• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Trainee Drivers Required 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Do you think that means we won't get a job or just for certain area's.

East Region will always get some externals - not enough Internals applying for jobs and the staff turnover is higher. West and Central turnover is lower and more Internals apply to be drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
East Region will always get some externals - not enough Internals applying for jobs and the staff turnover is higher. West and Central turnover is lower and more Internals apply to be drivers

Ok so reading and Oxford will everywhere else probably not, seems strange they have a high turnover plus not enough internals for such a highly sought after role although I'm not complaining thanks mate.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Ok so reading and Oxford will everywhere else probably not, seems strange they have a high turnover plus not enough internals for such a highly sought after role although I'm not complaining thanks mate.

PAD RDG and OXD are East, all else are Central and West. Smaller depots and the turnover is a lot of them train on LTV do their 2 years and relocate out West

baz962

Established Member
PAD RDG and OXD are East, all else are Central and West. Smaller depots and the turnover is a lot of them train on LTV do their 2 years and relocate out West

LTV ? Why not enough internals tho. I can understand the re locating my other half and I love Cornwall but east is good for me .

tiptoptaff

Established Member
London Thames Valley. Non-driving staff concentration is smaller in East - bigger depots with a large amount of DOO - so a lot less staff to apply for driving jobs compared to the number of jobs

baz962

Established Member
London Thames Valley. Non-driving staff concentration is smaller in East - bigger depots with a large amount of DOO - so a lot less staff to apply for driving jobs compared to the number of jobs

Ok mate thanks v much the help is appreciated.

387star

On Moderation
I sat in the talent pool for Bristol being fed information infrequently for 3 years before being told my application had expired, so be prepared for a long wait. Talent pool is no guarantee of a job,just go into it with your eyes wide open.
That said I hope those that do apply have a much better experience than I did.

Beat of luck to all who apply.

Did you apply elsewhere? I sat in the same pool as an internal planning to relocate West for about six months with loads of other hopefuls before jumping ship and getting the job elsewhere.

Johnny Depot

Hi all - I gather this will be a long wait but intrigued to see if anyone has heard anything back following the online stages.

baz962

Established Member
Hi all - I gather this will be a long wait but intrigued to see if anyone has heard anything back following the online stages.
I haven't yet but last year I applied to these and literally a couple of day's after the online test's I got the link to book the telephone interview.

Johnny Depot

I haven't yet but last year I applied to these and literally a couple of day's after the online test's I got the link to book the telephone interview.

Cheers Baz - I think it's been over a week or since I applied and I've unfortunately not heard anything yet. Doesn't sound like a great sign if they were quite speedy last year. How did you find the process?

baz962

Established Member
Cheers Baz - I think it's been over a week or since I applied and I've unfortunately not heard anything yet. Doesn't sound like a great sign if they were quite speedy last year. How did you find the process?

Well I guess they were happy with my online test result's but I failed the phone interview but it was quick I think from applying last year to phone interview was about a week, I am guessing this time maybe as it is a talent pool that they are in less of a hurry but hey I could be way off lol.

slidingdoors

I recieved a knock back a couple of days ago. So I'd say if you haven't heard anything it's good news rather than bad..

Johnny Depot

I recieved a knock back a couple of days ago. So I'd say if you haven't heard anything it's good news rather than bad..

Sorry to hear that mate and thanks for the positive comments. From what I gather a talent pool is a strange place to be even if all goes well. Would the SWR vacancies be of any use to where you are based? Good luck.

@Baz - thanks, getting a picture of the the timeline really helps.

slidingdoors

Sorry to hear that mate and thanks for the positive comments. From what I gather a talent pool is a strange place to be even if all goes well. Would the SWR vacancies be of any use to where you are based? Good luck.

Cool best of luck Johnny. Yes I'm still awaiting the dreaded news for the SWR one :lol:

slidingdoors

To be honest I do not think timing is an indicator in this industry mate.
No but it's proof people have started to hear back.. And would rather hear nothing if so than a 'no thanks'. Always better to still be in the game!

baz962

Established Member
No but it's proof people have started to hear back.. And would rather hear nothing if so than a 'no thanks'. Always better to still be in the game!

Absolutely you quite clearly have but for example first time I ever applied when thameslink was first capital connect it took a year for my no thank you e mail.

RedAurora

I applied for this on Saturday morning last week and got binne on Tuesday.
I'm only 30mins from Paddington so I'm wondering if it was the questionnaire that I failed on.

Johnny Depot

I applied for this on Saturday morning last week and got binne on Tuesday.
I'm only 30mins from Paddington so I'm wondering if it was the questionnaire that I failed on.

How did you find the tests whilst doing it? I felt like I got into a nice rhythm but towards the end I needed to double check a few of my choices. I felt like it went okay but you never know.

berny

I filled in the online application form. Because I have never applied before , and a bit green , I quickly took on a online test immediately . It said it should take 20 minutes . I rushed through it , then I subsequent learnt that it wasn't timed. I failed the test , they said I will have to wait for 6 months to elapse before I reapply. Question is does this mean I have just one more opportunity? , Or does that happen only when you reach the assessment center proper?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
That's for the assessment centre only. You in theory can take the TOCs online tests and DMIs as many times as you like

berny

Thanks for that. I do think these online assessments are a bit silly , what's to stop somebody taking the test on your behalf?

Johnny Depot

Thanks for that. I do think these online assessments are a bit silly , what's to stop somebody taking the test on your behalf?
I think it's just to be used as a filter. If you are going to ask someone to do the test on behalf of yourself, you will just waste your time at the assessment centre.

Sean1878

Hi Guys. Just wondered if anybody has heard anything more on these? I applied the day the advert came out and completed the online tests but haven't heard anything. I know a couple of people have heard bad news but wondered if anybody had been invited for telephone interviews yet?

Johnny Depot

Hi Guys. Just wondered if anybody has heard anything more on these? I applied the day the advert came out and completed the online tests but haven't heard anything. I know a couple of people have heard bad news but wondered if anybody had been invited for telephone interviews yet?

I applied Sean but not heard anything back yet. Would be great to progress via this route but after doing some research it seems like you can be sat in a pool for a long time if you do pass the requirements

baz962

Established Member
I applied last year but failed phone interview, this time I did online test's and now still waiting.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It'll be a long wait, they're processing a lot of the candidates in the Central and West regions currently, such as Bristol, Exeter and Westbury

Sean1878

I applied Sean but not heard anything back yet. Would be great to progress via this route but after doing some research it seems like you can be sat in a pool for a long time if you do pass the requirements

Cheers Johnny. I'm in a talent pool for another TOC at the min so am used to the long wait! Good luck with this anyway, hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Johnny Depot

Cheers Johnny. I'm in a talent pool for another TOC at the min so am used to the long wait! Good luck with this anyway, hopefully we'll hear something soon.
How long have you been in the other pool? Well done for being in that.

Sean1878

How long have you been in the other pool? Well done for being in that.

Not that long, only since the summer but been told probably another 12 month wait minimum. Might as well try for this too to give me as many options as possible!

Good luck with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.