• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

Established Member
There seems to be a shortage of Castles at the moment, in fact only 6 out of 11 today. Work is being covered by 158s, 150s and Turbos resulting also in short forms.. 150s have been working from Penzance to Cardiff even.
I imagine this is more to do with driver traction knowledge
Plymouth GWR drivers for example don't yet sign them, and whilst the HSS do, we are busy driving IETs. Its a case of getting training done id say more so than lack of 255 availability, though happy to be corrected?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
I imagine this is more to do with driver traction knowledge
Plymouth GWR drivers for example don't yet sign them, and whilst the HSS do, we are busy driving IETs. Its a case of getting training done id say more so than lack of 255 availability, though happy to be corrected?
Journeycheck is saying "This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" for most of the short-forms.

Spirit555

5E23 Laira T&RSMD to Doncaster Works ran again today, 43093, 48134, 49110, 48128, 48129, 48130 and 43029. More warranty repairs no doubt.

Mark

RPI

Established Member
Real poor availability of Castle sets at the moment, hence the multiple unit short formations in Devon today

GWRrrr

On Saturday I noticed a set leaving Teignmouth for Dawlish with 43188 on the front doing all the work and a dead 43016 on the back.

nat67

Established Member
On Saturday I noticed a set leaving Teignmouth for Dawlish with 43188 on the front doing all the work and a dead 43016 on the back.
On the same day 43088 was dead and 43155 was doing all the work. I had 43016 at Exeter and they had managed to restart it.

A life expired fleet trying to soldier on, it’s not that unsurprising when you compare to something like class 50 availability in the early 1990s.
Not sure that's a brilliant comparison, the 50's where 23 years old and had had large changes in 1990 compared to 66's that are 23 years old now and I am sure their availability is much better. Where the 50's really life expired in the 90's or middle aged.

RPI

Established Member
Not sure that's a brilliant comparison, the 50's where 23 years old and had had large changes in 1990 compared to 66's that are 23 years old now and I am sure their availability is much better. Where the 50's really life expired in the 90's or middle aged.
Meanwhile, the 150's, still mechanically as built 35 years ago soldier on lol

irish_rail

Established Member
Meanwhile, the 150's, still mechanically as built 35 years ago soldier on lol
You say that but they haven't exactly been reliable in Cornwall of late.....

I'm led to believe the power car problems are supply chain related at present, as with so many things so hopefully will be sorted out eventually!

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm led to believe the power car problems are supply chain related at present, as with so many things so hopefully will be sorted out eventually!

I believe most of them are, though there seems to be a backlog of overhauls building as well. And some of those Power Cars could do with some external TLC already - 188 has flaking paint and the metal GWR badge is falling apart, a number have scruffy cab fronts with a multitude of yellow patches (there’s a noticeable difference between the Derby and Doncaster painted power cars!).

nat67

Established Member
I believe most of them are, though there seems to be a backlog of overhauls building as well. And some of those Power Cars could do with some external TLC already - 188 has flaking paint and the metal GWR badge is falling apart, a number have scruffy cab fronts with a multitude of yellow patches (there’s a noticeable difference between the Derby and Doncaster painted power cars!).
Your forgetting that fact that the likes of 43188 and 43194 have been painted green for over 5 years now so if they been neglected them like they have it’s to be expected.

fgwrich

Established Member
Your forgetting that fact that the likes of 43188 and 43194 have been painted green for over 5 years now so if they been neglected them like they have it’s to be expected.

Not really, I’ve got photos of them starting to bubble and flake in 2018! It’s why I said there’s a noticeable difference between which paintshop was used. The corrosion coming through is certainly more recent though. For some reason the Derby ones have come out worse.

On Moderation
Not really, I’ve got photos of them starting to bubble and flake in 2018! It’s why I said there’s a noticeable difference between which paintshop was used. The corrosion coming through is certainly more recent though. For some reason the Derby ones have come out worse.
The Derby paints on 43005/041/187/188 were done earlier (2015 for 187/188 and 2016 for 005/041) to coincide with the paints on the two slam door sets so it's not surprising they are in poorer condition. I would also suggest they may have been done more quickly/cheaply as the long-term future of the fleet was unclear.

northernbelle

They may be getting on, but the bodywork wouldn’t be as much of an issue with the right amount of maintenance behind it…
The better solution is getting something else that doesn't require all this down time to tackle corrosion - something Aluminium bodied such as a 158 for example!

fgwrich

Established Member
The better solution is getting something else that doesn't require all this down time to tackle corrosion - something Aluminium bodied such as a 158 for example!

The surface layer of aluminium can corrode in certain circumstances…

Yes… Units containing Aluminium are not exactly proving themselves to be particularly successful right now either… and given the comments regarding the state of the turbos and the state of the 150s, as well as the state and poor availability of the HSTs, well, you can connect the dots with that one.

(Even ScotRails HST sets have been producing higher levels of reliability than Laira’s)

northernbelle

Yes… Units containing Aluminium are not exactly proving themselves to be particularly successful right now either… and given the comments regarding the state of the turbos and the state of the 150s, as well as the state and poor availability of the HSTs, well, you can connect the dots with that one.

(Even ScotRails HST sets have been producing higher levels of reliability than Laira’s)
Of course the problems with the 80xs are related to stress corrosion which I believe is a bit different to general bodywork corrosion which seems to be common across the HST fleet now.

The 158s and Turbos have aluminium bodyshells - I gather the condition of these, for their age, is very good.

As for the 'state' of the 150s - the GWR examples are in my view the best on the network.

Sprinter158

I dont know if anyone has said anything about this yet but a few a weeks ago I was in Dawlish and saw a 2 + 3 Castle set made up of all spare coaches and it was a passenger service, anyone know why this was running in that formation?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I dont know if anyone has said anything about this yet but a few a weeks ago I was in Dawlish and saw a 2 + 3 Castle set made up of all spare coaches and it was a passenger service, anyone know why this was running in that formation?
I've been on that set several times over the past few months. I'm told it's the maximum length that fits in the siding at Par so is usually confined to a specific diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.