• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
People complain all the time on GWR Twitter re the seats, especially their hardness. GWRs reply by saying "They are ergonomically designed". I keep telling them they are NOT ergonomically designed because the word refers to "comfort"

Ah, so I am not alone in noticing. Was this not highlighted in Rail Magazines when the journalists were let loose ?

Quite frankly this 800 First Class Offering is below that of the existing GWR HST's , Virgin East Coast HST's , West Coast Pendelinos, Cross Country Voyagers. I can't comment on Midland HST's as I've not been on one.

Are these 800's going to appear with other operators in due course ?

Has someone been sold a pup ? o_O

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
The DFT specified all this as part of the IEP!

Therefore all the TOCS have basically had their hands tied as to the specifications of the trains.

I’m sure GWR or whatever TOC was presented with the trains, would rather prefer the same level of refinement as their current offerings.

As for seats (on any train) I’m sick to death about reading about them on here, it’s all subjective, some folk like them, some folk don’t!

For the love of God, just leave off with the seats! I would rather read banal threads about banning leave at holiday time or excessive whistling at underground stations or any of the other threads that rattle on for hundreds of pages then see one more comment about chuffin’ seats!

dp21

The DFT specified all this as part of the IEP!

Therefore all the TOCS have basically had their hands tied as to the specifications of the trains.

I’m sure GWR or whatever TOC was presented with the trains, would rather prefer the same level of refinement as their current offerings.

As for seats (on any train) I’m sick to death about reading about them on here, it’s all subjective, some folk like them, some folk don’t!

For the love of God, just leave off with the seats! I would rather read banal threads about banning leave at holiday time or excessive whistling at underground stations or any of the other threads that rattle on for hundreds of pages then see one more comment about chuffin’ seats!

Glad someone finally said it.

D1009

Established Member
I had 800 029 for haulage yesterday ( 12th ) so yes it is in service.
Yes, I saw it in platform 13 at Temple Meads yesterday (14th) where it sat from 0818 until 1530 because of train crew issues. I also saw 800030 coupled to 800024 the previous day at Swindon, but they were on a test run from and to North Pole (5X30/5Z31).

bastien

There is a separate Seating Forum here so we don't have to wade through all this backaching / heightbragging, isn't there? Or did I just imagine that in a fever dream?

Butts

Veteran Member

Thanks, I have had a look at all three threads and there is hardly any mention of GWR HST 1st Class comparing it to GWR Hitachi 800 1st Class.

When I travel 1st Class it is normally a treat or to get Lounge Access depending where in the Country I am. I look forward to the whole process and my recent experience of GWR Class 800 left me underhwelmed to say the least. Next week I am going from Cardiff to London and back in 1st Class on GWR, thankfully both services are on HST's.

In my view the GWR HST configuration offers the finest 1st Class Experience anywhere on the Network with the class 800 being a poor substitute.

When is it planned to completely switch over and what will happen to the existing GWR HST 1st Class rolling stock ?

superalbs

Established Member
I had a short ride in Class 800 First Class, and I must say, it was very disappointing. The great ambience of what came before is now replaced with sterile white with head cushions (how fancy?).

I don't travel first often, so it may be nothing, but whenever I've had a look in the First Class on the new trains, can't say it's been very busy.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Thanks, I have had a look at all three threads and there is hardly any mention of GWR HST 1st Class comparing it to GWR Hitachi 800 1st Class.
I've just created a thread where you can discuss the seating/comfort on the IEPs vs the 800s.

I13

1C15 1300 Paddington - Bristol TM was an HST today. 1L48 0929 Swansea - Paddington appears to have been formed of 800s as booked, and when I arrived at Paddington there was a call for Hitachi engineers to go to Platform 10 (which, according to RTT, is where 1L48 terminated).

jimm

Established Member
Yes, I saw it in platform 13 at Temple Meads yesterday (14th) where it sat from 0818 until 1530 because of train crew issues. I also saw 800030 coupled to 800024 the previous day at Swindon, but they were on a test run from and to North Pole (5X30/5Z31).

800030 still on what I assume was driver training runs today by the look of it. Was in the stabling sidings at Reading depot just before 16.30 today, paired with 800026.

Harbornite

Established Member
Many unfavourable comparisons have been made in this thread and other threads referring to seat comfort. A step backwards unfortunately. Some people like them but the vast majority don't.

In your opinion. Some stats would be useful when trying to prove a point...

jimm

Established Member
And on weekend Cotswold services too - the Sunday 12.42 and 14.42 Paddington-Herefords and 15.42 to Worcester and their return workings are usually good bets for 800s, but obviously still no cast-iron gurantee they will be IETs.

