• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Half term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To those users who are still at school.

Is it really half term already? I still feel as I've only gone back after Christmas.

You lucky lot!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nath9425

Yep - A week off already :shock:

That was possibly the quickest and shortest term I have ever had though - Due to a late start and days closed to snow etc.

Oh well - I'm not complaining..

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't mind a week off to be honest, although the long summers probably clinch it for me at Uni ;)

Phoenix

Established Member
Sadly us university lot don't get any of the one week holidays we only get Christmas,Easter and summer.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sadly us university lot don't get any of the one week holidays we only get Christmas,Easter and summer.
Don't know about you, but I'm loving the sound of Uni summer holidays. Break up mid-June and start again in October!

Some people at certain Universities and on certain courses also get 1-week "reading weeks" which is basically half term.

BJMorley

Wooo!! Half Term is already here for me (a day in actually), let it roll on Sunday!!

mbonwick

Established Member
Yep, half term it is. Several friends are celebrating at the Valentines Ball, a.k.a pi$$ up untill 2am. Personally, I prefer sleep!

It has been a short term, but a bloomin hard one, Mock exams, 6th form interviews, parents evening, 6th form choices...oh, and GCSE science modules for good measure!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It has been a short term, but a bloomin hard one, Mock exams, 6th form interviews, parents evening, 6th form choices...oh, and GCSE science modules for good measure!
Nasty, I always hated those science modules - are you doing the multiple choice ones? I did them 4/5 years ago and wonder if they've changed much?

Phoenix

Established Member
Don't know about you, but I'm loving the sound of Uni summer holidays. Break up mid-June and start again in October!

Some people at certain Universities and on certain courses also get 1-week "reading weeks" which is basically half term.

Yeah I get mid-June till Mid-September so your a little more lucky than me but we only get the one reading week really in October but they still ask us to come in to practice microscope techniques.

D306

Established Member
half term. Not relaxing for me. I've got something booked for every day now, mainly a panto but it's great fun

Mr Alex

half term. Not relaxing for me. I've got something booked for every day now, mainly a panto but it's great fun
Oh no you haven't:lol:
Glad half term is here, time to switch off... Looking forward to Carlisle next week though:D
;)

It's not fair, 5 years ago I had my last proper half term break in my last year at school, when I was at college it was called self directed study week! :D
Well, no studying was done at all as far as I was concerned! :P

Who else thinks half terms should be banned or reduced to one a year?

Last edited:

me123

Established Member

Or as my flatmates called it: "Fresher's Week; Mark 2". Having 9am starts every day that week and no ID to go anywhere, it pretty much sucked for me :cry:

Tom B

Established Member
Nasty, I always hated those science modules - are you doing the multiple choice ones? I did them 4/5 years ago and wonder if they've changed much?

There was a big reform of the GCSE Science thing in 2006 apparently. They now do things called ISAs - nothing to do with tax-free savings I don't think!

I had an inset day today!! :):D Bring on half term....

I sometimes wonder what the point in scheduling INSET days is, when staff take time off during the main term to go on courses in the name of INSET!

MCR247

Established Member
I have nothing planned really for half term apart from late nights etc..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I sometimes wonder what the point in scheduling INSET days is, when staff take time off during the main term to go on courses in the name of INSET!

Weve had 3 inset days since september with 1 or 2 more coming...

Metroland

Established Member
Yes, I'm not sure how half term prepares students for the real world, where you will be lucky to get 2 weeks off per year and work 40-50 hours a week plus.

That said, the really out of date concept is summer holidays, which came about through when schools were set up in the Victorian period and far more people (including children) worked on the land. The summer break was in order for them to help with the harvest - not sure much of that goes on any more!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's also quite bad for those who have switched to the 6-term year (I think it's called that) as that completely changes the school year.

In Buckinghamshire we still had the "traditional" school year but the librarian's daughter went to school in Oxfordshire, and her school had changed to 6-term, meaning that the school holidays never lined up. I've heard stories of where parents have 3 children at different schools where their Easter holidays can go over 6 weeks!

Still, I'd never get rid of the summer holidays, too many good memories from those years ago :)

mbonwick

Established Member

Yes and no.
The modules we're doing are split into 4:
1a
1b

1a and 1b are multiple choice, 30min papers but 2 and 3 are short answer, 45min papers.
There's a paper each for Biology, Physics and Chemistry so it actually looks like:
B1a, C1a, P1a
B1b, C1b, P1b
B2, C2, P2
B3, C3, P3

The ones in January were p2, so now I've just got p3 to go!

Tom B

Established Member
Weve had 3 inset days since september with 1 or 2 more coming...

There should be 5 per year, although some may be taken as evenings.

Yes, I'm not sure how half term prepares students for the real world, where you will be lucky to get 2 weeks off per year and work 40-50 hours a week plus.

Unless you're a teacher - in which case it's 32.5 hours per week, 39 weeks per year!

mbonwick

Established Member
It doesn't work like that though Tom. My dad is a teacher so I should know. It's not about just teaching kids from 0900 until 1530. There is so much planning and organiising that everyone seems to forget......

Tom B

Established Member
It doesn't work like that though Tom. My dad is a teacher so I should know. It's not about just teaching kids from 0900 until 1530. There is so much planning and organiising that everyone seems to forget......

I'm aware and that was slightly tounge in cheek - however, teachers do have PPA time for planning etc, and any hours they may work in the evenings etc go towards their 1265 hour limit.

To those users who are still at school.

Is it really half term already? I still feel as I've only gone back after Christmas.

You lucky lot!

Yep. My two weeks start from the 2nd of March all the way to the 16/03/'09.

Status
Not open for further replies.