• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jj1314

I was on this morning's Night Riviera (Paddington to Penzance). It was my first trip on LHCS in a while and I've a question.

As we were given the whistle to pull clear of St Erth, the train continually 'lurched' (quite significantly!) 10 to 20 times during the acceleration phase and didn't appear to gain much speed until well beyond the station.

What is this, what is the likely cause and is it 'normal'? I assumed it might be wheel slippage on a gradient or due to leaf mulch. Could somebody here help solve this fascinating - if slightly annoying - mystery from the end of my journey? Thanks!

richw

Veteran Member
I was on this morning's Night Riviera (Paddington to Penzance). It was my first trip on LHCS in a while and I've a question.

As we were given the whistle to pull clear of St Erth, the train continually 'lurched' (quite significantly!) 10 to 20 times during the acceleration phase and didn't appear to gain much speed until well beyond the station.

What is this, what is the likely cause and is it 'normal'? I assumed it might be wheel slippage on a gradient or due to leaf mulch. Could somebody here help solve this fascinating - if slightly annoying - mystery from the end of my journey? Thanks!

It's wheel slip, the night riviera seems to be more noticeable. It had so much struggle one evening last week it was held for a couple of hours at st Austell so it could run behind the rail cleaning train that was due to leave Par at 0115.

jj1314

It's wheel slip, the night riviera seems to be more noticeable. It had so much struggle one evening last week it was held for a couple of hours at st Austell so it could run behind the rail cleaning train that was due to leave Par at 0115.

Ah hah. Excellent, thanks for such a quick reply. I was in the rear coach and assume the effect would have been magnified here?

fgwrich

Established Member
Truro and St Erth both seem to be hot spots for wheel slips on the down Night Riviera.

Reading West seemed to be particularly bad as well today, with 150001 taking several attempts to pick up traction - ironically with the RHTT sat behind it.

83G/84D

Established Member
Tonight's up sleeper made hard work of the section from Bodmin and Liskeard, a known slipping site and it has been drizzling.

devonexpress

By the way Paul good photos of the interior, I will be going in it on Monday to take photos of the interior and if anyone has Facebook could you like my page which I will have photos on it most of the time https://www.facebook.com/GWR-Sleeper-Day-Refurbished-Coaches-Long-Rock-Depot-1750542611891142/

Its a shame GWR have 3 different styles of green interior why didn't they just keep the Night Riviera interior the same as First Class which would have looked a lot better.

co-tr-paul

As the whole repaint and refurb.is so beset with.problems and delays, we should have done what I suggested some 4 years back, get newbuild !!

On Moderation
As the whole repaint and refurb.is so beset with.problems and delays, we should have done what I suggested some 4 years back, get newbuild !!

It's a fair point. An add-on order to the Caledonian Sleepers CAF build would have made a lot of sense.

Steve14

1C99 2345 London Paddington to Penzance, currently running 5 mins early. Which loco is on this tonight? Also i saw bright lights at the bottom of the loco, can anyone tell what these are used for?

83G/84D

Established Member
From the information I have 57604 would not start at Paddington, 08 sent from Old Oak Common to drag 604 to depot for attention. Train left 146 minutes late with 57306 on rear as insurance.

Later in journey a combination of low power on 57604, hauling a dead 57306 and adhesion issues in Cornwall resulted in Penzance being reached 132 minutes late.

Established Member
From the information I have 57604 would not start at Paddington, 08 sent from Old Oak Common to drag 604 to depot for attention. Train left 146 minutes late with 57306 on rear as insurance.

Later in journey a combination of low power on 57604, hauling a dead 57306 and adhesion issues in Cornwall resulted in Penzance being reached 132 minutes late.

Also dragging brakes on one of the coaches

co-tr-paul

Fri night down with 605 was smoking quite a lot. May be a light loco move from OC Sunday as assurance for the sun up so keep eye.out if photographing..... .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fri nights down had 605 smoking quite abit
May be a light loco move from OC sent as assurance for the sun up.
Albert's siding and through running road now a building site, new walkway and access steps at Old Bank and TSOD 12161 has gone for both interior refurb and repaint.

Phil.

Established Member
Just an aside. What's the van on the Pz end? I noticed it to-day as I passed Long Rock on my way to Marazion. It looks a bit like a plated over BG.