• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

Established Member
The problem with the Metro is that it is completely different to National Rail, so the 'guidelines' do not apply. I would always advise people to get permission (quick phonecall or e-mail normally does the trick), to be on the safe side. Taking a few quick pictures doesn't seem to cause a problem, and not all stations are manned. However there has been some well-known problems, one involving someone who was told not to film by a driver and ended up causing an argument.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
It's strange that the Metro are so particular about who takes photographs, when they are only a light rail system, and down at Newcastle Station, which is a major terminus, they welcome photographers and train spotters.

Established Member
All due to being a different company. Not much you can do apart from go by Nexus's rules.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I went up to Derby on the train today. Took a few photos on Loughborough and Derby station and didn't have any problem at all, despite being seen by numerous staff. One even apologised for getting in my way. On the other hand when I went into Derby itself to photograph some of the buses I did have two people trying to cause trouble. First time I was standing on public land outside the bus station photographing buses going in and out, in full view of an Arriva inspector who didn't seem at all bothered, when a bus pulled up alongside and the female driver told me I wasn't allowed to take photographs of the drivers. I told her politely that I wasn't photographing the drivers but the buses. She kept going on about the fact that if you could see the driver on the photograph is breached their right to privacy. I told her that I was sorry but she was in a public place and therefore had no right to privacy. Apparently she had asked the council about this and they agreed with her. I told her that I was sorry but the council were wrong and that no such rule existed. She drove off before I could play the CCTV card.
The second time I was again on public land photographing buses parked up in the Arriva depot when a person came walking over, not even in uniform and with no ID, and told me that I could not photograph there. I told him I could as I was on public property. He then threatened to call the police, at which point I told him to do so if he wanted to waste police time as I was not commiting any offense. Again he walked off, although he was on his phone as I followed him down the road so presumably I'll be getting my door bashed down in the near future.
Shows it's not just railways, and that on many occasions rail staff are perfectly reasonable. It's also funny how these people are so often all mouth and will give in and walk off when confronted with reasonable and polite but firm argument informing them they are talking a load of rubbish.

anthony263

Established Member
Glad to see you stand up to these drivers/staff. Some companies have told staff off for giving photographers grief stagecoach being one of the main ones.

I ahve seen some drivers do stupid thinsg to avoid getting their picture taken ie pulling the sun visor right down when they are going to pull out onto a roundabout (As seen in london last year and the photo was kindly sent to TFL and Arriva)

I have had my photo taken a few times, heck i even give the photographers my email address so i can have a copy sent to me, photographers will always get a wave so keep an eye out for me if anyone is around cardiff/newport.

I have had problems with the police thinking its ilegal to photograph buses, i know some of bus magazines have had complaints, personally i think they need to campaign like the railway magazines such as rail have done. Veolia even used to a photography competition, got my photos published a few times.

Only time i will tell someone off is when they are acting dangerously or not ie not wearing a hi vis

HST Power

Established Member
I'm off to Stevenage tommorow to snap a few pictures of the HST's, armed with an approval letter from First Capital Connect and the station staff at Letchworth! Try and stop me now! :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
They never said anything about not sending out their top RPI to get to you before you even alight. Don't think that having a 100% valid ticket will save you. :)

Mr Spock

I went up to Derby on the train today. Took a few photos on Loughborough and Derby station and didn't have any problem at all, despite being seen by numerous staff. One even apologised for getting in my way. On the other hand when I went into Derby itself to photograph some of the buses I did have two people trying to cause trouble. First time I was standing on public land outside the bus station photographing buses going in and out, in full view of an Arriva inspector who didn't seem at all bothered, when a bus pulled up alongside and the female driver told me I wasn't allowed to take photographs of the drivers. I told her politely that I wasn't photographing the drivers but the buses. She kept going on about the fact that if you could see the driver on the photograph is breached their right to privacy. I told her that I was sorry but she was in a public place and therefore had no right to privacy. Apparently she had asked the council about this and they agreed with her. I told her that I was sorry but the council were wrong and that no such rule existed. She drove off before I could play the CCTV card.
The second time I was again on public land photographing buses parked up in the Arriva depot when a person came walking over, not even in uniform and with no ID, and told me that I could not photograph there. I told him I could as I was on public property. He then threatened to call the police, at which point I told him to do so if he wanted to waste police time as I was not commiting any offense. Again he walked off, although he was on his phone as I followed him down the road so presumably I'll be getting my door bashed down in the near future.
Shows it's not just railways, and that on many occasions rail staff are perfectly reasonable. It's also funny how these people are so often all mouth and will give in and walk off when confronted with reasonable and polite but firm argument informing them they are talking a load of rubbish.

