• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

co-tr-paul

Due out of Wolverton next week is SLEP 10596 with 10590 taking its place. This will leave 601,12,16 afterwards which will become SLEPDs with an easy access berth and toilet.
Please don't ask about the buffet - you'll only get laughed at same as I do when I ask...... !
Traincare messoom and stores building now gone and first motive power into new shed now expected this month.
57603 did a driver training run to Par yesterday and Reading train care staff due to be trained next week in readiness for the delayed start of weekday prep instead of at OC.

Last edited:

What else have they got to do and Last night when I was going to The Range I saw the GWR logos on the new shed

co-tr-paul

IMG_20171205_082112916.jpg Depot was signed over yesterday (wed). Whilst staff building ready and in use, shed area still needs electrics such as depot protection and signalling done. Trackwork from new build to yard, new shuntspur and Walters siding groundwork being done along with train care messroom/store.
First train in new shed should be one night next week, an XC Voyager to test sleuceing on road B and a 57 on C on 18th. Old shed becomes road A.
New Sleeper vanity packs due to be replaced again when current stocks run out.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Hello. Just wondering if any guest 57s are expected in the next week, or just the GWR lot? Thanks.

co-tr-paul

Any DRS hire-ins are only for ecs/emu moves London end as their reliability is far less than than ours and only used for the Night Riviera as a last resort - official policy !! That said, we expect to service any hire-in here after december so they will turn up more often, double head/TNT with ours. 604 prime favourite to be first 57 in on 18th but I shall be on holiday so can't confirm until 23rd.

83G/84D

Established Member
Tonight’s up sleeper (1A40) is an HST! The 57 (57602) did an HST drag from Penzance to Laira this morning but returned to Penzance this evening so wonder why an HST?

co-tr-paul

Its because I'm now off for a week (long story!). No problems at 1615 coaching stock has had no power supply all day due to no loco and new shed shore supply not working so just guessing could be an issue caused by that. I can't confirm until 23rd...... .

83G/84D

Established Member
It may be that Penzance will be short of an HST tomorrow morning. Unless the sleeper coaches form a daytime run to Paddington tomorrow!

Unlikely I know but anything is possible.

co-tr-paul

On tues 19 dec, 57604 became the first motive power in the newbuild part of the shed albeit for photos only. Still awaiting track circuit work for regular use to start. SLEP 10534 cameback from internal refurb Christmas Eve leaving just 4 SLEPs untreated.
The stats are in for this years haulage of the Night Riviera which can be found on RMWEB under Special Interests, The Railways Of Cornwall section.

Last edited:

Steve14

I saw a class 47/57 this morning with ab INTERCITY livery at OOC, couldn't quite catch what it was exactly as the train i was on was pelting it past! Is this part of the night riviera fleet?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I saw a class 47/57 this morning with ab INTERCITY livery at OOC, couldn't quite catch what it was exactly as the train i was on was pelting it past! Is this part of the night riviera fleet?
If it was an Intercity liveried 47 I’d assume that it was the preserved 47828?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
If it was an Intercity liveried 47 I’d assume that it was the preserved 47828?
Has that not moved since it was there for open day in September?

Oh imagine 47828 on the sleeper, that be epic

spark001uk

Established Member
I was informed last summer during a conversation (whilst on board said service) by a source involved with its running that it will almost certainly run in 2018. I can't vouch 100% for it still being the case now, but that's what I was told.

co-tr-paul

We, who maintain it, were informed last summer that it would be its last, as posted on here several times. When/IF it runs this year, it will be posted on here almost first before anywhere else, unless I'm off.
Its still all subject to cascade of course.......!
SLEP 10601 is next in line for refurb and will be the first back with an easy access berth along with 612,6.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Can’t seem to find sleeper on fri 25th january evening departure from Penzance on ticket websites, is there no sleeper that night

spark001uk

Established Member
Looking on GWR booking engine, the up sleeper isn't available from 23rd to 28th Jan inclusive.

cambsy

On Moderation
How many sleepers will be refurbished by feb 4th-10th, am I guaranteed a refurbished sleeper if trvavelling then, doing 7 day 1st class ALR and will use Night Riviera for one of the nights at least.