• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

puffpuffgive

Did anyone hear anything after completing the error checking test? An acknowledgement email or an invite to whatever comes next?

Jungie1799

I applied for the Trainee Train Driver position with GWR at Fratton last year in March. Passed the online bits and was told managers would be reviewing applications.
Since then I have emailed them 3 times, and I have always been told there have been a lot of applications and they are still going through them. It’s been almost a year now.
I would be surprised to see any movement at all for Fratton.

Samzino

Like above says, we'll be probably waiting for X amount of time to hear back about the Results. Not expecting to hear anything about the Error checking test results till 6th of Feb a the very earliest.

genziu8181

I'm on training with GWR in Devon... Whole process is long(I had a covid in the meantime). Tests in April 2019, then first round of tests October 2019, Second round of test December 2019, covid came and I had DMI December 2020. I have just started October 2023. Patience is a virtue

Jungie1799

I'm on training with GWR in Devon... Whole process is long(I had a covid in the meantime). Tests in April 2019, then first round of tests October 2019, Second round of test December 2019, covid came and I had DMI December 2020. I have just started October 2023. Patience is a virtue
Congrats to you, but I think you’ve missed the point!

Everyone knows patience is a virtue, I’m just saying that taking into account my experience and of others, that I know, in the same position, for Fratton, most likely it will be a while to hear back from GWR after passing the online assessment part.

officewalla

Says it for a talent pool but I’ve put an application in for Paddington. Might as well throw my hat in.
Very long training pipeline for Paddington as there is a small number of instructors. I know of two trainee drivers who are yet to pass out 27 months after induction.

In the FAQ Salary says around 28k whilst in training. This would be a big cut for me especially with a young family but I know it would be worth it long term. Does anyone know how long you are expecting to be on the trainee Salary Before going to year 1 salary?
Can say that Oxford was around 12-14 months. Reading around 18 months and Paddington well over 2 years for recent (in the last 2 years) trainees at these depots. Don't know about any of the others.

I've put my application in, passed first test and then completed the second one straight after - I think I did OK fingers crossed!

I was just wondering whether anyone had any more insight in to the pay structure. Mainly how long the training pay will be for? Only reason I ask is that I will be taking a massive pay drop if I was successful and would like to know how long I need to manage on training pay before it goes up - on the FAQ sheet it states 'year 1' 48k - is that the first year after being fully qualified or after passing initial training? Appreciate any input on this.

In regards to the training course, I have looked around the forum and the courses seem to either be in Reading or Bristol - is that correct?

Good luck to everyone that's applied!
Year 1 starts once you get your licence ie passed out. Current salary levels are £28k whilst training, £48k once passed out, £54k after 1 year on your own and £60k after 2 years on your own.

Last edited:

Ses16

Very long training pipeline for Paddington as there is a small number of instructors. I know of two trainee drivers who are yet to pass out 27 months after induction.

Can say that Oxford was around 12-14 months. Reading around 18 months and Paddington well over 2 years for recent (in the last 2 years) trainees at these depots. Don't know about any of the others.

Year 1 starts once you get your licence ie passed out. Current salary levels are £28k whilst training, £48k once passed out, £54k after 1 year on your own and £60k after 2 years on your own.
For such a main station I can’t believe they don’t have that many trainers.

I bumped into a woman while shopping a few months back and she was in GWR uniform, hi vis back pack and had driver trainee on her top. She said to me that Paddington was always taking on trainees but I wish she mentioned how long it could take to become qualified lol

rmt4ever

I am simply shocked to see that Train Drivers based at Paddington earn so little! A central London location where property and cost of living is very high. The average salary in London is about £45k, to consider that such a safety focused job, with EXTREME shift work, is only £15k more than that, is unbelievable!

And that is if anyone can even afford to put food on the table during the two year or so period of pitiful salary before they get to the £60k. They say Train Drivers overpaid etc etc, I couldn’t afford to do this job financially !! So how can they be overpaid?

And to top it all off they have to work for horrendous employees who have given them cause to be striking for so long.

This is another reason I fully support all the staff at these companies who have been on strike and hope they win the payrise they deserve !!!

For such a main station I can’t believe they don’t have that many trainers.