Not taken many bus pictures in Derby so not had problems.

In other places such as Brighton, London, Reading and Oxford I have taken pictures when there have been police about as well and never been stopped or questioned.

Did have a lady driver in Oxford put a newspaper in front of her face but picture did not turn out anyway.

HST Power

Established Member
I remember reading an article in the London Chronicle about National Express banning train spotters at Stevenage and Peterborough. NE refuted the claims when questioned, but was anything actually introduced that still today remains in affect and prevents spotters from attending those two stations?

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
I remember reading an article in the London Chronicle about National Express banning train spotters at Stevenage and Peterborough. NE refuted the claims when questioned, but was anything actually introduced that still today remains in affect and prevents spotters from attending those two stations?

Wl having spotted at Peterborough twice, I can say that those allegations are rubbish

HST Power

Established Member
Wl having spotted at Peterborough twice, I can say that those allegations are rubbish

Thanks for the info. I'd rather be safe than sorry as I might be off to Peterborough later this month. Went spotting at Arlesey today and the station was empty with the ticket office closed, so I had no trouble taking pictures. Though I'm slightly annoyed as the East Coast Flying Scotsman came through and I totally messed up my shot! :(

mawallace

To clarify - there was an article published which Nat Express were alleged to say they were banning photography at Peterborough - several years ago - nothing ever came of it.
I often go to Peterborough - as long as you are sensible there are no problems - often others around as well

alexdodds

Ian and Simon Poole went to Aberdeen and they didn't have a good time there. You might of seen one of their videos which explains it all.

Aberdeen station is now the London Liverpool Street of the north.

LE Greys

Established Member
Ian and Simon Poole went to Aberdeen and they didn't have a good time there. You might of seen one of their videos which explains it all.

Aberdeen is a shadow of what it was seven years ago, so there is not much interest at all unless you count the stabling sidings and washing plant, and you get a much better view of that from the top of a nearby multi-storey car park (although it isn't an entirely safe place for an expensive camera). The yard is gone and access to Platform 2 (from which most of my best pictures were taken) is impossible.

mawallace

I have not! Where do I find it on the web!

alexdodds

I thought Blackpool North had won that award... ;)

Well Blackpool North is not super strict like Liverpool Street and Aberdeen. It's sort of low to medium strict but most of the staff there are fine. I have been there 3 times now and had no problems getting on to platforms.

As for Aberdeen why so strict and why fence off each platform.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Aberdeen is a shadow of what it was seven years ago, so there is not much interest at all unless you count the stabling sidings and washing plant, and you get a much better view of that from the top of a nearby multi-storey car park (although it isn't an entirely safe place for an expensive camera). The yard is gone and access to Platform 2 (from which most of my best pictures were taken) is impossible.

You've got to be careful too in that carparks etc overlooking railways are private property so have just as much right to turf you out as the railways do. Really the same issues apply, if you have no parked a car there you are not a customer and have no reason to be there (like being on a station without a ticket), from a security point of view they could very easily be wary of someone lurking around, and also depending on how high the carpark is it's possible to confuse a photographer with a potential jumper. If anything it's probably worse because common sence says someone photograping trains should be a rail enthusiast, wheras someone photographing from a carpark could be anyone. I'm not saying don't do it (I've done it myself before, the carpark overlooking the north of Leeds station and one overlooking Welwyn Garden City station), just be wary, and keep in mind that if challenged then you probably are if not in the wrong at least on sticky ground (especially in the stairwells of many multistory carparks which double up as toilets, if you'll excuse the pun). Basically you need to know you have no right to be there taking photographs. If you do it and get away with it then good, if not then that's just one of those things (of cource if they claim you are commiting an offense then it's another matter, although I'd also recommend keeping away from parked cars as much as possible to avoid any suspition).

HST Power

Established Member
Just got back from some spotting at Letchworth. It wasn't as lax as it was at Newcastle Central, they wanted to know where I would be, how long I would be there for (one woman even asked me what I was going to be photographing). I had to report to the Station Master, who told me to keep away from the platform edge, but I got some good photographs and the station wasn't to busy. Lots of Class 313, a few 321's and two 365's made up my results.

alexdodds

Just got back from some spotting at Letchworth. It wasn't as lax as it was at Newcastle Central, they wanted to know where I would be, how long I would be there for (one woman even asked me what I was going to be photographing). I had to report to the Station Master, who told me to keep away from the platform edge, but I got some good photographs and the station wasn't to busy. Lots of Class 313, a few 321's and two 365's made up my results.

