• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPIC

Pointless even talking about it because apparently talking about units vandalised now is considered off-topic and posts are being deleted, this forum is really being over moderated now.

I understand the need for moderation to stop things going wildly off topic but in the wider picture of the ongoing issues with unit shortages pending introduction of the new fleet. If we can't discuss the events that are excavating that problem then there's something wrong.

Let it flow a bit mods, if nobody in the thread has a problem with discussing it is there really a reason for a mod to simply delete posts? Too much over zealous moderation destroying a good community of GA users who use this thread regularly Don't drive them away. .

But this thread is about Rolling Stock Updates, not "I was on XX service today and it was delayed at XX because of XYZ".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
But this thread is about Rolling Stock Updates, not "I was on XX service today and it was delayed at XX because of XYZ".

The posts that were deleted were not about delays to services because of x reason, they were about rolling stock being damaged and unserviceable making the rolling stock shortage worse and the fact that the new trains cannot come soon enough. The lack of rolling stock, the DMU fleet being stretched by a large amount of incidents and the resulting short forms, has pretty much been a key theme of this thread since it was started.

I actually think this thread has been very useful on the whole because it's allowed a very informed discussion on the big transformation of stock in the region, the process of deploying new stock, the effect that the new deliveries have had on the existing fleet, GA's ability to manage effectively two fleets at once. There's already a thread about the FLIRTS and the Bombardier stock, this thread has allowed those two to stay on topic whilst allowing more general discussion about rolling stock here.

This thread also has a number of excellent contributors and has been very informative and has built up a community of GA users. That's excellent and is something that RF should be encouraging, not trying to prevent.

chubs

This thread also has a number of excellent contributors and has been very informative and has built up a community of GA users. That's excellent and is something that RF should be encouraging, not trying to prevent.

We're really lucky to have staff from pretty much all GA departments on here who can answer questions and provide good information.

Many Thanks to them

trebor79

Established Member
Deleted.
Decided this would be better posted on the specific thread for the FLIRTs, so I've moved it.

Last edited:

RailWonderer

Established Member
An incident in the GA network like a fight that led to a 170 having to return to Ipswich for repairs is a rolling stock update. 1 less in service temporarily: if that isn’t a rolling stock update, what is? I think the mods will realise that.

Rolling stock introduction is a waiting game for all but planning and training who are apparently working like Santa’s elves in Crown Point.
As for the 755s, if any are available between 9am-12:30pm and between 5pm-8:30pm they could run the Ni90s and interwork rurals in between then join together for the Ni90.
But the DMU shortage is so chronic Anglia needs all the 755s so I doubt it will happen.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Couple more units gave up the ghost his morning, one believed to be a FLIRT on Norwich to Yarmouth, which was replaced by a single 153 and another DMU from Ipswich to Lowestoft failed at Woodbridge.

dk1

Veteran Member
Couple more units gave up the ghost his morning, one believed to be a FLIRT on Norwich to Yarmouth, which was replaced by a single 153 and another DMU from Ipswich to Lowestoft failed at Woodbridge.
One of the 37s was on reduced power too but looks to be sorted now.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Having missed the recent June estimate for the arrival of the first Class 720 at Ilford, it is starting to seem unlikely that they will enter service in 2019. The latest from GA is still estimating "at the end of 2019" for entry into service.
Is there any further news on the Aventras and the plan for the 317s and 321 that will need mods (or toilets locking out of use) in the new year?

170TurboFan

An incident in the GA network like a fight that led to a 170 having to return to Ipswich for repairs is a rolling stock update. 1 less in service temporarily: if that isn’t a rolling stock update, what is? I think the mods will realise that.

Rolling stock introduction is a waiting game for all but planning and training who are apparently working like Santa’s elves in Crown Point.
As for the 755s, if any are available between 9am-12:30pm and between 5pm-8:30pm they could run the Ni90s and interwork rurals in between then join together for the Ni90.
But the DMU shortage is so chronic Anglia needs all the 755s so I doubt it will happen.

