• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Indeed, I'm not sure why First seem to have an odd aversion to it's own identity - Dynamic Lines is a bold but smart and modern look, simple (especially on the Sprinters) and very pleasing to look at. Why they then feel the need after only a few short years to change it and drop it again I don't know - the new FC inspired interiors feel as if First feels rather confused with itself, as if they regret the Michael Rodber inspired refurbishments and want to relive the previous refurbishment with Great Western Trains's Green / Ivory/Light Grey / Wood effect. They have been the smartest refurbishments carried out in years, and still bring out the best in the 143/150/2 & 153 Fleets.

I'm afraid I cannot agree - It just looks far too drab - It might look shiny in the computer render but give it a short time in service and it'll look rather dull in sunshine and drab in dull weather. I also really think it needs something to just break it's dullness up - FGW 'Fag Packet' worked well in this respect by adding the Gold stripe over the off white of GWTs base livery, Same dare I say it for Barbie and Dynamic Lines for the HSTs.

Something else Dynamic Lines on the HSTs does is hide the dirt quite well in Winter - whether or not Green will I don't know, but I'm afraid i'll be one of what will probably the few mourning the loss of Dynamic Lines.

I'm not sure what this obsession with bringing back the past is these day's either. Ok, Call it Great Western. But why try to bring back Brunel's once mighty GWR - London Midland goes by a shorter smarter name, same could really be said for Great Western.

But that's the beauty of opinions for you. If it means goodbye to the plain blue though, then shame.

Wouldn't it look a bit too much like Wisconsin Central's livery/EWS?

I used to quite like Dynamic Lines but I think it's losing it's impact now. Particularly on the darker blue of FGW. I don't really like the blue & pink combo really. I'm definitely in the 'simple, smart and classy' school of thought! FGW Fag Packet looked horrendous in my eyes but I know some liked it.

Agreed!

With the blue and pink, I like the plain colours or the "local lines" variation but not the "dynamic lines" one. Until I saw a local lines unit in real life I hadn't realised it was actually place names and not solid lines like on the FCC version :o (which I also like). While I don't really like the dynamic lines variant, the old gold "fag packet" (:lol:) version looks absolutely horrendous in photos!
The green in the computer render does look good but the real test would be on an actual train :).

As for stations, yeah standardisation would probably be good. Southall's signage dates back from the Thames Trains days (their blue and green colours but with the purple stripes over the old green ones), and are quite faded now, although replacements will probably not include the station names written in Punjabi :(. There is also a CCTV warning sign next to the entrance that has the old Thames Trains logo and contact details stickered over :D.
When out towards Taunton I found many stations in an odd green and orange colour. Which company was that?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Wouldn't it look a bit too much like Wisconsin Central's livery/EWS?
The thought briefly crossed my mind, but with the thinner (and multiple) stripes in a darker and less yellow shade of gold I don't think that there's much of a resemblance. Though it wasn't a particularly serious comment in the first place. ;)

Have to say the LMS Pendelino looks very stylish - shame we'll probably never see one in reality.

Also like the look of the chocolate and cream cl-153 and HST. However not sure that the green changing to chocolate and cream HST works. Might be better if the whole thing were green.

My main concern with all these liveries however is that they would probably be spoiled in reality by the requirement to have doors in contrasting colors to the rest of the bodyside

CosherB

Established Member
My main concern with all these liveries however is that they would probably be spoiled in reality by the requirement to have doors in contrasting colors to the rest of the bodyside

I take it then that you're fortunate enough not to require the benefits realised by the DDA regulations? :roll:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Isn't first dropping the first branding from great western because there rail services have such a poor reputation that it was acting as a contagion on their bus services.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Isn't first dropping the first branding from great western because there rail services have such a poor reputation that it was acting as a contagion on their bus services.

Surely the other way round! (First have themselves been quietly hiding their ownership of some of their bus subsidiaries of late by rebranding- eg in Somerset). While I think there is some sense of a partial turn-around in the reputation of some of First's bus operations (eg in Bristol, where there has been substantial investment, new buses, and fare cuts), the reputation of FGW is, I think, generally better, than their bus operations overall. I would say overall that "First" is something of a tarnished brand, however.

387star

On Moderation
The excellent Fictitious Liveries website has some relevant photoshops:
- Chocolate & cream HST
- Green HST :D
- Chocolate & cream 153

Also has an LMS APT, and someone on RMweb did the Pendolino.

Ouch not a fan very dated
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
With the blue and pink, I like the plain colours or the "local lines" variation but not the "dynamic lines" one. Until I saw a local lines unit in real life I hadn't realised it was actually place names and not solid lines like on the FCC version :o (which I also like). While I don't really like the dynamic lines variant, the old gold "fag packet" (:lol:) version looks absolutely horrendous in photos!
The green in the computer render does look good but the real test would be on an actual train :).

