• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AnthonyRail

Established Member
had my first class 57 mainline haulage on Saturday from Exeter to Plymouth.

made good use of Devon day ranger

co-tr-paul

Not due to meet its maker until internal refurb complete on the others so safe yet. Currently spare in shunt spur. First TSOD now due September. First SLEP is still a shell..... ! There will be an extra brake on the locals tomorrow as 17175 will be on test re consistant electronic parking brake problems. I can give notice of when 232 will be going in set but bear in mind I have quite afew days off over the next month or so...!!

Last edited:

DenmarkRail

SPOTTED

FGW BLUE SLEEPER COACH
M6 at Junction 6, on the back of the lorry.

Any ideas why?

-G

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Heading for repaint 10584. Don't know why not being taken by rail.

If it's just one vehicle it seems to be very common to take them by road. Usually cheaper and logistically simpler I believe in these enlightened times.

Defiance149

J6, you say? Wonder why it got routed via Spaghetti Junction when the most direct Penzance-Kilmarnock route is via M5 Jct 1, where the M5 meets the M6?
Would have come from Old Oak Common and is destined for Glasgow Works.

co-tr-paul

Info: Todays down sleeper loco will be dragging a dead HST from Long Rock to at least as far as Plymouth. Times unknown. Cameras ready..... .

samshltn

Cant remember who requested notification, blue RFMB 10232 has been put into use, on the up Friday following an electrical failure.

I'm on the sleeper tonight, from PAD to PNZ, and back up on Sunday night. Is there anything interesting, unusual or irregular I should be aware of?

Domh245

Established Member
Thanks CosherB. It's funny, I read that article just before I came here to ask the question. Can you see anywhere in the place you linked to that answers the question I asked? Or... do you know the answer please?

wikipedia said:
It usually consists of seven air-conditioned Mark 3s carriages but in times of high demand it can be to nine.

Last paragraph before the references

samshltn

I was hoping for a bit more detail than I'd already found myself. For example, from front to back, what coaches are of what type (SLE, SLEP, SLED, TSO... etc....). I'd assumed that a forum of rail experts could have given me a bit more depth than Wikipedia!

I'm aware that the service generally consists of roughly eight Mk3's, which are air conditioned, but if anyone knows any further details I'd be very grateful.

sciisfun

I was hoping for a bit more detail than I'd already found myself. For example, from front to back, what coaches are of what type (SLE, SLEP, SLED, TSO... etc....). I'd assumed that a forum of rail experts could have given me a bit more depth than Wikipedia!

I'm aware that the service generally consists of roughly eight Mk3's, which are air conditioned, but if anyone knows any further details I'd be very grateful.

If you want a specific answer then ask a specific question, the questions you asked were indeed answered
How many coaches, what type, etc?
I'm sure If you ask nicely then one of the lovely chaps or chappets on here will be happy to oblige!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
also with just a little research it looks like: loco, 4x sleeper, 3x seated, or reversed, depending on directionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ZT1rfRvx8

co-tr-paul

Friday night down will be loco,BSO,TSOD,RFMB,5x SLEP coaches. Same Monday up but loco at other end. Could have given you exact numbers but finished work now... !

Last edited: