• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR 365 to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamieP

501 & 505 moved to Ely Papworth today. 527 & 533 should move tomorrow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
This will upset certain forum members

to be fair they are great trains

My first experience of a 365 was in 2001 when I holidayed in Hunstanton. Caught one all the way to Kings Lynn with the windows open hurtling through the numerous tunnels on the ECML was quite an experience!

Class465fan

I do hope someone takes these fantastic units one day. Would be a real shame to see these sit in the middle of nowhere just to rust.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
:( Sad to hear this. Excellent trains.

Fuzzytop

Progress, eh. Hope the 21 going off lease find another use - Cambridge will seem really strange without them.

It’s a real shame that up north we are using absolutely crap life expired 319’s when decent 365’s are going into storage and not being used. Shows that something somewhere is dreadfully wrong imo.

D365

Veteran Member
It’s a real shame that up north we are using absolutely crap life expired 319’s when decent 365’s are going into storage and not being used. Shows that something somewhere is dreadfully wrong imo.

Perhaps because the 365s were not available in 2015 and were destined for GWR initially.

Besides, only 21 is not enough. Introducing them to Northern might also have been more of an operational risk.

Bringback309s

By my screen name you can probably tell I'm upset to hear this but I have no doubt a new home will be found soon. Best EMU since the 309. A real shame considering what junk runs on so many parts of the network

Class 170101

Established Member
Would the 365s keep to time of Class 323 timings in the Manchester area where it has been suggested that Class 319s will not?

mic505

No, because 323's take 1 min 30 seconds compared to 365's which take 2 minutes 30 seconds to accelerate up to 40 mph. 319's take 3 minutes 30 seconds, which is slow.

AlanFry1

Shame GA or London Overground aren't picking them up - they're quite good with gangway space.

AS43

No, because 323's take 1 min 30 seconds compared to 365's which take 2 minutes 30 seconds to accelerate up to 40 mph. 319's take 3 minutes 30 seconds, which is slow.
I'm guessing you've never actually been on a 365, as they most certainly do reach 40mph a lot sooner than that!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm guessing you've never actually been on a 365, as they most certainly do reach 40mph a lot sooner than that!

365s are pretty rapid to accelerate. Not on a par with newer stock, but certainly not slow.

bramling

Veteran Member
Would the 365s keep to time of Class 323 timings in the Manchester area where it has been suggested that Class 319s will not?

The 365 is somewhere in between. Not quite as quick as a 323, but certainly faster and more sure-footed than a 319. Being AC motored they also have the benefit that they don’t die at 80 mph.

It’s all a bit academic though, as when the Thameslink Programme goes the same way as Operation Princess there will end up being some kind of “GN service reliability recovery plan”, and watch out for at least some 365s coming back. Just look at the amount of disruption there’s been on Thameslink in the last couple of weeks alone.

Class465fan

Why would LO take these units? They're medium distance (or are they long distance) trains, and besides LO are to receive brand new rolling stocks anyways so no good there.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
The 365 is somewhere in between. Not quite as quick as a 323, but certainly faster and more sure-footed than a 319. Being AC motored they also have the benefit that they don’t die at 80 mph.

It’s all a bit academic though, as when the Thameslink Programme goes the same way as Operation Princess there will end up being some kind of “GN service reliability recovery plan”, and watch out for at least some 365s coming back. Just look at the amount of disruption there’s been on Thameslink in the last couple of weeks alone.

I think your being very optimistic - GTR would never have such forward planning!

ungreat

I drive 365s and they most certainly do not take 2 and a half minutes to reach 40mph!

Fred26

Why would GTR need them back? If GN through the core is abandoned, surely they'd just continue to use 700s into KGX?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Why would GTR need them back? If GN through the core is abandoned, surely they'd just continue to use 700s into KGX?

My suspicion is that when it all goes wrong fewer services will go through the core from the GN side meaning more services will need to revert to King's Cross. This will require more trains which is where the thought about 365s returning comes from.

James James

Could someone explain what makes these units so great? My memories of taking these between London, Cambridge, and Ely, is them being noisy, uncomfortable to sit in, and terrible luggage storage (once I realised where it was). And odd toilet smells if you sat in the wrong carriage. To be fair I don't spend much time on British EMUs so I don't have much data to compare with...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My suspicion is that when it all goes wrong fewer services will go through the core from the GN side meaning more services will need to revert to King's Cross. This will require more trains which is where the thought about 365s returning comes from.

If it came to that, don't see why they couldn't just keep doing it with 700s into the Cross instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.