Hatton Garden theft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mojo, 11 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This story has been in the news for most of the week, but one thing I've been wondering is, if valuables worth several hundred million pounds are stored there, why are there no security staff present? It seems pretty standard in many commercial premises to have a night time security guard; it's not as if it costs a lot, such staff typically earn £8-9 per hour.

2. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    With regard to the matter of the police and their stated decision, is it not the case that this company had caused a certain number of false alarms in a certain period of time, which automatically triggers a lowering of police response under their response policy regime.

3. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

It did seem like a plot out of "The Sweeney" to me.

4. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

A proper robbery for once!

5. Springs Branch

Springs Branch Member

Yes, unfortunately this time the (real) Flying Squad weren't waiting, disguised as cleaners with their guns hidden in bin bags.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2015
  6. EM2

EM2 Established Member

There are:
    http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/08/hatto...h-to-investigate-when-alarm-went-off-5139492/

7. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Presumably the value quoted as having been stolen is based on figures provided by the owners, so we can probably at least halve the sum...?;)

8. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Would such figures be those used for insurance full-cost replacements?

9. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

10. AM9

AM9 Established Member

One wonders how many of the boxes contained things that their owners didn't want anybody to know existed, least of all the tax authorities!

11. muz379

muz379 Established Member

From what ive read a number of the boxes belonged to local jewelers some of whom didn't have insurance .

12. Western Lord

Western Lord Member

Indeed! One wonders how geared up the police are for old fashioned safebreaking these days. No doubt if they thought a 1970's celebrity was involved they would have been round there like a shot.

13. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Could the mysterious underground fire in the Kingsway area a few days before the Hatton Garden job be linked? The retired ex-head of the Flying Squad said he was convinced it was, and I'd think he has acquaintances providing him with some information.

I wonder if a French film company will do a reverse Clouseau with inept Scotland Yard detectives speaking in cod cockney accents?!

14. Springs Branch

Springs Branch Member

I wonder, when the Met finally come bursting through the door to find the villains counting out the diamonds, if they still say "you're nicked!"

15. Abpj17

Abpj17 Member

Pretty unlikely - they simply aren't that close.

Today's news is that it might have been an inside job

16. Busaholic

They aren't that close, but they aren't too far away from each other either, particularly as the crow flies, or, to put it another way, the gas flows. The guy wearing a GAS tabard on the CCTV probably hadn't just knocked off from his shift, but had maybe used it previously to gain access to underground parts. Given this heist will have been in the planning for months, if not years, the Kingsway fire a few days before the Long Good Friday would have provided unparalleled access opportunities, especially during the initial panicky stages, and in fragmented infrastructure utilities, to someone with sufficient rudimentary knowledge and a degree of brass neck and authoritative manner, such access might have been granted.

Anyway, it was only the ex-chief of the Flying Squad who said it!:)

17. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I do wonder if there's a connection. The two incidents aren't that close, but as said above - they're still pretty close and given nobody really knew for 24 hours or so exactly what was going on, it's quite feasible to think that people relatively close could believe, if told by someone official looking, there could be problems that need investigating in relation to the incident.

Say it's a gas pipe that runs through/near your property, or a sewer, or electrical cable ducting, that is the same as up the road and why wouldn't you believe them? In emergency situations, it's probably easy to get access without the necessary paperwork. Imagine asking for ID/paperwork when you're being told 'We need to get in now, or you might be on fire next'.

Classic A-Team tactics!!

18. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

The Kingsway fire certainly had an effect in Hatton Gardens.

The head office of the company I work for is opposite Hatton Gardens and there was major disruption to the phone and computer network because of the fire.

19. Busaholic

If there was no connection, it was surely mighty strange that a member of the gang was wearing a tabard bearing the word 'Gas', not presumably part of his everyday wear. It has also still not been revealed how they gained access to the property, if indeed it is known.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.