Jpeg

And on weekend Cotswold services too - the Sunday 12.42 and 14.42 Paddington-Herefords and 15.42 to Worcester and their return workings are usually good bets for 800s, but obviously still no cast-iron gurantee they will be IETs.
Ah thanks. Am I right in thinking that all the class 800s will be in service by April 2019?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone wishes to discuss seats, please use one of the threads on that subject. Thanks.

Also just a gentle reminder that if anyone has any concerns with any post, please use the 'Report' button to alert us.

jimm

Established Member
Ah thanks. Am I right in thinking that all the class 800s will be in service by April 2019?

All the GWR 800s should be in service by the end of this year. Deliveries of the GWR 802s will run into the early part of 2019.

Someone may know what the delivery schedule is for the East Coast 800s.

Kieran1990

All the GWR 800s should be in service by the end of this year. Deliveries of the GWR 802s will run into the early part of 2019.

Someone may know what the delivery schedule is for the East Coast 800s.

I believe the EC Class 800/801’s will start driver training in the summmsr with passengers seeing them on Yorkshire services (KX-LDS/ KX-YRK) from December. But that isn’t gospal- other forum members maybe able to clarify further

The Ham

Established Member
Goodness me - bi-modes for the MML could be a step backwards. London to Sheffield times were only reduced to 2 hrs when the more powerful 222's were introduced on the route.
If Bi-mode is the only option for MML, then you ned a train that can achieve similar acceleration in diesel mode to at least 100 or 110mph. 125mph preferable. Unless today's technology has advanced far enough forward - the effectively means you would need 5 engines in a 5 -car set rather than 3 at present. As there isn't the space to fit all this, plus the electrical traction equipment - then the only other option is to build an additional dedicated vehicle with either all of the electrical gibbons (effectively a loco without any cabs or at one end of the train with a cab, leaving the 5 engines under each coach (on a 5 car set). Or alternatively build a diesel generation vehicle that fits into the consist, and leave the distributed electrical traction equipment under each coach. Something tells me the latter would be preferred by passengers.

Another option is not to build 5 coach units and only have longer sets, as then there would be scope to have only be 2/9 unpowered which gives them a power boost.

Also IIRC from the thread about bimodals for the MML is that 10 coach (i.e. 5+5) might not fit at some of the platforms at St. P. with 26m stock.

Anyway that's all off topic as there's a suitable thread for such discussions here:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...eplaced-when-the-franchise-is-renewed.158047/

The Ham

Established Member
The problem with Roger Ford, is lots of people take his major criticism of the way they have been procured and the fact the government keep lying about their diesel performance as criticism of the train.

It should also be remembered that St Rodger suggested that it would have been better to have Pendolinos as the cost per coach would have been less (conveniently forgetting that there would be more seats per coach in the 80x's and so the difference was marginal). If we had gone down that route we'd have been all sorts of problems now (I can't imagine that diesel drags to/from Didcot would be working out well, or cheaply, even if enough locos could be found).

I remember replying to a lot of people who were convinced that a lot of things would be very bad by basically saying "until they enter service I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt..." Much of what I defended has been, so far, born out to be OK, with the exception of seat comfort which I said no one would know until they ride on them (which at the time was a fair point and even now the outcome appears to be mixed).

Graeme

A GWR set was outside the Newton Aycliffe factory on Monday morning (19th) - in green but with no titles or numbers yet applied. The set information on A4 sheets was absent from the carriage windows but a sheet bearing "T40" was noted put up at one end. Would anyone have a clue as to its identity? (There were no other sets outside.)

BestWestern

Established Member
It should also be remembered that St Rodger suggested that it would have been better to have Pendolinos as the cost per coach would have been less (conveniently forgetting that there would be more seats per coach in the 80x's and so the difference was marginal). If we had gone down that route we'd have been all sorts of problems now (I can't imagine that diesel drags to/from Didcot would be working out well, or cheaply, even if enough locos could be found).

Had there been a fleet of AC-only Pendolinos under construction, presumably the powers that be would have had the choice of either completing their planned electrification projects as promised, or pleading with the train manufacturer to mess about with the order and shoehorn a diesel engine into them somewhere.

Which is exactly what the situation was with IEP anyway, wasn't it?!

bastien

Had there been a fleet of AC-only Pendolinos under construction, presumably the powers that be would have had the choice of either completing their planned electrification projects as promised, or pleading with the train manufacturer to mess about with the order and shoehorn a diesel engine into them somewhere.

Which is exactly what the situation was with IEP anyway, wasn't it?!

Or parking up any delivered Pendos, cancelling the rest, and only taking the wires to Reading or Didcot for the benefit of the Electrostars. Everyone else gets HSTs for another 20 years...

BestWestern

Established Member
Or parking up any delivered Pendos, cancelling the rest, and only taking the wires to Reading or Didcot for the benefit of the Electrostars. Everyone else gets HSTs for another 20 years...

Unlikely. Government vanity and publicity hype would make that a non-option. Again, they could have done precisely that with IET, but they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.