• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia train driver assessment day info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonty

Booked in for Tuesday next week, after I return from Canada over the weekend. Wonder if I will just be sitting the DFFT or all the Stage 1 tests again. XD I've passed them before, I can pass them again!
I did an Assesment with a guy who came in just for 1 test so it should just be the DFFT with any luck . All the best with it .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonty

Ooh that’s fast , yea it happens that way ha ha , I start on Monday :-0

MattyL

Monday, good luck! Where are you based? Is that around a month after your interview?

Jonty

Monday, good luck! Where are you based? Is that around a month after your interview?
Yes it was about 5 weeks I believe , thanks bud, I will be based in Cambridge once training complete .

Termy

Thanks both! Makes me feel a lot better that hopefully it'll just be the DFFT, which I've also done and passed before... just not recently! :) Congratulations on getting on, Jonty! And have a great time at your DMI Matty, hope it goes well!

MattyL

Thanks Termy, good luck to you too.

@Jonty, do you have any advise what to read up on? Just having a look round the GA website, is there anything in particular you'd suggest looking at?

Jonty

Thanks Termy, good luck to you too.

@Jonty, do you have any advise what to read up on? Just having a look round the GA website, is there anything in particular you'd suggest looking at?
download the greater Anglia app , lots of useful information on there ,social media, Wikipedia is helpful also , just learn as much about the company as you can, It’s very similar to you’re mmi but these guys know there stuff about the company and expect you to know it too . Good luck for Friday .

HTB

A friend of mine had a Assessment the beginning of the month and had a email saying the first part was passed but due to limited availability they would be put on a waiting list until future part 2 assessments come up. has anyone else had that?

MattyL

Thanks Jonty, been reading up on GA so will continue looking over next couple of days.

@HTB, i waited around 6 weeks from passing the first assessment until i got informed about the second. I think dates a limited, but I did chase them up after 6 weeks & got offered a date for the week after.

thamba@hotmail

Hi I have passed my first assessment. Thank you all for your support. Can you please let me know what I need to look out for on the 2nd assessment.
Thanks

HTB

Hi I have passed my first assessment. Thank you all for your support. Can you please let me know what I need to look out for on the 2nd assessment.
Thanks

when I had mine I had 3 tests and a interview.

1st test I had to look at a flashing gray square on a white background and tap a buton every time the square went black.

2nd test I had pics show up very fast and then had to mark down what I saw from a list of items.

3rd test i done was a Eye Hand coordination test with 2 joysticks. I had to keep a dot in between 2 lines that made a Shape. I went and got a bop it machine and practiced with that.

The interview was long and they asked about situations I had been in, what I done, how I feelt, could I have done anything diffrent, was I happy with the final result.

Best of luck.

Termy

when I had mine I had 3 tests and a interview.

1st test I had to look at a flashing gray square on a white background and tap a buton every time the square went black.

2nd test I had pics show up very fast and then had to mark down what I saw from a list of items.

3rd test i done was a Eye Hand coordination test with 2 joysticks. I had to keep a dot in between 2 lines that made a Shape. I went and got a bop it machine and practiced with that.

The interview was long and they asked about situations I had been in, what I done, how I feelt, could I have done anything diffrent, was I happy with the final result.

Best of luck.
That very much sounds like the experience I had with OPC and GWR back when I was doing mine for a HEX vacancy a few years ago. I remember the grey square vividly...

HTB

That very much sounds like the experience I had with OPC and GWR back when I was doing mine for a HEX vacancy a few years ago. I remember the grey square vividly...
I think it was about 40 minutes but felt like a lifetime.

Jonty

Yes longest 30 mins of my life to date … still don’t think my eyes have recovered ha ha

MattyL

Yes, the 2nd assessment day is still exactly the same as to how HTB has described it and you do all the tests consecutively. Try not to let your mind drift on the grey square test!