I bumped into a woman while shopping a few months back and she was in GWR uniform, hi vis back pack and had driver trainee on her top. She said to me that Paddington was always taking on trainees but I wish she mentioned how long it could take to become qualified lol

It’s a bit more complicated than not having enough driving instructors and has been a problem at Paddington for quite some time, going back to HST days, I won’t go into every detail but the situation is without doubt improving, the backlog is finally clearing and anyone new starting has a much better chance at progressing a lot quicker than quite a few of the recent trainees that have been here over 2 years.

Ses16

It’s a bit more complicated than not having enough driving instructors and has been a problem at Paddington for quite some time, going back to HST days, I won’t go into every detail but the situation is without doubt improving, the backlog is finally clearing and anyone new starting has a much better chance at progressing a lot quicker than quite a few of the recent trainees that have been here over 2 years.
To be honest she did say being based at Paddington, she needed to learn 3 different types of traction but she loved being in the cab of the 800’s. Which she compared to an aircraft cockpit, not surprised with that train being the latest and greatest in their fleet.

But if you’re saying it’s getting better with the training timeframes, then hopefully we’ll see what happens with my application.

Last edited by a moderator:

To be honest she did say being based at Paddington, she needed to learn 3 different types of traction but she loved being in the cab of the 800’s. Which she compared to an aircraft cockpit, not surprised with that train being the latest and greatest in their fleet.

But if you’re saying it’s getting better with the training timeframes, then hopefully we’ll see what happens with my application.

The main problem at the moment is getting core route hours, a lot of DI's will sign Bristol and Cardiff, and because of that they normally end up doing a lot of hours to those destinations but not the core routes that a trainee will drive, while it counts towards your handling hours, anything past Didcot Parkway is irreverent to your core route hours, you are swapped about as you need a min of 2 different DI's over your hours.

londonlad007

Hi ive just completed the online test which is the 50 questions one. I think I done between 15-20 questions b4 getting timed out. I think its about how many you get correct than how far you get with the 50 questions. I guess I have to just wait now to see if I'm successful for next stage. Anyone else in the same boat as me ???
I applied for the trainee train drive post at Paddington station.

Choochoochug

Has anyone heard back after completing all the tests?
No, it seems we don’t and are unsure to when we hear back

Hi ive just completed the online test which is the 50 questions one. I think I done between 15-20 questions b4 getting timed out. I think its about how many you get correct than how far you get with the 50 questions. I guess I have to just wait now to see if I'm successful for next stage. Anyone else in the same boat as me ???
I applied for the trainee train drive post at Paddington station.
I only did about 20 too, seems no one completes all 50 questions.

Does anyone know about rough time scales of hearing back after the online application?

Samzino

I did about 22 but that was sadly after losing connection for 1minute 30 of the test. 98% Sure all of them are correct tho

TomH1994

Hello all

Just applied for the trainee train driver at Paddington. How long is it usually hear if/when you get invited to do the 2nd assessment?

I completed the 20 or so questions (situational best or worst answer) assessment

Couldn’t work it out totally based on others feedback / responses or is there no blanket answer?

Thanks

JH-OB

Hello all

Just applied for the trainee train driver at Paddington. How long is it usually hear if/when you get invited to do the 2nd assessment?

I completed the 20 or so questions (situational best or worst answer) assessment

Couldn’t work it out totally based on others feedback / responses or is there no blanket answer?

Thanks
Invite to the second assessment is automated, so usually pretty quick.

TomH1994

Got the unsuccessful email this morning (after 1st assessment). Does anyone know if these first assessments are similar at other TOC’s?

Samzino

Got the unsuccessful email this morning (after 1st assessment). Does anyone know if these first assessments are similar at other TOC’s?
SJTs are standard across many TOCs as first stage sifting. I believe GTR, SE, SWR, GA to name a few all use similar style SJTs.

Railee

Good luck to everyone who applied.

After passing the online tests, I have everything crossed that this will be third time lucky for me.

Choochoochug

Hello,

Does anyone know how long roughly we should expect to wait to hear back now the vacancy has closed and all tests have been passed and application submitted successfully?

Jc321

Hello,

Does anyone know how long roughly we should expect to wait to hear back now the vacancy has closed and all tests have been passed and application submitted successfully?
Have you heard back about your error checking test? I know I’ve passed the sjt but have not heard about the error test yet. As far as I know only the top scorers on the error checking progress since there’s limited numbers, on the faq’s it said the error results would be processed after the vacancy is closed.