• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think some people have misunderstood what I was asking here. So I shall see if I can find somewhere else when I can get the info about the tests. Btw when I said the line from Penzance to Paddington I didn't mean all the way to Paddington. I meant the line that runs through castle cary and athelney

I'm afraid I misunderstood due to the fact that you mentioned Paddington and it has become clearer now you have mentioned Castle Cary and Athelney. Mentioning Cogload Jn threw me also as both routes pass through Cogload Jn, being the junction for the two routes. I suggest that you watch RTT regularly to find out when they will be running and the times and route. To narrow down the list of trains at a location, select STP option

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
800306 and 800308 are both out today with 306 on the 1445 to Swansea and 308 on the 1700 from Bristol Temple Meads. Have these two set been in service before today?

They wont be in passenger service until 20th August. They are currently running regularly from Stoke Gifford to Penzance for testing and driver training
Has been suggested that it could be September now too. I'd say anytime between August 20th and anytime September.

Established Member
I've heard September mentioned as well. I guess the pressure's off now with the postponement of the Jan 2019 timetable.
But isn't the pressure only off if the cascade of hsts to Scotrail is also postponed? As I understood it, the two hsts that were due to leave GWR last month were only held back a month or so to cover until the August 20th date, but I can believe my interpretation is overly simplistic.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
August 20th is still the date for the introduction on the West of England services. After that it gets a bit tricky to predict as delivery promises are still going backwards.

The Wabtec position allowed the retention of the two sets that were due to go in June. They now go back in August and September, making three returning in each of those months. The July two still go as planned.

If the acceptance of another 9 car 800 set goes as planned tomorrow, we are good to go for another two HST diagrams being converted as from Monday.

D1009

Established Member
But isn't the pressure only off if the cascade of hsts to Scotrail is also postponed? As I understood it, the two hsts that were due to leave GWR last month were only held back a month or so to cover until the August 20th date, but I can believe my interpretation is overly simplistic.
Well I could be wrong, but my perception was the HST vehicles headed for Scotrail had already been taken out of GWR service and the delays were down to problems modifying them.

Been confirmed that crew training on the IETs has begun in the far west and should be ready in time for September.

Flinn Reed

As GWR operate a modified timetable in the Summer on intercity services to the West of England, in order to provide more direct services from London to Cornwall. Is it yet known what services will be operated by IETs in the Autumn from London to Devon/Cornwall?

D1009

Established Member
First IETs in passenger service to Devon will be from Saturday 28th July. 9 car Class 800/3. Initially Saturdays only.

0818, 1018, 1218 Paddington to Paignton services and their return workings at 1308, 1450 and 1700. Due to Newbury blockade all will run via Swindon (not all calling) and Westbury.
Is this still happening tomorrow? I heard a rumour that it was only going to be the 0818 and return.

Is this still happening tomorrow? I heard a rumour that it was only going to be the 0818 and return.
Was going to ask the same thing. Apparently 1C75/1A84 will be an IET tomorrow subject to any issues, however it may not make it to Paignton due to staffing issues. Anyone able to confirm?

irish_rail

Established Member
Well I believe there are sufficient drivers now to operate the Paignton bit in fact I had a conversation with a driver who is possibly working this tomorrow he seemed to think it is happening so don't give up just yet

Well I believe there are sufficient drivers now to operate the Paignton bit in fact I had a conversation with a driver who is possibly working this tomorrow he seemed to think it is happening so don't give up just yet
Am not, going to keep an eye on it tomorrow morning. Thanks for your info.

jimm

Established Member
IETs now working on services between London and Oxford (as opposed to continuing past Oxford on to the Cotswold Line) - a five-car 800 was pulling out of Reading working the 08.50 from Paddington as my train arrived this morning. Can't remember the set number.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
As of 06:48 (usual disclaimer of it could change applies)

1C75 08:18 Paddington to Paignton allocated 800 309.

Nothing currently allocated to 1C78- the 10:18 departure.

12:18 and 16:30 both allocated HSTs.

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member

I can confirm that the 13.08 Paignton to Paddington was a nine car 800 yesterday (28th July). I saw it running in to Dawlish, assumed it was on test/crew training, but then saw passengers on board. It then made it's booked stop at Dawlish station at the same time as a -slightly late- down HST.

Agdron

Seems I was in the wrong place at the wrong time on Saturday. Passed Cogload 14:49. Anyone know of any runnings for them throughout the week (on the discussed routes here(I'm aware of the three Stoke Gifford Runnings to Plymouth this week))

D1009

Established Member
Seems I was in the wrong place at the wrong time on Saturday. Passed Cogload 14:49. Anyone know of any runnings for them throughout the week (on the discussed routes here(I'm aware of the three Stoke Gifford Runnings to Plymouth this week))
When you request information on this forum, you should really make it clearer what specific information you want. I managed to work out from memory of your previous posts that you are interested in the section between Castle Cary and Cogload, but if you don't make that clear each time, people won't understand what you want and most likely ignore you. Phrases like "on the routes discussed" are most unhelpful as the thread has discussed all of the routes on which the IETs operate.

Agdron

Well initially I was thinking there was enough competency to figure it out, considering the conversation is currently talking about the Cornwall and Devon Routes for these trains!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Well initially I was thinking there was enough competency to figure it out, considering the conversation is currently talking about the Cornwall and Devon Routes for these trains!

There are many points of discussion on the thread which all come under the banner of the title thread

Would anyone be able to confirm the 08.18 Pad-Pai on this coming Saturday, I know it's early but I'm off this week and could risk getting a rover to cover the Chippenham-Westbury section for a 800

PreciousPasta

How many of the Paddington to Weston-super-Mare services are now operated by 80x units? I'm travelling down next Monday and I'd like to go on one if possible.
Apologies if this has been covered - I haven't been keeping up to date on this thread and I don't really want to sift through multiple pages of discussion for probably outdated information.

cactustwirly

Established Member
How many of the Paddington to Weston-super-Mare services are now operated by 80x units? I'm travelling down next Monday and I'd like to go on one if possible.
Apologies if this has been covered - I haven't been keeping up to date on this thread and I don't really want to sift through multiple pages of discussion for probably outdated information.

Most of them are HSTs AFAIK, I think there's an evening diagram that is a 800

Status
Not open for further replies.