• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nonuts

I just completed the screening application for gwr which was sent via email this morning, what happens after that? Contract? Or still a wait for the medical to be done before anything else happens?
I had a conditional offer and then got the contract after passing the medical

TrainSailing

£55500 is the full salary and dont expect a pay rise. Not been one in 2 years. Nothing extra for RD working it's flat rate. HEX has diff t&c's to GWR. HEX is good starting point to become a train driver.
55k full salary with Sundays inside the working week is fast becoming a very poor pay packet in comparison to other TOCs operating on that same line. With inflation running at 8%+ HEX drivers should be expecting a pay rise.

Ebee

55k full salary with Sundays inside the working week is fast becoming a very poor pay packet in comparison to other TOCs operating on that same line. With inflation running at 8%+ HEX drivers should be expecting a pay rise.
They should. But they won't get one, Hence why many drivers are applying to Crossrail. On the plus side it may mean more courses as there will be no drivers left!

Carl98k

I thought Mainline drivers were paid more. I was looking at passenger work but freight came up first.

Stigy

Established Member
I thought Mainline drivers were paid more. I was looking at passenger work but freight came up first.
£55k is at the lower end of the scale now. GWR used to be around that before April 2020 but it’s since increased to around £60k with Sundays (at the moment) outside.

I think Southeastern are the only only TOC to offer salaries that low (apart from the likes of Island Line on the Isle of Wight).

Carl98k

£55k is at the lower end of the scale now. GWR used to be around that before April 2020 but it’s since increased to around £60k with Sundays (at the moment) outside.

I think Southeastern are the only only TOC to offer salaries that low (apart from the likes of Island Line on the Isle of Wight).
Still good money then.

Class2ldn

Hardly any companies have had a payrise in the last 3 years because of covid. I believe a couple have had some recently so they may start negotiations at the various tocs soon, hopefully lol

ItchyRsole

Eurostar (all staff) currently close to a 8% pay rise if the RMT reps are to be believed.

I think TFL staff just got an 8.4% rise agreed.

baz962

Established Member
Eurostar (all staff) currently close to a 8% pay rise if the RMT reps are to be believed.

I think TFL staff just got an 8.4% rise agreed.
And I believe did crossrail and south western , both around 8%.

Class2ldn

I believe SWR have just been given 8.2% so they are now on 70k for a fully productive driver.

Ebee

Main GWR is not bad pretty a erage around £62k. HEX is £55500 with no prospect of a pay rise. With Sundays, Xmas day and Boxing day included as normal working days.

irish_rail

Established Member
I believe SWR have just been given 8.2% so they are now on 70k for a fully productive driver.
So First owned SWR get 8 percent on services losing money hand over fist, whilst First owned GWR get nothing for 3rd year in a row on services which are fit to burst on the long distance routes. Work that one out!

dctraindriver

So First owned SWR get 8 percent on services losing money hand over fist, whilst First owned GWR get nothing for 3rd year in a row on services which are fit to burst on the long distance routes. Work that one out!
End of a 4 year deal negotiated prior to Covid. We were on 52k while you were on your 62k….

PlexiDriver

Quick one - For HEX drivers do you clock on at Old Oak Common Depot or just go straight to Paddington?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Is it North Pole now? So where do HEX drivers sign on?

HEX doesn't have a depot anymore, the GWR HEX liveried 387s are maintained at Reading TCD along with the rest of the GWR 387 fleet. The whole railway operating side of the Heathrow Express is carried out by GWR.

PlexiDriver

HEX doesn't have a depot anymore, the GWR HEX liveried 387s are maintained at Reading TCD along with the rest of the GWR 387 fleet. The whole railway operating side of the Heathrow Express is carried out by GWR.
Ah I see, so what happens if a HEX driver out of Paddington has to do a super early or late shift?

KT530

Ah I see, so what happens if a HEX driver out of Paddington has to do a super early or late shift?
GWR drivers, mostly lower link Reading-based ones, drive the HEX units empty to/from Reading depot - HEX drivers book on at PAD and only sign the HEX route.

Kaiwats

55k is quite low for a qualified driver but I’d even appreciate 40 or 45k knowing that i managed to get my train licence, we all need to start somewhere

Kauntrilla

Hi guys, can anyone help me with a particular question." Have u broken a rule and why u do that"? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.