• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help please nr trying to prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

student99

No dont have any of my old tickets

Haha sods law again moved to preston that week gave em both my preston and manc uni address

Ive got proof that i just moved to preston though

Btw which address can i expecg the letter to come to

They did a check on my manc address

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
How can anyone "forget" the station they traveled from? Particularly when said stations are some 20 odd miles apart and presumably look completely different?

I'm sure it's possible if - say - you're tired or stressed or preoccupied with other things.

I don't think I've ever forgotten where I'm coming from, but there's been a couple of occasions (admittedly on short journeys, nothing like Preston-Manchester) when I've forgotten where I'm going to - to the extent of getting off a train, leaving a station and then thinking, 'Oh bugger, I didn't mean to get out here'. For me that's most likely to happen if I'm doing something slightly different from my normal routine, which tallies with the OP's description of what happened.

Of course that's not really any help to the OP because 'I forgot' is such an easy excuse that you can bet the vast majority of people who claim that are dishonestly trying it on - and since there's no way to tell who the minority who really did forget are, you can well understand a court always rejecting 'I forgot' as an excuse.

snail

Established Member
Haha sods law again moved to preston that week gave em both my preston and manc uni address

Ive got proof that i just moved to preston though
Glad you find it funny. So you live in Preston, got on the train in Preston but forgot all that when asked about it less than a hour later in Manchester.

I don't think I would bother with the 'I forgot where I lived' excuse if I were you. Like others have said, the train company has heard all the excuses before and the likelihood of them believing you seems pretty slim. I think you need to accept that you made a serious error and apologise for that without padding it out with lots of excuses.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
So theres absolutely nothing i can do?
What kind of reply should i give when i give my version of events .. Just stick to facts and apologise or try a sympathy tact?
. . . my intent wasnt to avoid a fare.. Will they not understand that by the fact i said bolton not a closer station ?
So does the truth not matter? . . . . anyone who travelled from preston will now that when u enter from that side entrance there are no signs whatsoever saying tickets or anything
<see picture of Preston posted by snail>
Murderers get off on technicalities .. Food for thought
I wonder if I could make a suggestion at this point?
We've largely identified you as someone who likes 'excuses', 'get-outs' or loopholes rather than someone with honesty and integrity.
I'm sure hundreds of other people (including Railway Prosecutors and Magistrates) will come to similar conclusions about you.
Might this not be a good opportunity to consider a policy of integrity and honesty from here on? Perhaps adopting a policy of never making an excuse for any failing and accepting full resposnibility for everything you do, whether or not you were at fault?

You were both fare evading and attempting to fare evade. You admitted it yourself.

Also try and write any letter in English, rather than a random jumble of letters and punctuation marks.
Another proposal for radical reform which would do you well in future.

You might as well find some benefit from this incident, so there are two initial suggestions for you.

student99

Sorry
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know i have come across like that due to the fact i was extremely worried

I totally accept my error and will now use all the great advice and criticism ive recieved in this thread

Thank you for everything and i hope to keep you up to date

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.