• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

nat67

Established Member
Also anyone who wants to do cheap IET/HST bashing, I strongly recommend the Cherwell Ranger, £3.80 Child price, £7.60 adult, valid only on Weekends but unlimited travel between Banbury and Reading (via Didcot or fast).
Cheap idea to pick up some IETs - if the weekend diagrams are operating that is!
I would try to stay on HST bashing rather than (Super Hitachi Inter-City Trains) ****'s thankyou. Done loads of Cherwells you can rack up about 300 miles in one day going between Didcot- Reading.

spark001uk

Established Member
{PHILIPE once again leans forward and prepares his red hot O/T poker....} ;) ;)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
{PHILIPE once again leans forward and prepares his red hot O/T poker....} ;) ;)

There is a reason for this as it's a fairly long thread and to which people might want to refer back to check information re diagrams. This can be made more difficult if one has to wade through a lot of off topic posts. The Mods have also pointed the off topic issue a couple of times already and I hope they don't mind me posting this.

spark001uk

Established Member
There is a reason for this as it's a fairly long thread and to which people might want to refer back to check information re diagrams. This can be made more difficult if one has to wade through a lot of off topic posts. The Mods have also pointed the off topic issue a couple of times already and I hope they don't mind me posting this.
Absolutely agree. It was intended as a light-hearted quip, hence the ;) ;)

D1009

Established Member
What are next week's new diagrams? One potentially seems to require some splitting. From RTT I have them as:

2Y03 0603 Bristol Temple Meads to Weston-super-Mare 0634
1A07 0648 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads 0723
joins
5A07 0638 Stoke Gifford to Bristol Temple Meads 0703
to from
1A07 0730 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington 0912
1B20 0945 London Paddington to Swansea 1242
1L66 1328 Swansea to London Paddington 1632
1B63 1715 London Paddington to Swansea 2023
splits
1B63 2034 Swansea to Carmarthen 2123
5B63 2127 Carmarthen to Swansea 2213

and

1L32 0658 Swansea to London Paddington 0957
1C10 1030 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads 1211
1A18 1300 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington 1438
1C20 1530 London Paddington to Weston-super-Mare 1750
1A29 1809 Weston-super-Mare to London Paddington 2014
1C31 2045 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads 2228
5C31 2258 Bristol Temple Meads to Stoke Gifford 2330

It looks like movements into Maliphant Depot don't make it onto the Network Rail feed.

There also seems to be a working to Chippenham late evening although it is not clear which unit they use.

5T32 2214 Bristol Temple Meads to Chippenham 2236
1T32 2259 Chippenham to Bristol Temple Meads 2331
5T33 2338 Bristol Temple Meads to Stoke Gifford 0002

Has the issue regarding splitting and joining in passenger service been resolved yet? If not, can Carmarthen take a 10 car and be in clear?

reddragon

Established Member
Class 800 time keeping seemed very bad this week with them being turned at Reading to recover lost time.

Yesterday, 7th neither early afternoon services passed Reading

D1009

Established Member
Has the issue regarding splitting and joining in passenger service been resolved yet? If not, can Carmarthen take a 10 car and be in clear?
The answer to my first question seems to be no, as 5A07 has now disappeared from RTT.

Any 800s tomorrow?

Do you look at Real Time Trains? They provide a good clue, although not 100% reliable. They are showing 2 800s from Paddington to Bristol in the morning off North Pole and 2 from Bristol off Stoke Gifford, though one of the latter is the 0645 to Swansea to start. No line closures on the main GWML tomorrow it seems. Hope this helps.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thanks but on Realtime Trains it shows all 800s as HSTs! I know the 800s come from North Pole and HSTs from OOC but I don't know what comes from where on the passenger service diagrams it shows!

Thanks but on Realtime Trains it shows all 800s as HSTs! I know the 800s come from North Pole and HSTs from OOC but I don't know what comes from where on the passenger service diagrams it shows!

Yes all 125s and 800s are indeed shown as HSTs, to clarify, you will see 2 North Pole to Padd ECS 5xxx in the morning and 2 Stoke Gifford to Bristol TM ECS 5xxx also in the morning. Then match the platform number arrival to the next departure from the same platform

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh ok thanks! Will the IETs eventually be shown as IETs? I don't imagine you would know but I do wonder...

Oh ok thanks! Will the IETs eventually be shown as IETs? I don't imagine you would know but I do wonder...

I don't myself know. I'm just an enthusiast, someone else may. The GWR timetables now simply show a square box instead of a H for HST so no clue there. And RTT still currently shows 75mph 15x for all regionals in Bristol area despite Turbo introduction on some services

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The open data shown on websites such as Open Train Times, Realtimetrains etc shows timing loads (click that link for more information); it does not show allocations. Allocation of particular vehicles to particular services are not known* until the day (and should normally be requested in TOPS Requests)

In some cases the timing load can be indicative of a plan to allocate a particular type of train to a particular service, but not always.

(* With some exceptions which can be deduced from the previous days workings)

I don't myself know. I'm just an enthusiast, someone else may. The GWR timetables now simply show a square box instead of a H for HST so no clue there. And RTT still currently shows 75mph 15x for all regionals in Bristol area despite Turbo introduction on some services
That's because the visible timing loads will not have changed.
Is there no function for splitting threads?
It is very time consuming for us to do this. It can be done, but it is not always easy! We may be able to consider requests; if you use the report button on whatever you think the first post of the new thread should be, and give us suggestions for the new thread title, and a list of which posts should be split off, this may increase the chances of us doing it.

See this, from another thread, regarding what to do if you either wish to discuss something off-topic, or reply to someone who has already gone off-topic:

Just a gentle reminder this thread is to discuss [thread title].

Feel free to use an alternative thread (create one if there isn't one already) to discuss anything else.

If anyone has already gone off-topic, you can quote them in the new thread.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thank you @yorkie that is helpful information regarding the Realtime Trains timings. :)

From what I have gathered from
RT services will run tomorrow, I intend to catch two of them between Reading and Didcot.

Thank you @yorkie that is helpful information regarding the Realtime Trains timings. :)

From what I have gathered from
RT services will run tomorrow, I intend to catch two of them between Reading and Didcot.

0730 Bristol-Paddington (800) passed Slough Railcam about 30 minutes late. Train fault reported in National Rail

wls1

Some IEP services today are 5 carriages as there's not enough TEs to have more than 2 staff on the trains so the rear 5 is locked oou.

1L48 1229 Swansea-Paddington just passed Slough Cam only single 800

TheAdelante

It was opened from Reading. Was that you I just stood next to taking a photo plat 7?

It might have been me if it was at about eleven am, because I was on Platform 7 then (country end).

TT-ONR-NRN normally spots at the London end when at Reading. Plus currently is holding a Dominos Pizza bag because we went there earlier before splitting up, he went to catch an IET, I went to get some turbo action.

Status
Not open for further replies.