• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you had valid Delay Repay claims rejected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skie

Had VT send me £20 on a group delay. Bit of back and forth and they sent the correct amount: £970. Bit of a difference!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNER recently denied one of my claims as their system doesn't take into account any connections missed. They just look at whether THEIR train is delayed. It was resolved with an email however.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
LNER recently denied one of my claims as their system doesn't take into account any connections missed. They just look at whether THEIR train is delayed. It was resolved with an email however.

Yes, exactly my experience.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I had one a couple of years ago which was rejected twice despite the delay being well above the threshold; I raised the matter at CEO* level and it was then - swiftly - found that the claim was valid and the reason for the rejection was that despite my having given the booked and actual times plus the reporting number, the claims team had looked at the wrong train in the timetable, the late running train having arrived in the path of another train that was subject to a much less severe delay...

The TOC in question apologised and not only refunded the full sum instead of the 50% due but also gave me two free first class return tickets valid for their entire route network.

*To comply with forum rules: CEO = Chief Executive Officer.

gray1404

Established Member
Still have a claim open from VTEC.

Split tickets across London. Exeter to Newcastle.

London to Newcastle is 65 minutes late so I claim for whole journey.

Only get compensation for that ticket so I call up and complain. Get a snotty response and staff member egged me on to contact Transport Focus.

I called them again later. Same response.

Only received compensation from Northern when I contacted their social media team and asked them to chase it up after I was offered a pound when I was owed 10. Again, split tickets. In the end I got the money I was owed however.

This is quite concerning given that VTEC ended ages ago. I assume you have opened a case with Transport Focus and are waiting to hear back or is it still with the TOC?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
This is quite concerning given that VTEC ended ages ago. I assume you have opened a case with Transport Focus and are waiting to hear back or is it still with the TOC?

Honestly, as the dispute clashed with me starting University, I didn't have the time nor the energy to be fighting them. I remember the bloke on the phone being sarcastic and dismissive, saying 'well I don't know why you expect us to change our minds' and I just gave up, as much as it really irritated me.

It's only been more recently with LNER that people seem to have had more success with split tickets. If it happened again suffice to say I'd fight it harder.

SWT_USER

I've just received the following (edited) email rejection from SWR:

We’ve reviewed your journey and calculated the delay was less than 15
minutes. In this instance, you’re not able to claim compensation.

Your planned route (scheduled times):
Departing 1728 from London Waterloo to Ashford (Surrey) arriving 1803.

The next available service (actual times):
Departed 1728 from London Waterloo to Ashford (Surrey) arrived 1837.

Clearly that is a valid claim. I don't see how even a trained chimp could reject that. I'd actually assumed that the process was largely automated - and it probably should be if they can't employ humans that can process even the simplest of claims.

kristiang85

Established Member
I've just received the following (edited) email rejection from SWR:

We’ve reviewed your journey and calculated the delay was less than 15
minutes. In this instance, you’re not able to claim compensation.

Departing 1728 from London Waterloo to Ashford (Surrey) arriving 1803.

Departed 1728 from London Waterloo to Ashford (Surrey) arrived 1837.

Clearly that is a valid claim. I don't see how even a trained chimp could reject that. I'd actually assumed that the process was largely automated - and it probably should be if they can't employ humans that can process even the simplest of claims.

SWR have given me some bizarre rejections, so I just appeal and restate the circumstances and each time they've passed it. But this case is plainly ridiculous on their part.

Coolzac

I have just had a valid delay repay claim rejected.

The offending company is LNER. I am very frustrated at it being rejected as I didn't even have a split ticket- I purchased an advance single from London KGX - Marske, changing at Darlington.

I was delayed for 26 minutes from London KGX-Darlington, but this made me miss my connection to Marske and the next train wasn't for another hour. Therefore I was delayed for an hour.

However, on my claim they said I was only delayed 26 minutes so therefore am not owed anything! I have sent them a stern e-mail reminding them that it is the delay to the total journey, and that rejecting valid delay repay claims is a serious matter.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
SWR have given me some bizarre rejections, so I just appeal and restate the circumstances and each time they've passed it. But this case is plainly ridiculous on their part.
Same here. SWR refused my claim, because apparently a timetable change overrules the contract I had with them. As it was a relatively low value claim, I decided not to issue a letter before action on this occasion. But they're a rotten company and I'm sure they're diddling many people out of the monies they owe.

XC appear to reject valid Delay Repay claims when the customer changes trains to/from another operator: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/delay-repay-xc-refusal-to-accept-split-tickets.179638/ ; in this case they treat the journey to be split into two or more journeys at the point where the customer changes ticket (not necessarily where they change train).

Very odd and incorrect behaviour by XC, but it's the sort of behaviour I now expect from them.
I have just had a valid delay repay claim rejected.

The offending company is LNER. I am very frustrated at it being rejected as I didn't even have a split ticket- I purchased an advance single from London KGX - Marske, changing at Darlington.

I was delayed for 26 minutes from London KGX-Darlington, but this made me miss my connection to Marske and the next train wasn't for another hour. Therefore I was delayed for an hour.

