• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

H&S at Marlow station

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Marlow station (a FGW one) does not have any heated shelters and only one train every hour. Last week an elderly lady had hypothermia waiting for a train for 40 mins. An ambulance was called. I have written a complaint to FGW and NR but since this is s small station I doubt they will actually do anything :-x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
Convert the current exposed shelter to an indoor heated one.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Surely this issue has come up before here and at similar stations?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know, to be honest. What I do know is that Marlow is not the only place that has limited waiting facilities, so it seems to em that if there is or should be some sort of requirement to provide heated shelters it would have to apply elsewhere. I doubt FGW would unilaterally decide to provide heating facilities at oen particular station, especialyl if there is no requirement to do so.

MarkyT

Established Member
Just at Marlow, or at every similar station on the network?

And at every bus stop where there is hourly or less frequent service? Presumably the more infrequent the service the more elaborate the waiting facilties would have to be, culminating in full residential boarding for an infinite number of people where there is no service whatsoever :)

455driver

Veteran Member
What sort of facilities will be provided at the station that only have a once a week parliamentary service?
Going by your logic it needs to be a 5 star hotel!

Of course the fact someone turns up 40 minutes before the train is due is nothing to do with it is it! Maybe the station should be locked until 5 minutes before the train.

Wath Yard

How can you possibly suggest the passenger may be partially at fault for sitting in the cold for 40 minutes? (in inadequate clothing?) It's somebody else's fault, it always is...

jopsuk

Veteran Member
are you seriously suggesting that a once-an-hour station with an average of about 750 users a day, that has no staffed facilities, should have heated waiting room?

Gathursty

Established Member
I've been to some remote stations which have little more than bus stop shelters to keep out of the elements such as Braystones, Ardwick and Salwick. These are numerous but I don't expect them to be as well maintained as Manchester Piccadilly, although saying that you can imagine my glee at Ribblehead having a shelter with a door when the rain started beating down a couple of months ago!

Ediswan

Established Member
Even if a waiting room exists, will you be allowed to use it ?

Hertford North platform 2+3 has a perfectly satisfactory heated wating room. Nothing wrong with it. The whole station was 'serviced' not long ago.

For the last few months, the windows of the 2+3 waiting room have been (mostly) covered in stick-on mirror material with a sign on the door along the lines of "Closed during redevopment, alternative wating area on platform 1". The waiting area on platform 1 is a open shed, plus a lot of stairs to get back to 2+3. No real help in the original scenario.

So what is this 'redevelopment' ? Looking through the gaps in the windows, I see portable tables, portable chairs, a fridge, maybe a kettle ? No sign that the waiting room itslef is being worked on. It looks rather like a staff break area. The only redevelopment locally is the signalling work between Hertford North and Stevenage.

It sppears to me that a good passenger waiting room has been commandeered for use a staff rest area. If so, the the sign on the door can only be deliberate obfuscation.

Don't get me wrong, railway staff deserve a rest area the same as everybody else. It is the way it has been provided , by taking away a passeneger waiting room, that I object to.

pitdiver

Now we have the "Beast from the East" approaching how about a heated waiting room at Berney Arms station. I would imagine it could be pretty grim there on a winter's day.

GodAtum

On Moderation
are you seriously suggesting that a once-an-hour station with an average of about 750 users a day, that has no staffed facilities, should have heated waiting room?

I would think that that number of passengers would warrant a waiting room.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The vast majority of those (and will be higher daily numbers on weekdays) will be commuters who know well when the train is due and turn up only a few minutes before the service they want.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So did a lot of the stations that also closed in the 1960s.

Last time I was at Rye House station, the nice new glass and steel waiting room there had been removed of glass presumably by the local chav community. I know Marlow is more upmarket than that but I wonder just how long such a shelter would last. Couldn't they put in one of those heating lights like you get near ticket barriers as a cheaper solution and put it in the current shelter, obviously closing it up at night?

route:oxford

Established Member
Marlow station (a FGW one) does not have any heated shelters and only one train every hour. Last week an elderly lady had hypothermia waiting for a train for 40 mins. An ambulance was called. I have written a complaint to FGW and NR but since this is s small station I doubt they will actually do anything :-x

To be honest, it's not a Health & Safety issue. It's a common sense issue.

You must take personal responsibility and ensure that when you go out you wear suitable clothing.

D2022

Thamesdown transport in Swindon trialled these open front heated bus shelters, they were amazing, basically the seat got warm and that was about it, BUT it was great waiting foe our school bus in winter as we could warm our hands on the heated seat :D

Nick O. Teen

So did a lot of the stations that also closed in the 1960s.

Last time I was at Rye House station, the nice new glass and steel waiting room there had been removed of glass presumably by the local chav community. I know Marlow is more upmarket than that but I wonder just how long such a shelter would last.......

About five minutes...

ChilternHenry

I would think that that number of passengers would warrant a waiting room.

working in Marlow myself and using the train, and have to say, the current set up is adequate. However, saying that, there is already a solid brick shelter in place, it wouldn't cost to much to put some windows in and a door, or even brick up the window and put a door in.

MattRobinson

Were you anything to do with it, or are you - with due respect - just butting your nose into other people's business?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

johnnychips

Established Member
Hope the old lady's OK. I think the problem in Britain is that winter is very unpredictable, so a very cold spell catches people out. In continental Europe, in countries like Poland or Slovakia, it is consistently cold so people dress accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.