gatwick, "local" services beyond Newbury might also use these.
Yep, AIUI the Bedwyn terminators would go over to IET operation. Not sure they'd even terminate at Bedwyn, extending them to Westbury would seem sensible in my eyes.
However, as Mark Corrigan once said, "Chance would be a fine thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.