I saw 170203 working Cambridge diagrams from Norwich today so is now back out again in one piece.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not yet allowed to run in passenger service in AC mode & don't think they can yet run in multiple either. Using them on Ni90 would be a total waste with the ongoing local issues.

Class 170101

Established Member
Not yet allowed to run in passenger service in AC mode & don't think they can yet run in multiple either. Using them on Ni90 would be a total waste with the ongoing local issues.

More likely to be a Class 745 to begin displacement of Class 90s. I don't believe the Class 745s are close to being cleared on West Anglia anyway.

DBS92042

Established Member
Does anyone know the headcode and the unit that is on today's Ilford to Kilmarnock? I believe 37800 is providing the traction again.
Thanks in advance

robreed90001

photo from Richard Clinick on Twitter

170207 (pictured) and 170270 have been debranded, due to leave Saturday for TFW?.

5E65A5F1-120B-403B-9DD9-E17D174BC298.jpeg

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Are the 170s already withdrawn?

If not, Greater Anglia are in serious trouble as the Felixstowe line has been shut down due to lack of trains and quite a few Norwich to Cambridge, Ipswich to Lowestoft, Norwich to Lowestoft trains have also been cancelled up until this afternoon.

Next week could be a massacre if they are losing two more trains and no more FLIRTS are ready.

There's also one Class 90 + MK3 set being replaced by a 4 car 321 as 8 cars were not avaliable!

59CosG95

Established Member
Are the 170s already withdrawn?

If not, Greater Anglia are in serious trouble as the Felixstowe line has been shut down due to lack of trains and quite a few Norwich to Cambridge, Ipswich to Lowestoft, Norwich to Lowestoft trains have also been cancelled up until this afternoon.

Next week could be a massacre if they are losing two more trains and no more FLIRTS are ready.

There's also one Class 90 + MK3 set being replaced by a 4 car 321 as 8 cars were not avaliable!
Richard Clinnick said:
The first 2 @greateranglia 170s have been debranded ahead of their transfer to @tfwrail. I hear they leave on Saturday, but will confirm next week. This is the centre-car of 170207. The other set going is 170270. I hear 6 Cl.755/4s will be signed off for passenger use next wk.
Assuming the 755/4s are signed off next week, it'd be sheer lunacy to send the 170s away until their replacements enter service.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Assuming the 755/4s are signed off next week, it'd be sheer lunacy to send the 170s away until their replacements enter service.

Their lease is up and they are due to transfer to ATW.

Many of us did say that the delivery timescales of the new fleets in this bid was very risky when it was announced....

I’ll miss the 170s. I can’t believe the three car variety have been here for twenty years now. In that time they worked to Hull, Basingstoke and through services to Liverpool Street.

Although the availability of the 170s for the Peterborough services hasn’t been great for a while now.

Fingers crossed that the increased 755 workings from next week comes off.

59CosG95

Established Member
Their lease is up and they are due to transfer to ATW.

Many of us did say that the delivery timescales of the new fleets in this bid was very risky when it was announced....

I’ll miss the 170s. I can’t believe the three car variety have been here for twenty years now. In that time they worked to Hull, Basingstoke and through services to Liverpool Street.

Although the availability of the 170s for the Peterborough services hasn’t been great for a while now.

Fingers crossed that the increased 755 workings from next week comes off.
Indeed - on both counts there. 755417 & 755413 entered service today too, although 413 failed at Brandon. :oops:
755410 required a rescue on Wednesday (in the form of 37601) too...

TheBigD

Established Member

The Anglia 2 car 170's also worked the Norwich-Nottingham-Liverpool route during the Ipswich tunnel blockade.

eastdyke

Established Member

LAX54

Established Member
Only 1 x 170 departing the Anglia Region for pastures new tomorrow, seems 270 likes it here so much, it's staying on for a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.