However, on my claim they said I was only delayed 26 minutes so therefore am not owed anything! I have sent them a stern e-mail reminding them that it is the delay to the total journey, and that rejecting valid delay repay claims is a serious matter.
Escalate the matter to Mike Ross ( Mike.Ross@lner.co.uk )

Many forum members have reported that he has politely and effectively dealt with incorrect actions by the company and has ensured the monies due are paid.

You may wish to state that you are aware of many customers being refused compensation when making a journey involving a change of trains, and that you are seeking assurances that people will not be incorrectly denied claims in future. However this problem has occurred many times over the years and I don't think anyone at the company can resolve the deep rooted issues.

It's ridiculous that so many valid claims are rejected, and only those with the knowledge, time and patience to escalate the matter to someone who does actually understand the rules, get their rightful compensation. But that's the game LNER are playing, and it was the same under the previous franchise holders. I can't see it ever changing!

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

Coolzac

XC appear to reject valid Delay Repay claims when the customer changes trains to/from another operator: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/delay-repay-xc-refusal-to-accept-split-tickets.179638/ ; in this case they treat the journey to be split into two or more journeys at the point where the customer changes ticket (not necessarily where they change train).

Very odd and incorrect behaviour by XC, but it's the sort of behaviour I now expect from them.

Many forum members have reported that he has politely and effectively dealt with incorrect actions by the company and has ensured the monies due are paid.

You may wish to state that you are aware of many customers being refused compensation when making a journey involving a change of trains, and that you are seeking assurances that people will not be incorrectly denied claims in future. However this problem has occurred many times over the years and I don't think anyone at the company can resolve the deep rooted issues.

It's ridiculous that so many valid claims are rejected, and only those with the knowledge, time and patience to escalate the matter to someone who does actually understand the rules, get their rightful compensation. But that's the game LNER are playing, and it was the same under the previous franchise holders. I can't see it ever changing!

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

Thank you very much, I will see if they respond to the email I sent. But if they either don't respond or respond negatively I will then email Mike. I will let you know how I get on.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Southern have rejected my claim again when I was delayed, due to waiting for a bus because they can find no record of it.I kissed my connection.

Do I submit my claim again for a third time? I can't respond to the e-mail. Its a hassle to type in the details each time.

Now many times does one submit a claim before going elsewhere to complain?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Southern have rejected my claim again when I was delayed, due to waiting for a bus because they can find no record of it.I kissed my connection.

Do I submit my claim again for a third time? I can't respond to the e-mail. Its a hassle to type in the details each time.

Now many times does one submit a claim before going elsewhere to complain?
It's your choice. If it's been more than 40 working days (approx 2 months) since you first raised the matter, or you have a "letter of deadlock" (you can request this), you can take it to the Rail Ombudsman.

Alternatively or if that doesn't succeed, a Letter Before Action often delivers surprisingly effective results... (though it's a shame it has to go all legalese)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Forget resubmitting the claim again to Southern. Instead I'd email customer services quoting the Delay Repay reference number from your rejection email. I've had more success with Customer Services than the useless Delay Repay department in the past.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's your choice. If it's been more than 40 working days (approx 2 months) since you first raised the matter, or you have a "letter of deadlock" (you can request this), you can take it to the Rail Ombudsman.

Alternatively or if that doesn't succeed, a Letter Before Action often delivers surprisingly effective results... (though it's a shame it has to go all legalese)

Forget resubmitting the claim again to Southern. Instead I'd email customer services quoting the Delay Repay reference number from your rejection email. I've had more success with Customer Services than the useless Delay Repay department in the past.
Thanks for your replies. I shall try the customer services department. I did Tweet Southern earlier to ask if delay repay applies to buses. I was aware it did but wanted to find out their view as the e-mail talks of checking against their train running information records.

Anyway they confirmed it does a d then I responded about having my claim rejected twice due to no such service.

I think it's best to go into these things more generally first and then set out your problem. That way you get a general answer rather than one aimed at your problem, which they probably can't solve themselves anyway.

Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member

I had an email from him saying he would get back within 7 working days. That was on the 24th of February. I sent a reminder this morning. At some point I'll go onto Transport Focus.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had an email from him saying he would get back within 7 working days. That was on the 24th of February. I sent a reminder this morning. At some point I'll go onto Transport Focus.

Was your journey before or after the rail ombudsman came into effect?

---------

Northern rejected my 30 minute delay from December from Hebden Bridge to Leeds (caused by signalling problems between Bradford & Leeds), pretty much on time leaving Bradford and they tried rejecting it on multi-model ticket grounds (I had a West Yorkshire Train+Bus Rover). Went via the Ombudsman and ended up getting a freebie day ticket.

I just have issues with SWR trying to claim it takes 2 minutes for a train to travel the 6 miles from Andover to Grateley

Adam Williams

Established Member
I understand companies like Northern use a system which ignores the contracted itinerary, and instead compares the latest version of the timetable, so the customer's train(s) may not be shown as ever having booked to run, or shown as booked to run at different times to the contracted time.

