• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

superalbs

Established Member
I got a nice ɢWʀ memory stick to celebrate the franchise launch. Five in fact! They're shaped like an 80x and have a tendency to break. (Two of five already down.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
Lets hope the next franchisee doesn't also embark on an unnecessary re-branding it seems to be generic enough surely that it can be easily tweaked for the next operator.

Regarding the metal gWr on the HST powercar, seems reminiscent of the swallow we saw on HST powercars back in the day.

Not a fan of the new standard HST interior though it seems cheap compared to the refurbished first class interior.

CC 72100

Established Member
I got a nice ɢWʀ memory stick to celebrate the franchise launch. Five in fact! They're shaped like an 80x and have a tendency to break. (Two of five already down.)

I'll be on the look out for one... although I'm not a customer ;)

irish_rail

Established Member
Anyone interested, the green set is booked to work the 11.45 to Swansea , and 19.03 to Plymouth today......

Deepgreen

Established Member
Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
I take it the plan is not to rebrand as quick as virgin then?

Have gwr got the go ahead to vinyl the hsts and stock not remaining?

Also why no pictures of the inside of the refreshed turbo?

Seems very few pics of the launch anyway seems odd guess will have to wait for rail mag

I expected fgw branding to have been removed already from trains and stations but hardly any discernible change!!

Oh and someone tell southern to update their auto announcements as they still announce it as fgw at worthing etc

The swt announcements on the other hand sound very pretentious

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
I take it the plan is not to rebrand as quick as virgin then?

Have gwr got the go ahead to vinyl the hsts and stock not remaining?

Also why no pictures of the inside of the refreshed turbo?

Seems very few pics of the launch anyway seems odd guess will have to wait for rail mag

I expected fgw branding to have been removed already from trains and stations but hardly any discernible change!!

Oh and someone tell southern to update their auto announcements as they still announce it as fgw at worthing etc

The swt announcements on the other hand sound very pretentious

No, nothing like Virgin. It's a gradual approach, not a big bang, as I and others have said above already. Lots of trains, including HSTs, will stay blue until they leave GWR-land. Other stock that is staying long-term will be repainted/facelifted at suitable moments, such as all the dmus that will be going through workshops to get accessible toilets fitted.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No, nothing like Virgin. It's a gradual approach, not a big bang, as I and others have said above already. Lots of trains, including HSTs, will stay blue until they leave GWR-land. Other stock that is staying long-term will be repainted/facelifted at suitable moments, such as all the dmus that will be going through workshops to get accessible toilets fitted.

I've said this before, but given ml actually works for GWR, it always seems their internal communication is absolutely useless.

jimm

Established Member
I've said this before, but given ml actually works for GWR, it always seems their internal communication is absolutely useless.

That may be the case but answers on much of what ml raised are just up the thread in the past couple of pages. It's not that hard to have a quick scan backwards.

The green HST is apparently booked for the 15.06 Paddington-Penzance today.

From the Cornwall Railway Society website

The GWR green HST is due to work 1C86 15.06 Paddington - Penzance later today. (Wednesday 23rd September)
Timings in Cornwall Liskeard 19.07, Bodmin Parkway 19.19, St Austell, 1931, Truro 20.00, Redruth 20.10, Camborne 20.18, St Erth 20.28, and finally Penzance at 20.42.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/headlines---latest-reports-and-photographs

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Speaking of the livery does anyone know when the first 150/2 and 158 will be in the new GWR livery?

There should be a 150/2 in the works at the moment, although I presume as it's taken a while to send one back it's either having more corrosion work than originally planned for (the West Fleet 150/2s are having A LOT! Of work doing to them with basically everything from the solebar up to about a foot of steelwork being replaced, as well as the ends) or it was painted Blue then decided to Re=Repaint it Green.

The latter is a possibility - 57605 was repainted Twice at RVEL, that being down to FGW / RVEL not being happy with the original shade of Green.

GWR Larder. One of the stupidest names I've heard of for a while. Along with East Coasts 'Food Bar' (which sounds like some catchy name for a secondary school canteen!). Personally didn't see what was wrong with Express Café, but I suppose that was 'too' old FGW. Perhaps someone needs to remind FGW that a Larder is something you actually store food in, rather than prepare or sell it from!

387star

On Moderation
There should be a 150/2 in the works at the moment, although I presume as it's taken a while to send one back it's either having more corrosion work than originally planned for (the West Fleet 150/2s are having A LOT! Of work doing to them with basically everything from the solebar up to about a foot of steelwork being replaced, as well as the ends) or it was painted Blue then decided to Re=Repaint it Green.

