• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

cambsy

On Moderation
Sleeper not shown as running on real time trains, but don’t know why its not .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
The empty stock moves on to (5A40) & off (5C99) Reading TCD are still showing on RTT for those dates mentioned above.

spark001uk

Established Member
There's likely to be various bits and pieces of OHL installation going on down the variety of routes the NR takes, so I guess they're waiting til a bit nearer the time to decide which way to send it on those days perhaps?

co-tr-paul

57605 becomes the first item of stock to receive attention in the new build part of Long Rock.
Also, it is rumoured that the first refurbished buffet/lounge for the Riviera 10217 should be released from Wolverton end of February...... .
Looks like the Saturday summer veg-ex IS running. Need final confirmation.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
57605 becomes the first item of stock to receive attention in the new build part of Long Rock.
Also, it is rumoured that the first refurbished buffet/lounge for the Riviera 10217 should be released from Wolverton end of February...... .
Looks like the Saturday summer veg-ex IS running. Need final confirmation.

Times downloaded into TRUST recently show it running and as a loco hauled train.

83G/84D

Established Member
I wasn’t aware until recently that access to sleeper berths is now via a keycard system. Seems that a few nights ago on the up sleeper there were problems as the master keycard could not be found and staff had to revert back to the old style key locks . Believe there was a delay to the train as a result.

Reminds me of when I stayed in a budget hotel chain last year. They had keycards but staff at reception said not to worry if the keycards don’t work because a certain supermarkets rewards card will open room doors.
I thought they were joking until so tried it and they were right.
I might try it next time I use the sleeper.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
How many refurbished coaches are there now-and when will it all be done? Booked for April, just wondered if likely to be new or old?

co-tr-paul

There are just 2 SLEPs left in service not done currently on up mon/wed/Fri. First buffet due end Feb. All 3 B coaches done and 1 brake in works. Will update fleet list this week at some point.

spark001uk

Established Member
Is there any inkling of whether we're losing the last of the ic70s in the brakes yet? Or will that not be known until they're eyeballed ex works?

berneyarms

Established Member
There are just 2 SLEPs left in service not done currently on up mon/wed/Fri. First buffet due end Feb. All 3 B coaches done and 1 brake in works. Will update fleet list this week at some point.
Thanks for this - much appreciated!

noddy1878

Established Member
Is there any reason why the refurbed seated coaches have brighter lights than the older coaches. I actually like the refurbs but the lighting is too bright. Why can't they turn it down?

co-tr-paul

When we prepare the set, the lights in A and B and C should be on dim regardless of refurb or not. The onboard staff should leave them as such. We do notice that particularly B coach in the morning, the lights have been left on bright. We put this down to either Reading prep staff or the Exeter based Train Manager checking tickets as its also a commuter service from Plymouth.
If anyone requests that the lights be on dim, it should be respected as this is the train prep standard and I believe I have mentioned this before. The TM SHOULD oblidge !
Saying that, the ambience has been lost somewhat with modern LEDs.... .

All 3 brakes should end up similar to the B coach. Not in our control despite recommendations !

Just had a thought, if anyone in the know has experience of lighting in the new Caledonian stock can say what its like, please post !

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member

Thank you. Much appreciated. Chances are a new one then. Maybe even a new lounge car.

co-tr-paul

GWR Cornish Night Riviera coaching stock update week comm. sun jan 14 2018.
SLEP refurbished:
SLEP unrefurbished:
10590 at Wolverton return imminant
10601 at Wolverton to become DSLEP (easy access toilet and berth)
10612 to be DSLEP
10616 to be DSLEP
A coach BFO unrefurbished
17173 to be BSO
17174 at Wolverton to be BSO
17175 to be BSO
B coach DSO refurbished
C coach RFMB unrefurbished (new TOPS code as yet unknown)
10217 new to fleet at Wolverton
10232 last vehicle in FGW blue. Not being refurbished. Spare until program complete before going off-lease

Of note for modellers, no centre snowploughs fitted to 57s this season. 604 has had its London/Bristol arms GWR crest replaced on one side only by new style GWR branding in gold (not guilty) and will keep its OC tribute branding for a while. 602/3/5 have had PZ allocation emblems added on left hand side under TOPS panel (guilty, design may change). Photos on Flickr.

berneyarms

Established Member
Thanks for the update. It’s very much appreciated.