GWR did exactly this on the phone to me. The initial emailed claim (in April 2018, GWRR180422BJPP I think) was fobbed off with an email asking me for information I had already provided. The claim was then denied incorrectly (ref GWRR180422BJPP) and for some reason I was then referred to XC despite the delay having been caused by GWR. I replied at the end of April, and eventually called them when they didn't bother responding. They looked up the journey, used the wrong timetable and then claimed again that they couldn't give me a refund.

When I asked for the exact departure to,es they were using and compared against my own itinenary, I spotted it didn't match up with my calculations. I then provided my TOD reference, they were able to check the actual itinenary and recalculated the delay to be 59 minutes in length. At this point, as a "gesture of goodwill", a refund was provided despite it being technically less than an hour delay according to their systems. All in all, the whole debacle took a few months to resolve.

agbrs_Jack

Northern confuse me with their claim process as they are either incredibly slow, or very fast.

Example 1:
Horsforth to Knottingley
Train arrived into Leeds at 12:00
Obviously missed the 12:00 Knottingley service, 60m delay IIRC.
Northern rejected it stating I should've made the 1200 service, they changed the arrival time of the ex-Horsforth to 1157 (Still not really enough time to get from P1 to P17 at Leeds!)
Eventually got a free return ticket off them (+ another as goodwill for taking 85 working days to pay) (Within the 85 days, I had a SWR claim WAT-SOU Advance 1st class for ~£9, got £4.95 back within a week.)

Example 2:
Inverness to Congleton
0959 Inverness to Aberdeen 1212
1229 Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen Street 1507
1557 Glasgow Central to Preston 1810
1822 Preston to Manchester Piccadilly 1915
2024 Manchester Picc to Congleton - Service cancelled. Bus replacement arrived at Congleton Station at 2200. 60m delay.

Had:
Advance single Inverness-Glasgow QS
Advance single Glasgow Central-Congleton
100% compensation within 2 weeks: £36.25

Never had any TOC reject other than the above Northern claim.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Average speed of 180mph, everything seems right to me! :lol:

I've got 'actual' timings from customer services and working out average speed is 112 mph. (3 minutes & 25 seconds duration for 6 miles & 30 chains mostly uphill)

With 90mph stock :lol:

(Most likely the timing point being used is a signal (473 on open time train maps) which is a couple miles away)

SWT_USER

Today's gem from SWR - although this is actually an approved claim! However they have under paid it. The 10th March (date in question) is a Sunday so there is only an hourly service. They've compensated me for a half hour delay on the basis I waited 18 hours at Richmond for the first Hounslow loop service the following day... absolute idiots still can't process even the simplest claims correctly.

On the day in question I actually ended up going an alternative route because IIRC the following train was also cancelled resulting in a two hour delay - not sure if it still possible to check this?

Departing 0858 from Ashford (Surrey) to Brentford arriving 0917.

Departed 0929 from Ashford (Surrey) to Richmond arrived 0947.
Departed 0642 from Richmond to Brentford arrived 0706.

johntea

Established Member
I have just had one rejected by Northern

Departing 1730 from Leeds to Normanton arriving 1756.

Route we think you took (actual times):
Departed 1730 from Leeds to Normanton arrived 1755.

Err not quite Northern, as I clearly stated in the claim notes box it was IMPOSSIBLE to board the 1730 as it was so full the guard was no longer letting any more customers on by 1725! So my next option is the 18:30 which is a 1 hour delay...

Dougal2345

Trying to submit a couple of claims on the (newly updated) SWR site, and it is refusing to take a 6-digit sortcode for the BACS payment - have tried both Edge and Firefox with no luck...

Dougal2345

No it seems to be a problem with the html form itself... it won't allow more than 2 digits to be typed in (unless there's a trick to it that I can't find). There's evidently been a big site design update this weekend, but hopefully the bug will be fixed quickly...

AntoniC

I havent !
Northern are repaying me the princely sum of £0.88 after the 17.21 Leeds to Southport train was delayed on 09/03/19 by 27 mins.
Why only £0.88 you ask - well I was using a £7 Northern Friends & Family Rail Ranger that day (on a Forum event).
I am just waiting for the increase in my bank balance !

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I havent !
Northern are repaying me the princely sum of £0.88 after the 17.21 Leeds to Southport train was delayed on 09/03/19 by 27 mins.
Why only £0.88 you ask - well I was using a £7 Northern Friends & Family Rail Ranger that day (on a Forum event).
I am just waiting for the increase in my bank balance !
Look out for this one eh, with his whole 88p compensation :lol:. Interesting to see they are treating it as a Return ticket effectively.

palmersears

Established Member
Northern and TPE have been quite good for me. I've had to appeal a couple for the former when the delay has been caused by me physically not being able to board a short formed service, but it's been resolved fairly quickly after that.

East Midlands Trains however are just useless, claiming the minimum connection time at Piccadilly is 20 minutes(!) on at least three occasions. When they do pay out the figure is always wrong in addition. Once they paid out 30.70 instead of 3.70, and despite numerous attempts to contact them to explain their error they've just ignored me...

Status
Not open for further replies.