The latter is a possibility - 57605 was repainted Twice at RVEL, that being down to FGW / RVEL not being happy with the original shade of Green.

GWR Larder. One of the stupidest names I've heard of for a while. Along with East Coasts 'Food Bar' (which sounds like some catchy name for a secondary school canteen!). Personally didn't see what was wrong with Express Café, but I suppose that was 'too' old FGW. Perhaps someone needs to remind FGW that a Larder is something you actually store food in, rather than prepare or sell it from!

Let us hope the disabled toilet doors will be green this time or a matching grey perhaps ;)

Will units receive a brand new interior now (the 150s) presume so

Guess units done all in blue etc will be going back in works at a later date to match likewise 166s what a mess this all is... When the turbo and 150/2 refurb started did they not think oh let's use the new gwr scheme ?!

Personally i loved the wessex advertising livery on the 150s thought it suited them well

One unit 150261 I think received a plain blue job and new flooring but no DDA works oddly

jimm

Established Member
Gradual rebranding? What's the point of that - it's just going to confuse people.

Okay, please tell me where you are going to find the paintshop capacity to repaint 53 HST sets (and 118 power cars), five 180s, 57 Turbos, 16 158s, 45 150s, 12 153s and eight Pacers overnight - or stick vinyl on everything, which takes a bit longer than this video in real life... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uTX8M4vsA

cj_1985

Gradual rebranding? What's the point of that - it's just going to confuse people.

If they had done a quick complete relivery, there would be complaints about wasting money.

They don't do a quick relivery of everything, and people moan

They just can't win, can they

berneyarms

Established Member

Just like every other time a TOC changes, or when an airline changes livery - it's never done overnight, but rather over a cycle.

BestWestern

Established Member
If they had done a quick complete relivery, there would be complaints about wasting money.

They don't do a quick relivery of everything, and people moan

They just can't win, can they

Or, just wait a couple of years (supposedly) until the wires are up, the signalling has been sorted, the weekly doses of disruption and the rolling improvement works are complete, and you take delivery of a shiny new fleet of brand new trains already in the new livery....and relaunch it all then??!

Just a thought.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd imagine it is the same for the HSTs. Same seating, new covers after all!

HSTs are all over the shop at the moment, with coaches B/C/D/E & F anything is possible. Any seating plan would be worthless for the time being.

The rest of the fleet should stay the same, although of course both Turbo and West fleets are being progressively fitted with DDA modifications which drastically alter their internal spec.

spark001uk

Established Member

I went down on the sleeper behind Totnes Castle just after it came back from repaint, looked quite nice against the green coach A. Shame it then refused to let its brakes off when they went to shunt the empties back to Long Rock! Not to mention cancelling the summer Saturday hauled services due to no staff, just my luck!!

So anyway, are you going to be changing your name to gwrrich now??? ;)

Attachments

• S1690002.jpg
    S1690002.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 137

jimm

Established Member
Or, just wait a couple of years (supposedly) until the wires are up, the signalling has been sorted, the weekly doses of disruption and the rolling improvement works are complete, and you take delivery of a shiny new fleet of brand new trains already in the new livery....and relaunch it all then??!

Just a thought.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

HSTs are all over the shop at the moment, with coaches B/C/D/E & F anything is possible. Any seating plan would be worthless for the time being.

The rest of the fleet should stay the same, although of course both Turbo and West fleets are being progressively fitted with DDA modifications which drastically alter their internal spec.

Except the shiny new fleet of trains is going to be delivered over something like a two-year period, from a point next year when the first 387s turn up right through until the major timetable recast in December 2018 - at which point the franchise will almost be over, ending in April 2019. So if you're First's management and want to make a big impression well ahead of the next bidding round, it probably makes sense to start the process as soon as you can.

83G/84D

Established Member
That may be the case but answers on much of what ml raised are just up the thread in the past couple of pages. It's not that hard to have a quick scan backwards.

The green HST is apparently booked for the 15.06 Paddington-Penzance today.

From the Cornwall Railway Society website

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/headlines---latest-reports-and-photographs

1C86 1506 Padd - Penzance terminated at Plymouth last night due to power car failure earlier in journey.

BestWestern

Established Member
Except the shiny new fleet of trains is going to be delivered over something like a two-year period, from a point next year when the first 387s turn up right through until the major timetable recast in December 2018 - at which point the franchise will almost be over, ending in April 2019. So if you're First's management and want to make a big impression well ahead of the next bidding round, it probably makes sense to start the process as soon as you can.

But where is this 'big impression'?! One presumes there will be some form of batch introduction of IEP, which surely would have made the desired big impression!

Status
Not open for further replies.