• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimm

Established Member
I didn't say I had seen anything happen in Cornwall. The claims about a door being opened adjacent to a ramp were being made by embers25 in post 1015, so that's who you will need to ask for more detail about what happened.

What I can say is I have done a good few journeys over the past 11 months on 800s, both five-car and nine-car, plus one on 802101, in other places with short platforms and not known any such thing to happen.

Given the way almost any issue, however minor, related to the IETs gets pounced on at this forum and elsewhere and nothing at all has been said about doors being opened next to ramps that I have seen, it would be interesting to know some more about what happened.

The doors on 80x trains can be operated in a number of ways, detailed in the technical specification. See pages 45 to 47.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s/attachment_data/file/82840/tts-redacted.pdf

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
What was said above, if you read it carefully, is that a door or doors opened adjacent to a platform ramp, not well off a platform end.

All it would take for that to happen is for a train to pull up fractionally short of the stop board at a station where the rearmost door that should open would be very close to the end of the level part of a platform.
Also many stations do not have ramps, or trespass guards at the top. Not sure this applies anywhere in Cornwall yet.

embers25

Established Member
The platform is counted from white line to white line, the ramp is not classed as useable and so technically it’s a release off the platform. Does the driver release the doors on IETs after checking the DOO cameras or does the Guard have full door control?

If it happens on every train clearly there’s an issue, if it’s only the 1 train you saw that’s more of a fault of the crew.

May have been a 1 off but people were struggling to get down both times and each time the guard, nearby, offered no help choosing to walk the other way! It used to happen a lot with bikes at Westbury until they fixed the procedure there (although Westbury platform staff are usually on it and generally very attentive). I'm sure it's been figured out by now and won't happen again and certainly don't want to get the crew in trouble as there may have been a good reason for it.

pompeyfan

Established Member
On west of England operation, is it driver release, guard close or guard has full control?

I know they can be run in a variety of ways but just trying to get an understanding how they are usually run with two crew onboard.

CMRail

On west of England operation, is it driver release, guard close or guard has full control?

I know they can be run in a variety of ways but just trying to get an understanding how they are usually run with two crew onboard.

Driver release on most trains GWR operate now (165,166,387,800,802) and Guard locks. The Selective Door Operation is automatic and the same issue was at Kemble; the doors opened off platform in coach A as the stock marker makes the train one door off, where as the SDO system is programming it as on platform.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Driver release on most trains GWR operate now (165,166,387,800,802) and Guard locks. The Selective Door Operation is automatic and the same issue was at Kemble; the doors opened off platform in coach A as the stock marker makes the train one door off, where as the SDO system is programming it as on platform.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I notice that Dilton Marsh now has a sign saying do not release doors, guard to local door only. Surely that’s setting the drivers up for a fall, mind you they’re highly paid members of staff so I suppose they’re expected to not make mistakes.

Anyway, back on topic before I get poked sure the naughty stick.

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks for that. Very interesting. I notice that Dilton Marsh now has a sign saying do not release doors, guard to local door only. Surely that’s setting the drivers up for a fall, mind you they’re highly paid members of staff so I suppose they’re expected to not make mistakes.

Anyway, back on topic before I get poked sure the naughty stick.

The sign is a reminder to drivers to not touch the door controls - it's designed to mitigate against the scenario exactly as you describe. Once the 16x fleet is fitted with selective door opening, this temporary method of Guard release at short platforms only will be history and the signs redundant.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The sign is a reminder to drivers to not touch the door controls - it's designed to mitigate against the scenario exactly as you describe. Once the 16x fleet is fitted with selective door opening, this temporary method of Guard release at short platforms only will be history and the signs redundant.

I replied in the turbo thread.

RPI

Established Member
The past three weeks is not peak summer season and out of peak summer season all devon and cornwall services have significantly lower loadings. After working 20 years you must have worked August Saturdays, even when raining, and even August weekdays if the weather is good. A 5 car IEP would be woefully inadequate on many summer services west of Plymouth. If you know where people are heading you must be the only 125 or IEP guard to actually do ticket checks west of Plymouth as I've never had my ticket checked on 125's and IEP's west of Plymouth and I am a regular traveller.
1C04 is dead west of Bristol whether it's July or January, always has been, yes I've worked plenty of August Saturday's and since the late 90's they've been a lot quieter than August Mondays, Friday's and Sundays as the traditional "changeover day" of Saturday doesn't really exist anymore, a lot of holidays are now long weekends or any day to any day, you only have to look at the summer Saturday Newquay workings to see that, I fully agree that a 5 car IET won't be sufficient for all trains west of Plymouth but your comment was about 1C04. Once the half hourly starts then many of the current wedgex trains will be different, the 1725 from Plymouth (1403 from Pad) is an example, it is usually around 75% full of either commuters from Plymouth or people having visited Primark (hence it's nickname of the Primark express) as the previous departure to west of Liskeard is currently 1557.
The 0900, 1001 and (summer only) 1049 from Penzance are the only ones that load well with London passengers west of Plymouth

paulwestwood

When will these "Castle Class HSTs" start running on the Cardiff-Taunton services?
We need more sets to be finished first (still only one available) and then you will need Driver Training to be completed else they aren't going anywhere, as at present its mainly Penzance Drivers unless they've started on Exeter, Plymouth and Par over the past couple of weeks.

RPI

Established Member
When GW02 arrives GW01 is to be used for training runs (ECS) to get other depots trained up

Weekender

I am new on here so apologies if this has been discussed before.
I have read about the plan for using these trains for a Gloucester to Taunton service and was wondering if in the future there could be the capacity for a service from Gloucester to Exeter St.Davids. Whenever I have travelled to Devon the Cross Country trains are jammed packed between Bristol and Exeter.

Mollman

Established Member
I have read about the plan for using these trains for a Gloucester to Taunton service and was wondering if in the future there could be the capacity for a service from Gloucester to Exeter St.Davids. Whenever I have travelled to Devon the Cross Country trains are jammed packed between Bristol and Exeter.

Cross Country have put in various proposals for extending the Bristol terminators to Exeter every hour, unfortunately due to the size of the fleet in order to do this they would stop serving places like Paignton which hasn't gone down well with user groups etc.

spark001uk

Established Member
I did a rover recently which involved a lot of bristol-exeter, and I complained to xc on twitter about their woefully inadequate capacity, and to my surprise they actually held their hands up and admitted it!

Weekender

I was thinking more of a GWR service from Gloucester to Exeter using a Castle. Gloucester is not served by Cross Country trains to the south West and the current GWR service between Gloucester and Bristol is only hourly. When GWR have been asked for a more frequent service they always cite lack of rolling stock.

t_star2001uk

Ive just seen 3 refurbished mk 3s at oxford sandwiched between 2 HST power cars. All 4 had sliding doors fitted instead of slam doors...

Attachments

• 20181117_144620.jpg
    20181117_144620.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 289
  • 20181117_144627.jpg
    20181117_144627.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
  • 20181117_144634.jpg
    20181117_144634.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 250
  • 20181117_144646.jpg
    20181117_144646.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 243
  • 20181117_144652.jpg
    20181117_144652.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
GWR are using them as 2 + 4 sets in the South West similar to sets that Scotrail will be using

Status
Not open for further replies.