• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
I went to Gatwick Airport last year. There are 2 offices there the duty managers and the station reception. I went into the station reception, explained to the lady that I wanted to take pictures and she had to ring up the duty manager to get permission. She said if I wanted more than 30 minutes I would have had a safety briefing.

Me thinks a safety briefing is gonna be in order then, i usualy have about three hours

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Then a woman tried to tell me that I was a security risk and I was not allowed to take photos but if I am a security risk, why are you allowing trains to come near the station?

Woman with lots of facial piercings, if so told her to get back in her box earlier this year!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here in my opinion how not to go photographing trains:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/5529323102/

That bloke should be standing that close to the line, in my opinion idiots like him are not doing any favours for the rest of us.

"Idiots like him".... Try the idiot woman on the same crossing earlier, with a todler who was there for well over half an hour. I think we all know which is worse...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fgw143/sets/72157627777683657/

alexdodds

I almost got rejected from taking pictures at Sunderland today.

Went to the supervisors office, asked permission as usual and the supervisor said "realy, you should get written permission from northern rail even for non commercial photography" he said it in a jobsworth style and give me the address of northern rail. I told him the guidelines and he said "wherever you get them from they are wrong". He also told me it wasn't a popular station but in the end he did allow me to video and when i finished he was more friendly and said next time just knock on the door like i usually do. I think it was because he hadn't seen me before like some of the other staff that we was like this.

trainspotter

Had a bad experance at Wolverhampton a few week before the WSMR 67's finished, Went one friday night just to get some night shots of them! Any was question by the Virgin staff as to what i was doing on "THEIR" station! A good reply was given, then the attitude started! with the Virgin "Toy Town Coppers" watching!!! Was told to pack up and get off the station!!!!

Utter W***ers!!!!!!!!

On the other side of the coin!!!

Went to Waterloo satation last year, signed in got a pass and no problem at all!!!!!!

Chris

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Had a bad experance at Wolverhampton a few week before the WSMR 67's finished, Went one friday night just to get some night shots of them! Any was question by the Virgin staff as to what i was doing on "THEIR" station! A good reply was given, then the attitude started! with the Virgin "Toy Town Coppers" watching!!! Was told to pack up and get off the station!!!!

Utter W***ers!!!!!!!!

On the other side of the coin!!!

Went to Waterloo satation last year, signed in got a pass and no problem at all!!!!!!

Chris

Slight difference there though, if you had signed in and got your "pass" at Wolverhampton like you did at Waterloo, them maybe the staff there would have been more aware of what you were doing and would not have challenged you, but instead you just went there and waited for confrontation!

alexdodds

Utter W***ers!!!!!!!!

Chris

That of course wouldn't happen now with them filming and photography posters up.

David Goddard

Established Member
Never had any major problems. Was approached at Birmingham New Street a couple of years ago and questioned after photographing a train I had just got off of. (how i was supposed to detrain, go to reception, wait to be served, sign in and then return to the platform before it left again I will never know). Explained that I was only going to be there for about fifteen minutes and he was fine.

Asked at Paddington once and got the "why do you want to take photographs" etc, then saying I would have to sign in and go through safety briefing. Could not see the point of this when I would be remaining in places that were safer to stand at than where those who were travelling would be.

I have taken a great deal of shots at York, Coventry and Derby in the recent past and never had an issue, although an LM driver at coventry did once apruptly pull down his sun visor so he wasn't in my shot.

alexdodds

Up here in the north east its been getting a bit heated on the metro. One of my friends is still been constantly harassed and bullied by metro management for taking pictures. He has also said he is metros most wanted. Completely unacceptable I think. The other enthusiasts don't have any problems because they don't target them even when there filming 4041 and 4072.

scotsman

Established Member
I think the person in question is the self-styled "metro's most wanted" and wears this like a badge. I think it's safe to say he ain't.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Why should he. Its called standing up to the bullies.

Why should he? It's Metro's property. If they say no, then you don't go on it. End of.