As for stations, yeah standardisation would probably be good. Southall's signage dates back from the Thames Trains days (their blue and green colours but with the purple stripes over the old green ones), and are quite faded now, although replacements will probably not include the station names written in Punjabi :(. There is also a CCTV warning sign next to the entrance that has the old Thames Trains logo and contact details stickered over :D.
When out towards Taunton I found many stations in an odd green and orange colour. Which company was that?

HSTS 180s etc look great as the background blue is painted but looks awful on the units asmit is vinyled with too much going on ie a gradual change on the shade of blue which looks pretty drab in my opinion

Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
The Thameslink 387s could stay as is? They are currently in reverse GWR livery with dark green doors and white sides.

Established Member
The first MkIII is out in the new Livery tonight. Sleeper number 10594 is on the rear of 1C99 currently sat at PAD. Possibly to be taken off at Plymouth.

superalbs

Established Member
The first MkIII is out in the new Livery tonight. Sleeper number 10594 is on the rear of 1C99 currently sat at PAD. Possibly to be taken off at Plymouth.

Any photos available, want to see what they've done!

It is all in one of the magazines in Smiths.

158 modification work shall start 'soon' and likely after the 150/2, delivered in green

What's happening to the 158s? I assume they'll get the TrainFX PIS and the other disability modifications? Hopefully a full internal refurbishment too.. they're "well used" units and beginning to look drab after their last refurb in 2007/2008.

monsento

i wanted to see a 165 but imagine they will just be wrapped although had heard that it causes damage/corosion as water gets trapped so might see a full paint instead, since the network south east livery they always looked a bit unloved to me

GospelOak117

A simple and very classly livery that should hopefully suit everything from sprinters to EMUs and HSTs as much as it does the IEP in that impression. I hope that it looks that good in reality.

I can't say I will miss the ghastly First Dynamic Lines that will also disappear from Thameslink soon. The plain dark blue on 150/1s is nicer but the overuse of pink and purples on the interiors of First's vehicles is horrid. By contrast to the traditional Dynamic Lines variants I actually quite like the new OTT livery worn by the 350/4s on Transpennine Express
The excellent Fictitious Liveries website has some relevant photoshops:
- Chocolate & cream HST
- Green HST :D
- Chocolate & cream 153

Also has an LMS APT, and someone on RMweb did the Pendolino.

Chocolate and Cream 153's not bad!

adc82140

Established Member
Is the livery change a "First" initiative, or has it been dictated from above, and will remain for whoever the next franchise holder is? (as per Scotrail)

jimm

Established Member
Is the livery change a "First" initiative, or has it been dictated from above, and will remain for whoever the next franchise holder is? (as per Scotrail)

All First Group's doing. The DfT has shown no signs so far of following Transport Scotland's example and requiring operators to use a standard livery.

Noddy

As posted in the Night Riviera thread, here is the rather uninspiring unfinished Sleeper.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66024/17148417828/in/photolist-s8m8bm-oSTTWq-qSDSqd-qg8mBe/

Anyone know what the diagonal matt stripe is for?

The whole thing looks unfinished to me-surely there needs to be a GWR logo in the centre a bit like the crest on the old GNER livery. And what's happened to the silver stripe shown on the IEP render.
Just had another look at the IEP render-the matt stripe is there too, complete with the GWR logo centred on it, so I guess the sleeper carriage is unfinished.

Last edited:

VP185

The livery is unfinished, it is to receive the vinyls and a rumoured cast metal 'GWR' logo.

The name of the operator has to show on the vehicle, like CrossCountry where there is now a small 'operated by Arriva DB' on the end vehicles.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
The livery is unfinished, it is to receive the vinyls and a rumoured cast metal 'GWR' logo.

The name of the operator has to show on the vehicle, like CrossCountry where there is now a small 'operated by Arriva DB' on the end vehicles.

It does already - look just to the right of the door where there is an "Operated by First" in white lettering.

VP185

It does already - look just to the right of the door where there is an "Operated by First" in white lettering.

Sorry, that was in response to another post that said the First branding was small. If there wasn't a requirement to display the operators name then it wouldn't even be on there.
CrossCountry sets ran for a long while without the Arriva DB name being applied, Abellio only recently added their name to sets where previously it was just Greater Anglia.

I take it then that you're fortunate enough not to require the benefits realised by the DDA regulations? :roll:

I was not commenting on the necessity or otherwise of contrasting door colors, merely their aesthetic impact on the trains appearance, especially the LMS livery

CC 72100

Established Member
Sorry, that was in response to another post that said the First branding was small. If there wasn't a requirement to display the operators name then it wouldn't even be on there.
CrossCountry sets ran for a long while without the Arriva DB name being applied, Abellio only recently added their name to sets where previously it was just Greater Anglia.

Ah - get you! :)

JaJaWa

Established Member

No it doesn't. It's a branding decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.