I hope to sample the service sometime over the summer.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Apologies for the basic questions, but what is the usual formation? How many sleeper coaches? How many rooms/berths in each?

co-tr-paul

Currently A/B/C with D/E/F/G being SLEPs with H on fri down/sun up. 12 berths per coach, all convertable but bedding made up as 6 single, 6 double (which can be made back to single if bookings on the day require) per coach. Seating PZ end, SLEPs London end. Once refurb is complete, an additional SLEP will also be included. Dont know when this will be yet !

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Currently A/B/C with D/E/F/G being SLEPs with H on fri down/sun up. !2 berths per coach, all convertable but bedding made up as 6 single, 6 double (which can be made back to single if bookings on the day require) per coach. Seating PZ end, SLEPs London end. Once refurb is complete, an additional SLEP will also be included. Dont know when this will be yet !

Thank you very much

richw

Veteran Member
I’m booked (with 2 fellow forumers) on a Friday up in February. We’ve been allocated coach A, so am I right in thinking As aren’t refurbed yet?

We’re coming back down the Waterloo to exeter for a change (aka very cheap advances)

noddy1878

Established Member
Thanks for info regarding lighting. I’ve never known the lighting in coach B to be anything but bright where as in A it’s dim.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
What coach letter will the DSLEP be? Will it affect the berth numbers in that coach?

Where will they take the refurbished coached to cause thy used to go to Old Oak Common?

co-tr-paul

I dont think there is a set letter yet for the position of the DSLEP (1 per set) but D would be logical as its closest to the lounge car. There will be different berth numbers in that coach as there will be both a larger berth and an easy access toilet too.
The lastcoach received came down in the usual way, road to OC, fitness to run exam, then ECS in set to us for exams. OC is not wholly closed yet.

cambsy

On Moderation
I’m travelling on 6th Feb Par-Padd Night Riviera, and from co-tr-paul make up of coaches, cant make out the likely formation and which coach likely be refurbed or not, so if offered say coach B, can I know if this is refurbed or not, so can turn it down for refurbed coach, thanks

FGW_DID

Established Member
Where will they take the refurbished coached to cause thy used to go to Old Oak Common?

I dont think there is a set letter yet for the position of the DSLEP (1 per set) but D would be logical as its closest to the lounge car. There will be different berth numbers in that coach as there will be both a larger berth and an easy access toilet too.
The lastcoach received came down in the usual way, road to OC, fitness to run exam, then ECS in set to us for exams. OC is not wholly closed yet.

We’ve had at least one coach delivered to Reading by road. Once OOC finally closes its doors, this will be the most likely option?

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member

I’m guessing this will take up two rooms, so current berths 1,2,3,4 will become 1,2 & the following numbers will all move down 2. Useful to know numbers when trying to book interconnecting rooms. Currently 1&2 connect with 3&4. 5&6 with 7&8 etc. In that coach the connecting numbers will be different.

co-tr-paul

I’m travelling on 6th Feb Par-Padd Night Riviera, and from co-tr-paul make up of coaches, cant make out the likely formation and which coach likely be refurbed or not,so if offered say coach B, can I know if this is refurbed or not, so can turn it down for refurbed coach, thanks
Tues 6 Feb up should have all refurb sleepers. Seated brake a and buffet c unrefurb, b coach refurb. Subject to shunts.... . Points of ticket sale can't tell you if a coach is refurbished or not.

Reading did indeed have the last coach re delivery and this now looks to.become normal.