How about I come and stand in your living room? If you say no, remember I'm just standing up to the bullies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
No chance of that I d just lock you out.

Right, so it's unfair if I stand in your living room without permission but fair to stand on Metro's property doing something they require permission for? Do you not see the error in your logic?

LE Greys

Established Member
There were two art students taking pictures of each other at Aberdeen today with absolutely no problem at all. They asked for my advice on getting a film camera because they wanted to do some darkroom work.

Right, so it's unfair if I stand in your living room without permission but fair to stand on Metro's property doing something they require permission for? Do you not see the error in your logic?

Alex's living room doesn't have thousands of people passing through it every day as a matter of course.

alexdodds

There were two art students taking pictures of each other at Aberdeen today with absolutely no problem at all. They asked for my advice on getting a film camera because they wanted to do some darkroom work.

Alex's living room doesn't have thousands of people passing through it every day as a matter of course.

Aberdeen is known to be more stricter than London I think.

Nym

Established Member

Source???

It might have...

My living room used to have lots of people passing through it, mainly because of open door parties on mondays, entry requirements: bring booze, but it could be the same or similar for alex where many people could pass through?

alexdodds

Source???

It might have...

My living room used to have lots of people passing through it, mainly because of open door parties on mondays, entry requirements: bring booze, but it could be the same or similar for alex where many people could pass through?

Only friends thats those who dont get on my nerves and family do. Not a party person me.

Anyway back to trains I ve now gone one year without a problem. Almost 3 years since I had a major problem at a station.

LE Greys

Established Member
Source???

It might have...

Whoops, unreferanced comment. That's a CAS mark lost. :oops: :lol:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

The Metro specifically ask for permission for filming or photography. They do not subscribe to the Enthusiasts Charter, and I even think someone from Metro stated on this forum that permission was required.

alexdodds

The Metro specifically ask for permission for filming or photography. They do not subscribe to the Enthusiasts Charter, and I even think someone from Metro stated on this forum that permission was required.

Aye I know. But I think its in the guts of some that if there told off they just ignore them and carry on

LE Greys

Established Member
Aberdeen is known to be more stricter than London I think.

It's certainly changed a lot in seven years. This dates from 2005, when Platform 2 was still accessible. Union Square shopping centre car park is currently on top of where the yard was.

Still, the staff either hadn't noticed or didn't care. The only time they've been strict with me was when the Grove was in one day.

Attachments

• 5-2-28 -2 36.jpg
    5-2-28 -2 36.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 31

alexdodds

So who do you think is causing the problem then? Metro, or the people who ignore them?

Well for starters Metro cos of the way management and certain other staff treat this young lad. Not exactly good customer service indeed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's certainly changed a lot in seven years. This dates from 2005, when Platform 2 was still accessible. Union Square shopping centre car park is currently on top of where the yard was.

Still, the staff either hadn't noticed or didn't care. The only time they've been strict with me was when the Grove was in one day.

Aye platforms 2 to 6 have these little fences but you can walk up and down P7.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I've used a (smallish, handheld) camcorder at ABD just after coming off a train on quite a few occasions. Maybe need to watch that then.

There's always a potential problem if you are a passenger AND an enthusiast - you can't report to the station manager's office first if you are filming immediately on arrival. I've only been jumped on at Newcastle, and since then I try to email in advance but don't always get a reply.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Well for starters Metro cos of the way management and certain other staff treat this young lad. Not exactly good customer service indeed.

So Metro is at fault for people ignoring them? Given Scotsman's post as well, it rather seems as if the person in question wants to be seen as "Metro's Most Wanted".

alexdodds

So Metro is at fault for people ignoring them? Given Scotsman's post as well, it rather seems as if the person in question wants to be seen as "Metro's Most Wanted".

All they need to do is just give him one more chance and thats it. He's only young you know compared to a lot of us and you don't seem to be supportive at all. Surely when you were in school you were told about bullying and how horrible it is.