• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hartlepool scrap trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poolie

Anyone know anything about scrap trains on the Hartlepool power station branch?
Bloke I know says he has seen a couple of trains loading with scrap from the old shipyard at Graythorp that has scrapped the 'Ghost Ships' which have been dismantled there.
Where were they going?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Haven't heard about this, thought all the stuff from there was going by road. Not even sure if there is somewhere to transfer the scrap to a train. Sure he did not see a nuclear working?

Poolie

Definitely not. He knows a bit about railways and said they were topped and tailed by what he thought were 58's with about 13 wagons. The loading was clearly visible from the bridge over the line at Graythorp with cranes tipping the scrap into the wagons!

Definitely not. He knows a bit about railways and said they were topped and tailed by what he thought were 58's with about 13 wagons. The loading was clearly visible from the bridge over the line at Graythorp with cranes tipping the scrap into the wagons!

Can't see it being 58's no one uses them afaik. more likely 66's any pics or day's they were seen.

sprinterguy

Established Member
A quick bit of googling confirms that the OP is correct. Top and tailed EWS 66s sandwiching (I think) SSA wagons, parked where the line runs adjacent to Graythorp dock. Enter this image number into Google search: 5015328234_a781863e1e.jpg (Looks like Hartlepool to me!). First train ran on September 22nd apparently.

And if we're lucky, this link will do exactly the same thing: www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/5015328234/

Hydro

Established Member
I'm very suprised that they are allowed to load the wagons like that.

Why? You should see the stone trains being unloaded at Fareham. 360 mounted up a mountain of ballast scooping the stone out of the wagons.

The grab operator has a very clear view of the train and wagons, looks fine to me.

Established Member
Why? You should see the stone trains being unloaded at Fareham. 360 mounted up a mountain of ballast scooping the stone out of the wagons.

The grab operator has a very clear view of the train and wagons, looks fine to me.

The fact that it is not happening within the site, and over railway land. I'm not saying it is unsafe, but NR were having problems with another scrap company further up the line in Hartlepool where material was getting onto railway land and an access track.

Old Timer

Established Member
The fact that it is not happening within the site, and over railway land. I'm not saying it is unsafe, but NR were having problems with another scrap company further up the line in Hartlepool where material was getting onto railway land and an access track.
Is this branch definitely a Network Rail branch, and not one operated by DBS ?

As for the loading, provided there is a working instruction for this, then there is no issue, especially so when there is only one line.

The issue about another scrap Company is not relevant in this regard.

Established Member
Is this branch definitely a Network Rail branch, and not one operated by DBS ?

As for the loading, provided there is a working instruction for this, then there is no issue, especially so when there is only one line.

The issue about another scrap Company is not relevant in this regard.

It is either a NR branch or owned by Hartlepool Nuclear Power Plant (or whatever company owns it now).

Hydro

Established Member
Quail doesn't show any NR boundary limits, so presumably it must be NR up to the gates of the power station.

NR have also had problems with the Crossley Evans scrap trains from Shipley, when these have been carelessly loaded with flappy bits of sheet metal which have contacted the OHLE and brought the line to a halt for hours. This has happened more than once.

Although in fairness, this is not relevant :)

Last edited:

Established Member
Still is relevant as the company concerned wanted to do pretty much the same as what is happening here, but apparently were knocked back.

Ploughman

Established Member
It has happened many times over the last few years that odd trains have been loaded "In section " as it where.
Usually though they have been covered by a possession.
I seem to recall a number of timber trains being loaded this way in Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.