• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Email me the video data so I can watch on my 3DS ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Well it is the 'GWR Polo on the Beach' this weekend, but they are still branded 'First Great Western'. It makes no sense to sponsor in a new name, but not rebrand for it.

superalbs

Established Member
Coach No. 10219 is now painted into the green, and is running the Summer Satuday Special.

jimm

Established Member
Coach No. 10219 is now painted into the green, and is running the Summer Satuday Special.

Couple of pictures of 10219 on this duty at Totnes here http://www.totnestrains.com/2015-june.html

And a couple of 57605 at Derby, but just repainted and still lacking the branding

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yerrtizz/18818537041/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yerrtizz/18789633066/

As far as a full-on launch for the rebranding goes, presumably they are going to wait until they have a full rake of Night Riviera stock and an HST or two repainted and with the full branding applied to make some impact, which must still be some weeks away at the current rate of progress on painting - and probably some time after the summer holiday period is out of the way.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I they were going to wait, why didn't they call it 'First Great Western Polo on the Beach'

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn't the main brand change going to be coincident with the start of the GW direct award franchise in September? In which case why would any real progress be expected now?

jimm

Established Member
I they were going to wait, why didn't they call it 'First Great Western Polo on the Beach'

Probably because at this stage - lacking any complete trains in shiny new livery to show off - they want to start getting people used to the idea of the rebrand, what the marketing types call a 'soft launch', so they will do things like issue that artist's impression of a green AT300, sponsor this polo event and perhaps some other things over the summer - and bring in the new-look interiors in first class, which has been going on for months already - then, when they have the shiny trains ready and the regular passengers are all back in September, they go for the 'hard launch' with a big fanfare, reliveried trains at Paddington for a publicity and press event, new publicity material, printed timetables, etc, etc.

Various of the current timetables expire on September 6, so they have to produce new ones for the autumn anyway, so the first week of September looks like a good bet for the GWR brand to emerge.

Last edited:

Defiance149

Reported elsewhere that 150238 returned from Wolverton in plain blue.

BFO 17175 should now be green as that's just returned from Springburn.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Was on a HST a couple of weeks ago and in the vestibule where I was the toilet (door and interior) and one side of the vestibule (wall, door, litter bin signs etc) were in the green GWR livery but the other side of it and the rest of the coach was still in the old blue and pink. Very strange!

superalbs

Established Member
Was on a HST a couple of weeks ago and in the vestibule where I was the toilet (door and interior) and one side of the vestibule (wall, door, litter bin signs etc) were in the green GWR livery but the other side of it and the rest of the coach was still in the old blue and pink. Very strange!

Most IC125 doors are updated now, with a new sticker placed on the saloon-vestibule doors. What an amazing effort.

I also saw a poster at Newton Abbot advertising the GWR Polo on the Beach.
There is also this website that uses GWR branding, but a FGW liveried train.

I don't think very many trains will be in GWR by the time the new franchise launches.

Anyone have any idea of what kind of branding will be added to the 143s, 150/1s and 153s? Will it be full livery, black band or just the logo?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Anyone have any idea of what kind of branding will be added to the 143s, 150/1s and 153s? Will it be full livery, black band or just the logo?

I'm hoping for a chocolate and cream livery for all the 'local lines' stock... :D

EDIT: just realised you've presumably mentioned those units because they'll be going elsewhere in the not-too-distant future. They might well be left as-is.

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
I'm hoping for a chocolate and cream livery for all the 'local lines' stock... :D

EDIT: just realised you've presumably mentioned those units because they'll be going elsewhere in the not-too-distant future. They might well be left as-is.

Not even a branding update? Most TOCs would update the trains wouldn't they?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not even a branding update? Most TOCs would update the trains wouldn't they?

When a franchise changes hands (or units are moved around) there's more of a reason for rebranding even if there isn't a repaint/refresh straight away as you don't want to advertise someone else for free. As the operator isn't changing (just a rebranding) there's less of an incentive. VTEC haven't removed the 'East Coast' branding from the majority of their mark threes and that IS a change of operator. The most likely scenario is probably removal of Firstgroup's logos in place of the new, and small 'operated by First' lettering somewhere.

JaJaWa

Established Member
When a franchise changes hands (or units are moved around) there's more of a reason for rebranding even if there isn't a repaint/refresh straight away as you don't want to advertise someone else for free. As the operator isn't changing (just a rebranding) there's less of an incentive. VTEC haven't removed the 'East Coast' branding from the majority of their mark threes and that IS a change of operator. The most likely scenario is probably removal of Firstgroup's logos in place of the new, and small 'operated by First' lettering somewhere.

They've started removing "First" from Hull Trains, so that's a (low-budget) possibility!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 270

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They've started removing "First" from Hull Trains, so that's a (low-budget) possibility!

It's rather amusing that (based on that photo, at least) Firstgroup's hideous late 1990s moquette is no longer found on Hull Trains ( which is still operated by First) but is still found in an increasingly threadbare state on Grand Central! :roll:

JaJaWa

Established Member
It's rather amusing that (based on that photo, at least) Firstgroup's hideous late 1990s moquette is no longer found on Hull Trains ( which is still operated by First) but is still found in an increasingly threadbare state on Grand Central! :roll:

Yep! I absolutely hate that moquette. Seen it recently in an awful state on Abellio Greater Anglia's 360s (ex - First Great Eastern), Northern 321s (ex - First ScotRail), Tower Transit buses in London (ex - First London) and First buses in Hong Kong (which aren't even part of FirstGroup any more).

GospelOak117

Yep! I absolutely hate that moquette. Seen it recently in an awful state on Abellio Greater Anglia's 360s (ex - First Great Eastern), Northern 321s (ex - First ScotRail), Tower Transit buses in London (ex - First London) and First buses in Hong Kong (which aren't even part of FirstGroup any more).

Eurgh me too. My buses to school around the early 2000's had that awful pink/turquoise seat pattern, they always looked so shabby as CCTV was not common back then and London suburban school kids used the seats as a blank canvas to practice their tags. Those old buses are just a memory now but when I get on a 360 now it is like stepping back 15 years, It always knocks be back. The 360s appear deeply un cared for, shame they can't go over to the great western and join the others currently working for HC and get a bit of GWR green.

Anyway, I think the green will look great on the Thames Valley's future 365's and 387's, that's if the suburban fleet gets it.

cactustwirly

Established Member
When I was on a HST on Thursday, there were tiny 'GWR' stickers in the buffet coach, but nowhere else. There were also massive 'First Great Western' stickers in every coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.