• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Brighton services axed from May timetable change

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheek

Established Member
You'd be very surprised - it's regularly full and standing from the Gloucester/Bristol end and right the way through. A handy link for the elderly to save them trekking across London.

I personally would rather see one of the Weymouths cancelled.

Weymouth has services every two hours, with no alternative. Would be daft to reduce that even further

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BayPaul

Established Member
A handy link for the elderly to save them trekking across London.
But they still won't need to go via London. There is an hourly service from Bristol to Portsmouth, with a number of opportunities for same platform changes onto the equally regular Southern services along the coast.

Bishopstone

Established Member
But they still won't need to go via London. There is an hourly service from Bristol to Portsmouth, with a number of opportunities for same platform changes onto the equally regular Southern services along the coast.

With a second change required for destinations east of Barnham, albeit same platform again.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
With a second change required for destinations east of Barnham, albeit same platform again.

That is in the current temporary Southern timetable that runs at the moment, the GWR changes happen in May by which time Southern are planning to revert to the previous direct Southampton to Brighton service.

BayPaul

Established Member
At present. If the coastway timetable goes back to pre-covid, then presumably Brighton - Southampton and Brighton - Portsmouth semi-fast services will return at some point

geoffk

Established Member
Maybe DfT see it as one of the many forthcoming ways of reducing diesel miles on electrified routes. Look out for more.
If not Brighton, where will the GWR service terminate instead - Southampton or Portsmouth? There's no SN Southampton - Brighton service at the moment, just to Littlehampton.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
You'd be very surprised - it's regularly full and standing from the Gloucester/Bristol end and right the way through. A handy link for the elderly to save them trekking across London.
It can't do much for the 'ambience' to be wedged in a packed DMU all the way from Gloucester to Brighton even if someone has kindly given up their seat for an elderly fellow traveller.

TheBigD

Established Member
Maybe DfT see it as one of the many forthcoming ways of reducing diesel miles on electrified routes. Look out for more.

Whilst not in Southern/GWR land, could we see things like XC cut back to Cambridge instead of Stansted Airport with that but of the service covered by GA services?

Graham H

Not seen it mentioned but the early morning service which effectively gets the unit to Brighton serves a number of the smaller stations between Portsmouth and Brighton and has been a very useful work/school trip and a most unusual way to travel

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not seen it mentioned but the early morning service which effectively gets the unit to Brighton serves a number of the smaller stations between Portsmouth and Brighton and has been a very useful work/school trip and a most unusual way to travel
But surely not GWR’s problem. SN should be providing both calls and capacity.

If not Brighton, where will the GWR service terminate instead - Southampton or Portsmouth? There's no SN Southampton - Brighton service at the moment, just to Littlehampton.
If we’re looking at the only weekday eastbound service, the one that starts 1041 from Great Malvern, then it terminates at Warminster from May 16th:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C38335/2022-05-16/detailed

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It can't do much for the 'ambience' to be wedged in a packed DMU all the way from Gloucester to Brighton even if someone has kindly given up their seat for an elderly fellow traveller.
Exactly. Most of the time it's a 3-car 158, although one day last week it was a 2-car 165 with no tables and 3+2 seating - absolutely dreadful.

Graham H

But surely not GWR’s problem. SN should be providing both calls and capacity.

If we’re looking at the only weekday eastbound service, the one that starts 1041 from Great Malvern, then it terminates at Warminster from May 16th:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C38335/2022-05-16/detailed
And they will. As far as I recall, the GW service actually took a path from Southern years ago (10 or more) in return for serving the smaller stations that the original path used to stop at rather than running ecs. I was more commenting on the unusual opportunity to travel from some of the smaller coastway services using a GWR 158 or now a 166

JohnRegular

I suspect a regular (even 1tp2h) Bristol-Brighton service would be well patronised, including a decent number of end-to-end journies, and if it existed now I doubt anyone would want to see it axed. But we don't live in that world, and GWR needs every last carriage it can get working on its core routes. A single same-platform change is perfectly acceptable really.

woolos

Brighton will still have 2 cross county route to the rest of the the county .Peterborough and Bedford.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Brighton will still have 2 cross county route to the rest of the the county .Peterborough and Bedford.
Don't you mean Cambridge instead of Peterborough?

Unless Thameslink are changing things so it's Brighton to Peterborough & Horsham to Cambridge?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You'd be very surprised - it's regularly full and standing from the Gloucester/Bristol end and right the way through.

Are you suggesting full and standing from the Bristol end, all of whom are passengers for Brighton? Ie few people alight at any of the intermediate stations, and by extension there is no room for anyone to board at them either?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Are you suggesting full and standing from the Bristol end, all of whom are passengers for Brighton? Ie few people alight at any of the intermediate stations, and by extension there is no room for anyone to board at them either?
I can't comment on passenger loadings for every single station, but I've spoken to a lot of passengers (I work at Gloucester station) and they've stated that they're travelling to the south coast.

Hopefully, a simple cross-platform interchange is an adequate replacement.

virgintrain1

Today I travelled Bristol to Brighton return. I'd say about 30 % of the original Bristol and Bath passengers were still on east of Fareham. Full and standing east of Southampton in both directions. The direct service saved me about an hour due to the current Southern timetable.

Attachments

• 20220225_171214.jpg
    20220225_171214.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 121

trainmania100

Established Member
Brighton isn't just losing its gwr service , it's losing its only fast service along the west coastway. I guess there's quite a few slow services along the route maybe not enough space for a fast train, maybe no need for a fast train, but for the people that do go to Portsmouth and Southampton the full way, there needs to be more than just a 90 minute stopper

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
That's only because of the Copyhold blockade this week.

Also, Brighton - Southampton/Portsmouth services are returning in May.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Brighton isn't just losing its gwr service , it's losing its only fast service along the west coastway. I guess there's quite a few slow services along the route maybe not enough space for a fast train, maybe no need for a fast train, but for the people that do go to Portsmouth and Southampton the full way, there needs to be more than just a 90 minute stopper
The GWR service had so much pathing time, I wouldn't exactly call it fast.

Towers

Established Member
However, all the 'smaller' station calls were omitted if the booked unit was a two car rather than three, so if travelling to/from those stations the service wasn't entirely reliable.

I realise mine might be a lonely voice, plaintively piping up to say that I shall miss these services, having used them to connect to Gatwick Airport via a convenient, level interchange at Brighton. Certainly a much more leisurely experience compared with the ruck-and maul of the Circle Line from Paddington to Victoria, or (the one occasion of) dealing with the ticketing “GatExtapo” who didn’t believe a First Class open return between Bristol and the airport could possibly be valid on his service.

Still, I suppose the decision is one of those that we will increasingly see, as bureaucratic tidiness starts to take increasing precedence over what the market would actually like!

route101

Established Member
Most (but not quite all) weekends between now and the May timetable change, the Brighton trains won't be running anyway, usually due to some engineering work and bus replacements somewhere along the route between Westbury and Fareham. With that level of uncertainty over whether the trains would actually run at all, it was surely only a matter of time before they were pulled completely.
Yes, I was looking at doing GWR to and from Brighton, services never really operated at the weekend. Only the chance during weekdays?

Brighton to Southampton service, is that getting split too at Barnham?

Status
Not open for further replies.