• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

The assessment centre people are invited to in November follows a campaign in November 2020. The person I know is already a first group employee but I don't know if it was an external or internal campaign.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nonuts

There would surely be little chance of external candidates getting an offer, particularly at smaller depots then, no?

To be fair I’ve read contrasting things on here regarding whether there is an “internal first” policy at GWR. For argument’s sake, if internal candidates do get offered positions before external candidates, somebody external could apply in 2018, be put in a pool, and then someone who applied in 2023 would potentially bypass them in the list?

I’m external myself so I don’t know for sure, but I was under the impression that they would take candidates from a 2019/20 talent pool before moving on to anybody from 2021/22 for example.
I think we had a conversation similar to this a while back and, you're right in saying there are contrasting opinions on this. I and a mate who started last year were external (internal by virtue of being first group but not GWR and my mate wasn't railway staff) and, I believe, jumped over some GWR guys in the pool. As I've said before, my manager at interview when asked the question told me that the higher external score would be taken out of the pool first ahead of an internal that scored lower. However, many have said that a lower scoring internal, would jump over a higher scoring external. Whether the managers can request specific people they've interviewed or it's down to the recruitment guys at Reading head office to decide is anyone's guess. In a previous post I said that all anyone can do is be confident in their performance that they've scored well enough to be breaching out of the surface of the pool and the call will come, otherwise you just drive yourself crazy thinking that you'll always get leaped over by internals and its a lost cause. I'm sure positivity is a difficult ask, but what else can you do!

crwl

I think we had a conversation similar to this a while back and, you're right in saying there are contrasting opinions on this. I and a mate who started last year were external (internal by virtue of being first group but not GWR and my mate wasn't railway staff) and, I believe, jumped over some GWR guys in the pool. As I've said before, my manager at interview when asked the question told me that the higher external score would be taken out of the pool first ahead of an internal that scored lower. However, many have said that a lower scoring internal, would jump over a higher scoring external. Whether the managers can request specific people they've interviewed or it's down to the recruitment guys at Reading head office to decide is anyone's guess. In a previous post I said that all anyone can do is be confident in their performance that they've scored well enough to be breaching out of the surface of the pool and the call will come, otherwise you just drive yourself crazy thinking that you'll always get leaped over by internals and its a lost cause. I'm sure positivity is a difficult ask, but what else can you do!
Yes possibly! Different people have different experiences it seems, so it suggests that it might be the way you stated. If it was an internal-first policy, then GWR guys would never get “bypassed”, although I do agree highest score first makes sense all round!

I mostly put it to the back of my mind, I don’t browse here daily, just check for the odd bit of news or movement. I was placed in to a pool in February 2020, so I could be waiting a long time yet. That wait would feel even longer if it’s playing on your mind every single day.

Stigy

Established Member
This can only be internal recruitment they have not advertised external if true..
The last set of recruitment for pools was indeed only internal.

Ultimately it’s the local manager(s) decision I believe (based mainly using experience for another FirstGroup TOC, but it’s largely 90% the same across the board I’m lead to believe), but the reason for such emphasis on scoring is because there’s so many candidates in pools. Recruitment will place people in pools, but there’s more than likely hundreds of people with almost identical scores, which is then for managers to work out.

It’s once people are in pools it gets messy, or so it seems. With pools for different years, and no one really able to say definitively whether 20/21 pools are ahead of 22/23 pools, or indeed if people in 20/21 pools are ahead of those in 22/23 pools by virtue of being a year or so in front, regardless of scoring.

Last edited:

Lung

Hi, I'm completely new to this forum and have been toying with the idea of switching careers to train to be a train driver. I've been signed up to First for email alerts for trainee spots for well over a year now and never heard a thing. Is this correct, or have i missed advertised places/my email alert not worked? Do these trainee pools open at a specific time of year or completely at random? I'm in Plymouth if that matters.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, I'm completely new to this forum and have been toying with the idea of switching careers to train to be a train driver. I've been signed up to First for email alerts for trainee spots for well over a year now and never heard a thing. Is this correct, or have i missed advertised places/my email alert not worked? Do these trainee pools open at a specific time of year or completely at random? I'm in Plymouth if that matters.
Recruitment has been relatively limited, but I’d not rely on email alerts and recommend actually checking the FirstGroup careers site every so often yourself for peace of mind.