You must of asked at the ticket gates first. Usually I don't get asked all that at that station. And yeah it is sometimes quiet but of course not as quiet as the Metro which is always busy

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not a spotter at all, but generally will try to snap pictures of anything interesting when I am out an about, so that tends to include on the railways (because of the amount of time I spend travelling around). Never had a problem, although I suppose I am never hanging around long enough, or don't have a big camera on me to attract attention.

As a rule, passengers are only on a station for as long as it takes to catch their train, Enthusiasts are rather different, they may be there for hours. By signing in they acquire a different status to 'normal' passengers which includes an enhanced 'duty of care' by the TOC/NR - similar in vein to a contractor or anyone else who is an official visitor. This would include being covered by insurance.

Is that really true?
Certainly on days like Sundays where some services are quite limited, normal passengers could be hanging around for hours too, sometimes more time than some enthusiasts would spend there (certainly I have spent nearly 2 hours at Bristol Temple Meads waiting for a train before).

Also, I don't think there is an answer in this thread. The guidelines say you should let someone know you are there (which may involve signing in or whatever). What if you are travelling somewhere, are just at the station to change trains, and use the couple of minutes spare you have to take a few photos? Seems a bit crazy if you have to sign in and stuff then.

Last edited:

alexdodds

Went back to Liverpool today and now there is no need to sign in at Lime Street. Went to station reception on P1 and the gentleman said as long as you let us know first then that's fine.

2 other enthusiasts were there and at one point they went onto the very narrow out of bounds part of platform 6 and after a few minutes they were approached by one of the Network Rail staff and told to move back but the gentleman was polite to them. I was standing well within bounds on P7/8 talking to those enthusiasts and I did advise them to go back down before they got told to move.

Later I spoke to the same security bloke and he told me why its out of bounds because 1: Its very narrow 2: it gets very slippery and 3: it goes out of view of the CCTV.

HST Power

Established Member
You must of asked at the ticket gates first. Usually I don't get asked all that at that station. And yeah it is sometimes quiet but of course not as quiet as the Metro which is always busy

They asked me what I was going to photograph, and part of me really want to say 'Security cameras, emergency exits....' :lol:

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Right then, I was going to go to Preston Park and Hove, had all the prep done and was going to do them and then found out that there were engineering works down that way on the day I was going........lovely(!)

So, a change of plan, I am gonna have a try at Gatwick Airport and East Croydon. Now I know what to do with East Croydon so I am waiting and ready for that but Gatwick Airport is the one I wanna know about.

So anyone who has done photography and spotting there in the past and if so, what do I need to do in order to spot there?

Temple Meads

Established Member
Right then, I was going to go to Preston Park and Hove, had all the prep done and was going to do them and then found out that there were engineering works down that way on the day I was going........lovely(!)

So, a change of plan, I am gonna have a try at Gatwick Airport and East Croydon. Now I know what to do with East Croydon so I am waiting and ready for that but Gatwick Airport is the one I wanna know about.

So anyone who has done photography and spotting there in the past and if so, what do I need to do in order to spot there?

I haven't been there, but I should think telling someone on station reception what you're doing should be enough.

alexdodds

I went to Gatwick Airport last year. There are 2 offices there the duty managers and the station reception. I went into the station reception, explained to the lady that I wanted to take pictures and she had to ring up the duty manager to get permission. She said if I wanted more than 30 minutes I would have had a safety briefing.

TheJRB

Established Member
My grandfather and I went to Ealing Broadway after going to the Acton Depot Open Day on Sunday and we went to the shelter on platform 2/3 and had something to eat. While we were sat there looking at trains, a member of staff walked down platform 2 looking around and peered in at us. Because of the fence, he had to walk all the way back and across to get to 3 and he looked down the whole platform and all around the shelter we were in. Then he said "You trainspotting?" to which we explained we'd come up from Acton Depot. He went on to ask us how long we were going to be there and that people should "usually" tell staff they're there. After that though he walked off.

It seems like he was bored on a quiet Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do. :roll:

It's funny because last time we were there (a couple of months ago) another member of staff informed us that there wasn't going to be much going through that day. Much more friendly.