• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
That unit looks smart in GWR Green. I notice they installed air cooler vents on the outside from the photo just like the Chiltern 165's but with keeping the openable windows.

When I went on a 165 with air cooling the hopper windows are kept but have had a t key lock like a 166 to allow them to be opened by staff if it fails

That unit looks smart in GWR Green. I notice they installed air cooler vents on the outside from the photo just like the Chiltern 165's but with keeping the openable windows.

But not on all of them. 119, 123 & now 128 have air-con. The other 2-car 165s that have been to Wolverton and returned in green do not have air-con, 120, 121, 122 and from Martin Loaders picture on the same website neither does 127 (not seen that one in green myself yet).

ATW158Xpress

But not on all of them. 119, 123 & now 128 have air-con. The other 2-car 165s that have been to Wolverton and returned in green do not have air-con, 120, 121, 122 and from Martin Loaders picture on the same website neither does 127 (not seen that one in green myself yet).
I wonder how many 165’s are going to be fitted with air coolers especially as a small number of 2 car 165’s are due to be cascaded to Bristol later in the year.

59CosG95

Established Member
I wonder how many 165’s are going to be fitted with air coolers especially as a small number of 2 car 165’s are due to be cascaded to Bristol later in the year.
Surely the question of where they operate is neither here nor there in terms of air cooling fitment?
I suspect all 36 of them will get the treatment for operational and maintenance simplicity.

Rob F

Would look so much better if they picked out the area around the headlights in black, as they originally were.

Rob

jimm

Established Member

None of them have air conditioning - they have air cooling, which does not dehumidify air in the way that air conditioning systems do.

All the 165s will be fitted with air cooling - I'm pretty sure it is a franchise commitment to do the work.

Last edited:

brel york

Is 150!202 still running around with incorrect cab door colour , they were supposed to be silver as they are passenger access doors but wabtec painted them green , we have four doors waiting to be fitted in the correct colour

superalbs

Established Member
Is 150!202 still running around with incorrect cab door colour , they were supposed to be silver as they are passenger access doors but wabtec painted them green , we have four doors waiting to be fitted in the correct colour
Last time I saw it, it was indeed green.

Apedlar12

Yes was running the Bristol Parkway to Weston Super-Mare yesterday...

FGW_DID

Established Member
Odd seeing an unbranded 165127 at Reading, no GWR logos on it

There are a few running round with no Decals on, in fact I think there are a couple of 3 cars that still haven’t had theirs done yet.
The decals are all done by an external contractor, once the unit has returned to Reading, it takes up to two days to do a complete unit. Usually the contractors are booked for a weekend when there is more scope of being able to take a unit out of traffic for two days.

Quite why they can’t do it at Wolverton before the unit is released back, I don’t know!

Apedlar12

Expect 158798 to be about soon as it has been spotted poking out of Barton Hill in GWR NEW LIVERY
Same for 150221 as I think it might have attached to 150266 on 2E66 to Gloucester yesterday evening... Could be its first passenger service in the new livery :)

I notice that there was an exchange of units between Reading and Long Marston today. Does anyone know which units were involved - green 165128 on its way in to service perhaps?

FGW_DID

Established Member
166217 coming back to Reading. 166221 planned to go but if it all went pear shaped 166201 was the back up. Not in work so don’t know the exact result.

gallafent

When I went on a 165 with air cooling the hopper windows are kept but have had a t key lock like a 166 to allow them to be opened by staff if it fails

That's what I noticed too. And with the fact that they don't seal very well, the associated wind noise makes the environment a lot noisier and less pleasant than a Chiltern 165 (which have had the hopper windows replaced with one-piece glass, many years ago). Shrug.

D2007wsm

Established Member
That's what I noticed too. And with the fact that they don't seal very well, the associated wind noise makes the environment a lot noisier and less pleasant than a Chiltern 165 (which have had the hopper windows replaced with one-piece glass, many years ago). Shrug.
I would rather have a little bit of noise from the locked hoppers like on 158s and 166s than no opening windows if the air cooling or air con fails. At least the option remains to open the windows should this happen.

gallafent

I would rather have a little bit of noise from the locked hoppers like on 158s and 166s than no opening windows if the air cooling or air con fails. At least the option remains to open the windows should this happen.

Fair point, clearly, when you have a fleet of trains which is expected to fail relatively frequently. Looking at a few photos seems to suggest that, as I remembered, the Chiltern units have no opening hoppers at all, not even for “emergencies”. I guess Chiltern must just look after their trains that much better than GWR do (and of course were prepared to spend extra money at refurbishment time to replace the windows) that the eventuality of the air cooling failing simply never happens (for some definition of never). Comparing the overall experience of travelling in Chiltern 165s with GWR ones (and indeed 166s), the former certainly feel enormously better maintained / less “worn out”. It'd be genuinely interesting to know what the relative failure rates (for various types of failure) of the two fleets are, but I guess that's commercially sensitive (despite being of great interest to the travelling public that pays for the service) so it's unlikely to see the light of day. But we're getting off topic (happy to open a new topic or move across to one of course, but we're away from GWR livery now!).

Status
Not open for further replies.