EmmD

There would surely be little chance of external candidates getting an offer, particularly at smaller depots then, no?

To be fair I’ve read contrasting things on here regarding whether there is an “internal first” policy at GWR. For argument’s sake, if internal candidates do get offered positions before external candidates, somebody external could apply in 2018, be put in a pool, and then someone who applied in 2023 would potentially bypass them in the list?

I’m external myself so I don’t know for sure, but I was under the impression that they would take candidates from a 2019/20 talent pool before moving on to anybody from 2021/22 for example.
As far as I understand it coming from within the industry, internal applicants do get priority and I believe the score from interview is key. They aren’t likely to use the lowest scoring in one pool if they have people with a much higher score in another pool. As they say a place in the pool doesn’t guarantee a job and I have known the 5 year wait to come and go for some with no job offer. It’s down to how well you scored and a big piece of luck.

As far as I understand it coming from within the industry, internal applicants do get priority and I believe the score from interview is key. They aren’t likely to use the lowest scoring in one pool if they have people with a much higher score in another pool. As they say a place in the pool doesn’t guarantee a job and I have known the 5 year wait to come and go for some with no job offer. It’s down to how well you scored and a big piece of luck.
Indeed. I know a few years back now a lot of GWR candidates who had been in the talent pool for 5 years received an email saying that all positions had been filled and that there were no more opportunities, so if they wanted a position they'd have to re-apply all over again. Best piece of advice, and it's been said on here before, keep applying with other TOCs and get in as many talent pools as you can.

R.E the internal/external which gets chosen first debate, we've been told by both our DI and DM that the lowest scoring internal candidate will be offered a position before the highest scoring external, such is the strength and influence of the unions. Brilliant news once you're here, as the Unions really do have your back in most situations, but obviously it makes it very difficult for us externals to get a foot in the door.

crwl

R.E the internal/external which gets chosen first debate, we've been told by both our DI and DM that the lowest scoring internal candidate will be offered a position before the highest scoring external, such is the strength and influence of the unions. Brilliant news once you're here, as the Unions really do have your back in most situations, but obviously it makes it very difficult for us externals to get a foot in the door.
Yeah I think that's the issue! People have had contrasting experiences and told different things. Some have been told it's internal first no matter what score, others have said it's score dependent, others have said it's up to local driver managers. Depot dependent maybe? Who knows... A bit of a guessing game really, all us waiting can do is just wait and see.

jacey

Ive never worked in a industry, where companies don't look after there own to be honest. But as Nonuts said i think you just have to not worry to much it is what is it..... as they say. Think positive if the call comes great! Nothing you can do now to change anything anyway.

Lung

Recruitment has been relatively limited, but I’d not rely on email alerts and recommend actually checking the FirstGroup careers site every so often yourself for peace of mind.
Thanks, i'll do that.

e: ah, it seems i signed up in 2019 but missed an email in 2020 to say my subscription to emails was going to expire, so I've not been actively signed up for 18 months :/

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks, i'll do that.

e: ah, it seems i signed up in 2019 but missed an email in 2020 to say my subscription to emails was going to expire, so I've not been actively signed up for 18 months :/
Worth noting as well that even if you are alerted as expected, depending on how soon after the advert is released you’re alerted, you may find the vacancy has been removed, as it’s not uncommon for these posts to remain for only a day or two (less than a day sometimes), even though the closing date may be a good couple of weeks away.

J_Dawg

Hey all,

Hope I'm in the right place.

I have an interview with GWR for the qualified train driver talent pool in Exeter coming up, and just had a few questions. I've seen a post on traction & routes associated, but wondered if anyone would have the T&C's for the drivers so I could go through that, and typical diagrams. Also if anyone knows how the training for Qualified drivers is carried out, as it seems like a lot of travelling from Swindon & Bristol?

I just want to be able to have more definitive questions for the DM's, and not bother them with a long list!

Appreciate any response back.

Cheers :)

WishIHadAName

Hey all,

Hope I'm in the right place.

