• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Fair point, clearly, when you have a fleet of trains which is expected to fail relatively frequently. Looking at a few photos seems to suggest that, as I remembered, the Chiltern units have no opening hoppers at all, not even for “emergencies”. I guess Chiltern must just look after their trains that much better than GWR do (and of course were prepared to spend extra money at refurbishment time to replace the windows) that the eventuality of the air cooling failing simply never happens (for some definition of never). Comparing the overall experience of travelling in Chiltern 165s with GWR ones (and indeed 166s), the former certainly feel enormously better maintained / less “worn out”. It'd be genuinely interesting to know what the relative failure rates (for various types of failure) of the two fleets are, but I guess that's commercially sensitive (despite being of great interest to the travelling public that pays for the service) so it's unlikely to see the light of day. But we're getting off topic (happy to open a new topic or move across to one of course, but we're away from GWR livery now!).
I haven't been on a GWR 165 for several years and haven't been on a Chilterb service. I don't mind the 165s as these are the common traction I catch now that they have been sent down south, much better that the 150/1s we generally get. All though the last 2 days every 166 I have got on has been blue and I'm getting used to expecting green now unless it is a HST service.

I tell you the opening hoppers are a God send on the 158s in the summer, due to the inadequate air con system which can't cope!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Does that imply 166201 will go green? (Sorry if I'm slow here and it's already been said!)
As far as I know all of the Turbo green livery changes occur at Wolverton but someone will correct me if I am wrong. I think that everything that goes to Long Marston returns in the same visible condition. Whatever work takes place at Long Marston it does not appear to be public facing (but a lot of important work is not public facing).

Some units may appear to return from Long Marston in green (as I speculated with 165128) but that is because they go Wolverton - Reading and almost immediately on to Long Martson. I believe in the case of 165128 it passed through Reading non-stop when it did this.

jimm

Established Member
As far as I know, all repainting is being carried out at Wolverton in conjunction with the project to fit accessible toilets - including the first few 166s to get accessible toilets, which were turned out in plain FGW blue as the work on them pre-dated the introduction of the green livery, hence have a much more recent coat of blue than their classmates. As a result, I expect them to stay that way for a while yet until all the rolling stock reshuffles have been completed and they can spared for a visit to the paintshop.

Yesterday's arrival at Long Marston was one of the blue 166s - 166221 - see Peter Tandy's pictures of it at Honeybourne here http://www.petertandy.co.uk/Recentpics.html

Last edited:

Defiance149

There was an exchange of Turbos between Wolverton and Reading in the small hours of this morning, can anyone ID the sets please?

Parallel

Established Member
158763 isn’t quite as run down as the likes of 158953/158958/158959, though 958 and 959 are the worst, by far.

LiftFan

959 is in absolute dire state, last time I rode it it was a cold winter morning and the heating didn't work...

Parallel

Established Member
959 is in absolute dire state, last time I rode it it was a cold winter morning and the heating didn't work...
Passengers have actually been complaining about the state of the remaining blue 158s on Twitter to GWR. When were they last refurbished? 2006? It’s not even that long ago but the fleet are intensively worked.

This is a post I found recently:

Attachments

• 8E30C1FE-6BD8-4F80-BC62-CB12CE4BC49F.png
    8E30C1FE-6BD8-4F80-BC62-CB12CE4BC49F.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 134

fgwrich

Established Member
Passengers have actually been complaining about the state of the remaining blue 158s on Twitter to GWR. When were they last refurbished? 2006? It’s not even that long ago but the fleet are intensively worked.

This is a post I found recently:

If only she saw the state of the Turbos! There's been some complaints about those as well, including one which turned up for a number of days with mud smeared on the carpet, walls and seats.

spark001uk

Established Member
If only she saw the state of the Turbos! There's been some complaints about those as well, including one which turned up for a number of days with mud smeared on the carpet, walls and seats.
I know terrible isn't it. I even had a 165 turn up the other day at Pad (109 I think, was a 3car anyway) with AC+USB sockets slapped in the declass 1st! Or is that now REclass 1st? One never really knows... ;)

FGW_DID

Established Member
There is currently an ‘at seat power’ mod program on the go. 109 was one of the first to receive this mod.

K.o.R

I saw 158950 running around with a 150/2 on the front yesterday. The first coach of 950 had had half the vinyl details on the first coach scraped off (GWR logo, silver stripe).

Nammer

950 was subject to a graffiti attack some months ago and the removal of the graffiti caused the vinyl decals to be damaged.
Also 950 had one engine out of action yesterday, so that end was boxed in by the 150.

K.o.R

950 was subject to a graffiti attack some months ago and the removal of the graffiti caused the vinyl decals to be damaged.
Also 950 had one engine out of action yesterday, so that end was boxed in by the 150.

You can't have an unpowered leading unit?

fgwrich

Established Member
I know terrible isn't it. I even had a 165 turn up the other day at Pad (109 I think, was a 3car anyway) with AC+USB sockets slapped in the declass 1st! Or is that now REclass 1st? One never really knows... ;)

I know, I mean look at the fine quality of this Turbo. Who wouldn’t want Great Westerns finely looked after carpets? I’m aware of the usb & plug sockets and that’s welcome, but the state of these is getting worse. I would have said they were on par with the 158 featured and complained about above but at least that’s getting refurbished in the very near future!

Attachments

• FB879390-971A-4BF0-84DE-B42D3AD4C45C.png
    FB879390-971A-4BF0-84DE-B42D3AD4C45C.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
You can't have an unpowered leading unit?
I’ve been on two FGW services that had an unpowered leading carriage - one on a 150 and one being a 153 + 158/9 + 150 combo (153 was unpowered but locked OOU for passengers)

pdeaves

Established Member
I noticed today that 800026 does not have full livery embellishments (logos, stripes, etc.) on the west end driving car, north side (as running today, of course it could turn at some stage!). I do not know whether the other side was bereft of these details or not.

spark001uk

Established Member
There is currently an ‘at seat power’ mod program on the go. 109 was one of the first to receive this mod.
Is the 1st being reinstated in the 3 car 165s then? Or is this to be a cattle class mod throughout the trains?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Is the 1st being reinstated in the 3 car 165s then? Or is this to be a cattle class mod throughout the trains?

The at seat power mods are throughout the units. 165124 should be the first of the 2 cars to receive it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
39607062810_c5f4f3ede7_z.jpg

I was at Reading the other week and saw at least one 165 two car unit which still had a yellow first class stripe! Isn't it at least two years since they were declassified? A long-standing theme of FGW/GWR is their lack of concern about passenger information accuracy/usefulness, with internal and external dot matrix indicators frequently broken or wrong (destination: "Great Western Railway"), labelling slapdash/downright wrong and verbose p.a. recordings.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 46093

I was at Reading the other week and saw at least one 165 two car unit which still had a yellow first class stripe! Isn't it at least two years since they were declassified? A long-standing theme of FGW/GWR is their lack of concern about passenger information accuracy/usefulness, with internal and external dot matrix indicators frequently broken or wrong (destination: "Great Western Railway"), labelling slapdash/downright wrong and verbose p.a. recordings.

I thought certain 165s had had First Class reinstated, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.