• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

help with dot test needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane_lewis

hi im new here,

i have my assesment day next week with southern, and i was looking for some help and advice.

i already have the dot test download that i found on the internet, but can anybody tell me how the scoring works and what i should be aiming for? like how many pages in x amount of time etc, and does anyone know the maximum number of wrong answers allowed? do southern do the test on a pc or on paper.

also is there any other places to get some test questions, like the fault finding, and the mechanical comp that i can practise?

many many thanks for any advice or help you can give.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not sure if Southern use paper or the computer, but to pass, there's two things taken into account.

1. Number of mistakes you make? Try make none.
2. Did you pass the (unknown, they don't tell you) minimum number? Work as fast but accurate as you can.

For practice, get a newspaper with a big block of text in a paragraph and try cross out all the letter 'g's, working only from left to right then onto the next line.

Then find another paragraph, and practice crossing out 'g's and 'h's.

Finally for the third bit, try practice 'g's and crossing out the first letter of each line, and any other letters on that line the same as the first.

Your head may almost explode mid test, but the idea is to see if you concentrate for long periods of time, remaining focused and not become distracted.

GB

Established Member
...only those that administer the test know the pass marks. However with the computer program aim for half the page per 2 minutes and up to 3 errors or omissions over all and you will be fine.

TDK

Established Member
hi im new here,

i have my assesment day next week with southern, and i was looking for some help and advice.

i already have the dot test download that i found on the internet, but can anybody tell me how the scoring works and what i should be aiming for? like how many pages in x amount of time etc, and does anyone know the maximum number of wrong answers allowed? do southern do the test on a pc or on paper.

also is there any other places to get some test questions, like the fault finding, and the mechanical comp that i can practise?

many many thanks for any advice or help you can give.

If you listen to the question at assessment they ask for consistancy and accuracy, just ensure you don't go hell for leather on the first page and then dwindle towards the end.

I passed this with a good grade and didn't fill any pages all were between half and three quarters full with no errors and albiet it was 12 years ago it was with southern

Beveridges

Established Member
I was getting 1500 cells on practice and passed easily so that "unknown speed" is definitely well below 1500, anyone got lower and passed so we can work out what the pass mark could be?

insane_lewis

thanks for getting back to me on that.

so with the progg that i downloaded from digital reality im getting between 1/2 -3/4's and i got 3 wrong over 5 pages and missed none. that was last night, but i have printed out loads of pages now. there are more lines to a page on paper than there is screen do i allow myself the same 2 minuets per page? or is it longer for a paper version?

thanks very much, its just i dont have long to practise i found out i got the assesment last friday so its a little over a week.

does anyone rate the material on how2become? apparently there is a whole trainee driver suite with questions in all tests on there?

387star

On Moderation
Not sure if Southern use paper or the computer, but to pass, there's two things taken into account.

1. Number of mistakes you make? Try make none.
2. Did you pass the (unknown, they don't tell you) minimum number? Work as fast but accurate as you can.

For practice, get a newspaper with a big block of text in a paragraph and try cross out all the letter 'g's, working only from left to right then onto the next line.

Then find another paragraph, and practice crossing out 'g's and 'h's.

Finally for the third bit, try practice 'g's and crossing out the first letter of each line, and any other letters on that line the same as the first.

Your head may almost explode mid test, but the idea is to see if you concentrate for long periods of time, remaining focused and not become distracted.

Whe nyou say mistakes do you mean both total errors and those missed? Does one mistake count for more than the other?

Established Member
One missed or a wrong one marked is the same. The minimum pass mark (number done) is equally important.

slipperytrack

I'm busy practising the dot test as I currently have an application in with one of the TOC's. I find I have good days and bad days with the dot test. This morning I achieved:

Targets Omitted ------------ None
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Total Cells ---------------- 1511
Row Fluctuation ------------ 2.53

This is my best effort to date and I hope if I ever get to the assessment stage I can reproduce these stats on the day. Typically I get 3 - 5 errors, 1500 cells and a vigilance of 2.5 - 3.0.

Good luck to anyone with an assessment coming up.

From memory the actual paper version of the Group Bourdon test is a little different from the print-outs you get from the software version.

I think the cells are a bit smaller than on the print out, but on the plus side there is less lines per sheet (you still get 10 minutes to do 5 separate sheets).

The purpose of the test is to make sure you can concentrate on a boring task for an extended period of time whilst still carrying out your duties efficiently.

So, missing cells or incorrectly marking cells is seen as a big negative. Equally if you do not reach the preset required number of correct cells then that is too seen as a negative.

With regard to the pass mark, I have **unconfirmed** reports that the pass mark differs between TOC's and for different roles. For example Guards and Drivers assessments have different pass marks.

Hope this helps.

W230

Established Member
I'm busy practising the dot test as I currently have an application in with one of the TOC's. I find I have good days and bad days with the dot test. This morning I achieved:

Targets Omitted ------------ None
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Total Cells ---------------- 1511
Row Fluctuation ------------ 2.53

This is my best effort to date and I hope if I ever get to the assessment stage I can reproduce these stats on the day. Typically I get 3 - 5 errors, 1500 cells and a vigilance of 2.5 - 3.0.

Good luck to anyone with an assessment coming up.
Should be fine with that. I was getting around 1400 cells on the software with maybe 2 or 3 omissions over the sheets and passed on the day.

LCC106

Established Member
If you search for "group bourdon" from the tool in the (nearly) top right hand side of the Railway Jobs and Careers main page you'll find the link in several places. Hope this helps. (i.e. "Search this forum" under "Page 1 of.........")

Status
Not open for further replies.