I have an interview with GWR for the qualified train driver talent pool in Exeter coming up, and just had a few questions. I've seen a post on traction & routes associated, but wondered if anyone would have the T&C's for the drivers so I could go through that, and typical diagrams. Also if anyone knows how the training for Qualified drivers is carried out, as it seems like a lot of travelling from Swindon & Bristol?

I just want to be able to have more definitive questions for the DM's, and not bother them with a long list!

Appreciate any response back.

Cheers :)
Sorry cant answer your questions but out of interest when did you apply? Just gauging the time frame for these jobs.

Class2ldn

I've been waiting nearly 18 months for a qualified interview for another depot.
Ridiculous now

irish_rail

Established Member
I've been waiting nearly 18 months for a qualified interview for another depot.
Ridiculous now
Little thing called Covid may have occupied those 18 months. GWR stretched on all levels, and even qualified drivers have come to depots and there haven't been the resources to let them traction or route learn due to pressures on managers and instructors.
Patience will be needed im afraid. Blame Covid.

Class2ldn

Yeah im pretty patient but you can't tell me they don't have the resources to interview someone in 18 months.
My current toc are probably having the same issues and are still interviewing numerous people, gwr are obviously still interviewing people for certain depots so maybe they are short in certain areas but even still 18 months for a interview is not on covid or not.

Jaytrains

Yeah im pretty patient but you can't tell me they don't have the resources to interview someone in 18 months.
My current toc are probably having the same issues and are still interviewing numerous people, gwr are obviously still interviewing people for certain depots so maybe they are short in certain areas but even still 18 months for a interview is not on covid or not.

I totally agree, especially when the interviews are done via zoom and not face to face

Butcher

Not entirely sure that's accurate re Plymouth as I know an on board host who has just been offered trainee driver for the mainline at PLymouth , but as you say many new starters are going to be depot manouverers before getting chance to go mainline after a period of time.
Why are trainees only doing Depot work Irish? Is there going to be less depot work for mainline drivers? I’ve heard management want depot drivers to bring trains into station limits etc?
Will this mean less shed work for mainline drivers?

irish_rail

Established Member
Why are trainees only doing Depot work Irish? Is there going to be less depot work for mainline drivers? I’ve heard management want depot drivers to bring trains into station limits etc?
Still large requirement for both mainline and depot. They are apparently offering higher scoring candidates the mainline and lower scoring ones the depot (if you can believe that). After 2 years the depot drivers are allowed to register to go mainline.
Whether it leads to less shed work for mainline drivers is open to conjecture, but I'd hazard a guess mainline drivers will continue to do lots of shed work for the next few years until things settle down. For one thing, the shed drivers are not learning 08s or voyagers , so there will inevitably be mainline drivers on depot for the foreseeable.
And finally yes, the depot drivers will be permitted to drive into North rd Station bringing sets on and off Laira.

Stigy

Established Member
I believe they’re being given them Mano contracts with a view to professsibg to mainline in the future. There was a group a while ago who were initially given Trainee Mainline jobs but being told that they were only to be Depot Drivers/Manos after induction.

Butcher

Still large requirement for both mainline and depot. They are apparently offering higher scoring candidates the mainline and lower scoring ones the depot (if you can believe that). After 2 years the depot drivers are allowed to register to go mainline.
Whether it leads to less shed work for mainline drivers is open to conjecture, but I'd hazard a guess mainline drivers will continue to do lots of shed work for the next few years until things settle down. For one thing, the shed drivers are not learning 08s or voyagers , so there will inevitably be mainline drivers on depot for the foreseeable.
And finally yes, the depot drivers will be permitted to drive into North rd Station bringing sets on and off Laira.
I heard through the mess room vine; management wanted Mano’s to bring sets into station which will give mainline drivers more hours to drive in service. In Reading we have an hour diagrammed to walk to the far end of the depot and I can understand from a business view that Mano’s would be cheaper.

Stigy

Established Member
I heard it was more Depot Driver roles than Manos? Because of the element of mainline driving and rules training? It would make the transition to Mainline more seamless I guess?

irish_rail

Established Member
I heard it was more Depot Driver roles than Manos? Because of the element of mainline driving and rules training? It would make the transition to Mainline more seamless I guess?
Unsure on the technical name , but they earn I think 70 percent of the full salary and are only allowed to drive Tavistock Yard to Plymouth North rd and Laira depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.