I had a dig around this forum last week and found a good list of MMI questions to expect:

1 - Describe a time where you've had to follow rules and procedures
2 - Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency / unexpected situation
3 - Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks
4 - Describe your greatest achievement
5 - Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone
6 - Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult problem -
7 - Give an example of a time you undertook a task similar to train driver's role
8 - Describe a time when you have worked to a very high standard whilst encountering difficulty
9 - Give an example where you've had to work under pressure
10 - Give an example where you've had to communicate an important message
11- Give an example where you've had to work as part of a team (to achieve a task
12 - Give an example of when you provided high level of customer care and service
13 - Give an example of dealing with difficult and aggressive people
14 - Give an example of working with people from different
15 - Give an example of a project you had to complete and the obstacles you had to
16 - Describe a time when you had a disagreement with your manager and how it was resolved

thamba@hotmail

Hi thank you
I'm guessing three of the test
-Flashing grey
-Joystick
-Flashing pictures
Are on the computers

With the MMI is it like an interview or do I answer the questions on a paper and the interviewer will ask me on what I have written on the answer sheet?

Termy

Hi thank you
I'm guessing three of the test
-Flashing grey
-Joystick
-Flashing pictures
Are on the computers

With the MMI is it like an interview or do I answer the questions on a paper and the interviewer will ask me on what I have written on the answer sheet?
Correct! Those tests are indeed the computer tests. You'll have time to answer the questions on paper, making a few notes (one or two lines iirc) before the interview, and they'll ask you about those situations as well as other things. They put in other random questions for me too that were not related to the paper questions. Research the STAR method of answering, as this will definitely help! Good luck!

Cassy j

Hi Everyone,

Is the ilford depot the Great Eastern Service for GA? is this the most up to date routes below? Wikipedia shows something different. Thank you

Routes:
Liverpool St to Ipswich
Stratford to Orient Way
Shenfield to Southend Victoria
Wickford to Southminster
Witham to Braintree
Colchester to Colchester Town
Manningtree to Harwich Town

Termy

Afternoon, everyone!

I'm so happy to say that it was just the DFFT I sat this morning, and I was told I also passed it... So I am straight through to DMI sometime in December! I'm so happy, I could cry! :D

Hi Everyone,

Is the ilford depot the Great Eastern Service for GA? is this the most up to date routes below? Wikipedia shows something different. Thank you

Routes:
Liverpool St to Ipswich
Stratford to Orient Way
Shenfield to Southend Victoria
Wickford to Southminster
Witham to Braintree
Colchester to Colchester Town
Manningtree to Harwich Town

There's a thread here (https://railforums.co.uk/threads/different-driver-depot-route-and-traction-cards.205085/) which lists the links at each depot. That list seems to match the one you've provided. :)

Jonty

Cassy j

Afternoon, everyone!

I'm so happy to say that it was just the DFFT I sat this morning, and I was told I also passed it... So I am straight through to DMI sometime in December! I'm so happy, I could cry! :D

There's a thread here (https://railforums.co.uk/threads/different-driver-depot-route-and-traction-cards.205085/) which lists the links at each depot. That list seems to match the one you've provided. :)

Seems different to great Eastern in services ?

Termy

Well done termy , was that at solar house ?
It was indeed. I'm London-based, so Solar House was quite convenient for me! A trip down the DLR (in the front driving seat, of course... XD) Solar House seemed quite nice! I liked the bright red seating.

Jonty

Yea it’s a nice place , I started my induction there yesterday but am not back in until Thursday now .

Termy

Yea it’s a nice place , I started my induction there yesterday but am not back in until Thursday now .
Very nice! You must be so excited to be starting stuff! I can't imagine how it feels.

Jonty

We were meant to be there today but the induction was cut short as we did a lot online before we started . Yes I feel very lucky to finally be there. Can’t wait to get cracking with the training next week now . :)

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Afternoon, everyone!

What was it sitting the DFFT & do you get practice material for the test before you sit it?

Termy

What was it sitting the DFFT & do you get practice material for the test before you sit it?

Yes! For all assessments, you get practice materials by email. You're not meant to sit them without receiving these, and you're asked on the day if you received and read them.

The DFFT is the Driver Fault Finding Test, and is a pretty fun one where you look over a train panel to assess for faults (as the name says) and prioritize the order of fixing them.

MattyL

Just received the unsuccessful email from my DMI. So frustrating to have got this far but knew the interview didn't go great so kind of expected it.

Time to look for the next challenge!

Jonty

Just received the unsuccessful email from my DMI. So frustrating to have got this far but knew the interview didn't go great so kind of expected it.

Time to look for the next challenge!
Ahh no , sorry to hear that matty, don’t give up though , email jordan again in 6 months and have another crack at it . All the best. P.S try some other TOCS as you will only have to do the dmi now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.