• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomos dafis

Has anyone know a rough date when we see “Castle” sets on Cardiff - Taunton run in passenger service?
Saw a classic HST short set 2+4 (no numbers, sorry) on test running into Cardiff central at about 16:00 today. Are such sets, or the modified versions, due to take over Cardiff-Taunton services later this year? (apologies if this has already been covered somewhere).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Saw a classic HST short set 2+4 (no numbers, sorry) on test running into Cardiff central at about 16:00 today. Are such sets, or the modified versions, due to take over Cardiff-Taunton services later this year? (apologies if this has already been covered somewhere).
Which platform(s?) will this service use at Taunton? Presumably they're too long for the N/E bay (P6)?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I saw a classic set at Bristol Temple Meads yesterday come into Platform 10 a bit after 1pm, if not nearly 13:30. It must have been there for between 60-90 minutes. At around 14:50 I was allowed to board the 15:30 to Didcot Parkway on platform 13 and I think I may have seen it leave in the Cardiff direction around 3pm.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I saw a classic set at Bristol Temple Meads yesterday come into Platform 10 a bit after 1pm, if not nearly 13:30. It must have been there for between 60-90 minutes. At around 14:50 I was allowed to board the 15:30 to Didcot Parkway on platform 13 and I think I may have seen it leave in the Cardiff direction around 3pm.

Classic set of course meaning purple 2+4 slam-door set .

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Yes. Covered in the thread. They will work the route or chunks of the route between Cardiff and Penzance which will incorporate the present Cardiff to Taunton services.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Which platform(s?) will this service use at Taunton? Presumably they're too long for the N/E bay (P6)?

They used Platforms 2 or 3 and returned immediately. This week they are only running to Weston because Taunton is cluttered up with trains due to the Whiteball Tunnel Blockage.

Envoy

Established Member
Let us hope that they give priority to using these mini HST’s on the longer trips between Cardiff and Devon/Cornwall rather than the shorter runs to Taunton. I also hope that they will use the fast lines between Cardiff & Newport rather than trundle along at 60mph on the reliefs.

emil

How did it perform...?
Excellent acceleration, seats comfortable and very much enjoyed the experience. Saw a classic 2+5 stabled at penzance (43020/43027).Returned using a 150 2car heavy crowded and rattling what a difference

anamyd

On Moderation
Excellent acceleration, seats comfortable and very much enjoyed the experience. Saw a classic 2+5 stabled at penzance (43020/43027).Returned using a 150 2car heavy crowded and rattling what a difference
Yeah I can imagine there would be quite the difference there!

I believe another GWR set arrived at Wabtec for convserion this week.
There is an STP path in for a delivery to St Philips Marsh tomorrow.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I believe another GWR set arrived at Wabtec for convserion this week.
There is an STP path in for a delivery to St Philips Marsh tomorrow.
GW03 is very close to leaving Doncaster according to a post on WNXX. Plus I saw photos of it on Flickr.
Yep, 43094 and 43005 are working GW03 from Doncaster to St Philips Marsh today as 5V74. I don't know the numbers of the individual vehicles however.

nat67

Established Member
43005 has now got the front number under the Side cab window rather than at the back near the sliding door.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I'm sure it's already been said somewhere up thread, but whats been changed in terms of seating and layout?

Weekender

I have read twice recently that these trains will be used on the Gloucester to Plymouth GWR service. I travel frequently from Gloucester and am not aware of any direct GWR service between the two cities. Is this planned for the future or have I missed something?
Does anyone know please?

ATW158Xpress

I have read twice recently that these trains will be used on the Gloucester to Plymouth GWR service. I travel frequently from Gloucester and am not aware of any direct GWR service between the two cities. Is this planned for the future or have I missed something?
Does anyone know please?
There only on one Castle set running down to Taunton in the morning and then late evening where a diagram from Cardiff will terminate at Taunton and run up to Gloucester around 8 in the evening as in the timetable now.

Weekender

There only on one Castle set running down to Taunton in the morning and then late evening where a diagram from Cardiff will terminate at Taunton and run up to Gloucester around 8 in the evening as in the timetable now.
Thanks, that’s what I thought so I don’t know where they get the GWR Gloucester to Plymouth service from!

Status
Not open for further replies.