• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
5V84 Doncaster - Laira dep OT.
43010 5 x MK3 43027

Last edited:

I understand that yesterday one of the Plymouth to Penzance morning services terminated at Par to work several services on the Newquay branch in lieu of a failed 150 unit. It then set swapped with a Penzance to Plymouth service at 17xx to get the hst back onto diagram and a 150 on the last workings of the evening on the branch. It would have created a rare all-stations stopping service with hst stock along there.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I understand that yesterday one of the Plymouth to Penzance morning services terminated at Par to work several services on the Newquay branch in lieu of a failed 150 unit. It then set swapped with a Penzance to Plymouth service at 17xx to get the hst back onto diagram and a 150 on the last workings of the evening on the branch. It would have created a rare all-stations stopping service with hst stock along there.
What is irritating, is that two solo 150s were working Exeter/Plymouth - Penzance services at the same time...

XCTurbostar

Established Member
It has been rumoured that a powercar reduction will take place from December. I would suspect that GWR are also targeting replacing Castles with TfW 158s when they become available.

RPI

Established Member
It has been rumoured that a powercar reduction will take place from December. I would suspect that GWR are also targeting replacing Castles with TfW 158s when they become available.
I'd be surprised if GWR went for the TfW 158's as they have different engines to the current fleet and would then mean a non standard fleet.

The EMR ones would be a more attractive option.

fgwrich

Established Member
I'd be surprised if GWR went for the TfW 158's as they have different engines to the current fleet and would then mean a non standard fleet.

Not really - The EMR units are a mixture of 350, 400 and Perkins engined units and I believe wont now be available with EMR retaining them for Liverpool - Norwich. The TFW units do however, share the same Perkins engines as the 165 / 166 fleet, so aren't entirely alien to Great Western after all. The main area that would need working on though, is the cab desks and removal of the Hitachi / Ansaldo ETRMS equipment.

The Perkins engines in the TfW 158s are the same engines that are also in the 165s and 166s.

Rich McLean

Established Member
The Perkins engines in the TfW 158s are the same engines that are also in the 165s and 166s.
It's a moot point anyway. TfW 158s are likely to be around for many years yet, until the Cambrian Coast ERTMS has been upgraded, so probally 2026-2028.

What is likely to happen, is that the 175s move to Northern, to then create an internal cascase to release 158s to GWR. GWR could even get 150s, but they are too useful on busy stoppers with the 1/2 2/3 doors for shorter dwell times.

Caaardiff

It's a moot point anyway. TfW 158s are likely to be around for many years yet, until the Cambrian Coast ERTMS has been upgraded, so probally 2026-2028.

What is likely to happen, is that the 175s move to Northern, to then create an internal cascase to release 158s to GWR. GWR could even get 150s, but they are too useful on busy stoppers with the 1/2 2/3 doors for shorter dwell times.
TfW 158s will be replaced on the Cambrian by ETCS fitted 197s over the next year or two.

RPI

Established Member
Sorry, missed this reply. Thats a fair point.

Not at present, no.
150's are probably the best traction we have (no I'm not being sarcastic either!), pairs of 150's or 3 car 16x are the best stock we've had on the Devon Metro, great for soaking up large quantities of passengers!

Back on track, it seems the HST's have settled down a bit lately reliability wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.