• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

helping guard with a fare dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whilst it was/is often the TOCs 'line' that trains should not be delayed whilst waiting for police assistance to fare evaders...
In most cases yes, however some TOCs (e.g. Southeastern) have been known to delay trains because holders of valid tickets were unwilling to buy an additional, unnecessary ticket.

Another TOC (GWR) have been known to make false allegations of a passenger holding a gun, in order to bypass this policy. I know the allegation was completely and utterly false, because I was a witness to the incident (as were several other forum members). Incidentally, the passenger held a valid ticket on that occasion too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I take the approach that I won't delay the service unless my safety or that of others is at risk. If I've got someone refusing to pay or provide details, I'll attempt to find out where they're going, back off and see if I can get them a "welcoming committee".

Delaying services isn't appreciated by anyone - especially if it's just a £3 fare. While some may not like this, it keeps people on the move and keeps the powers that be off my back.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I would never get involved. A passenger getting involved can make a situation worse. TOC employees are expected to avoid conflict and another person getting involved in a matter which is between another passenger achieves nothing expect making it worse. It is basically none of my business.

It is everyone's "business" when fare evasion is happening, as the evader is parasitising society. Whether you get involved in individual incidents or not is another matter.

Antman

Established Member
It is everyone's "business" when fare evasion is happening, as the evader is parasitising society. Whether you get involved in individual incidents or not is another matter.

Well I told a member of Southern staff at Victoria about somebody tailgating through the ticket gates and he wasn't interested so why should I be?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well I told a member of Southern staff at Victoria about somebody tailgating through the ticket gates and he wasn't interested so why should I be?

There is not a lot he could do, is there?

70014IronDuke

Established Member

He could have said something like: "Thank you sir. I will report it, and we do try to control these things, but please understand, with all the rush hour passengers, it's a matter of balancing staff for the job."

Indeed, I think he should be trained to say something on those lines. Otherwise, helpful passengers will just - as above - think: why the hell should I bother then?

Which reminds me of something I experienced a few decades back. It was 1973, kind of this time of the year, I was on a Midland semi-fast heading north, at Kettering. It was 11.00 or so on a Saturday morning, and I was in an SK or CK Mk 1, and, of course, there was a Cl 45 at the front. <sigh for old times>

As we left the station, a group of six or so very loutish looking Leicester City "supporters" lumped their way past my compartment towards the front of the train. And before we'd got to Glendon South there were light bulbs being flung out onto the track from up front.

Pretty quickly the guard came up, heading towards the front. Whether the gang had tickets or not, I don't know, but they were obviously trouble. I forget the exact sequence of events - I think he may have gone up and come back - at which point i told him I was a fellow railwayman, and if I could help I'd do my best to lend a hand. (Not that I consider myself a tough guy, but I felt I had to show solidarity. The guard, I suppose he was 50 or so, certainly didn't come over as tough.)

Anyway, he came back past me again after Mkt Harboro, told me he'd asked for help to be ready at Leicester, and went forward. I was standing at the compartment door. A few minutes later he came back with two lads, and told them - you sit in there and stay there. So the lads squeezed past me and sat down. But the guard then went off towards the back, leaving me with them! Hell, I didn't know what to do.

They were probably only 15-16, and started talking among themselves, obviously letting me hear, saying things like: Well, it wasn't us. Why does he think it was us?" Since I was standing, and it kind of gave me some superiority, I stayed that way, near the door. The lads were obviously not the ring leaders of the gang, and the guard had picked on them, presumably, in order to achieve some sort of easy result.

This went on for some miles, till we were approaching Leicester station. At this point, the guard reappeared from the rear, while simultaneously the rest of the gang, led by a big 'hard' guy, wearing black gloves with metal studs on them, appeared from the front. I'd guess he was aged 18-19 or so.

The next bit was over in a flash - but the guard said something like - ok, you two, come with me, and the two lads got up. At which, the 'hard' guy stepped in between the guard and the lads, and they squeezed out behind the hard guy into the corridor, ignoring the guard. At this point, I put my hand over the 'hard' guy's shoulder, tapped one of the lads, and said: Oi, he means you. The 'hard' guy then said to me: who do you think you're talking to? I ignored him, and tapped the boys on the shoulder again: He's talking to you! I said.

We had now come to a stop. The guard went forward to the lads he'd 'apprehended' - and I had to go back into the compartment to pick up my rucksack (containing two valuable cameras), and I tried to follow the gaggle onto the platform. I think the guard said something like You stay with the train to me - not that I had any power/authority to do anything with the train!

As I stepped onto the platform, the guard was leading the two lads, five-six yard in front, followed by the hard man, followed by two-three others in the gang who were just in front of me. A second later the two lads started running away from the guard, who gave chase, followed immediately by 'hard' man. But significantly, the 2-3 others didn't take any part in this. One made some comment, I forget what exactly - but it was then that I suddenly realised - they'd been through this before. I don't think i exactly started shaking, but it hit me that they knew the 'hard' man meant trouble, and they didn't want to get involved.

Well, I think I then walked down to the brake to do my very unofficial 'duty' for the train (it was due to stop for 18 mins or so awaiting the down Sheffield to overtake it.) Five minutes later, the guard came back. He was smiling: "That will have scared them," he said, "They ran like hell."

Uh? I thought - they just got away? I didn't say anything, but I was pretty furious. I think the guard was old school - he felt that if an official chased you, that was enough. The lads wouldn't do it again.

I thought the opposite. They'd be heroes for the afternoon, having got away with it, and that would mean they'd be more likely to do it again. Meanwhile, - though I couldn't prove it, of course - but I felt pretty sure that it was only with a bit of luck that I'd ignored the hard guy in the corridor. Because if i'd acknowledged him, I'm sure he would have smacked me one, and with his studded gloves, that could have been very nasty.

I never found myself in any situation like that again, but I must say, I felt the whole effort had been pretty much a waste of time, and a very risky one at that, the only positive being the guard, presumably, felt a bit better with my backing him. ​

Apologies - just realised how long this has turned out. I've never written it down before.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
He could have said something like: "Thank you sir. I will report it, and we do try to control these things, but please understand, with all the rush hour passengers, it's a matter of balancing staff for the job."

Indeed, I think he should be trained to say something on those lines. Otherwise, helpful passengers will just - as above - think: why the hell should I bother then?

Yes, you are right. That's actually a very good point.

In reality though, even if he said something along those lines, nothing will get done about it because not much can be done, but yes, that would send out a more positive message and would be more preferred.

AndrewE

Established Member
I wouldn't get involved, but I do make sure the ticket inspector knows I am travelling on a priv or a pass so I'm there if they need moral support (or a witness.)
However sometimes I wonder if my pass might seem like a threat (from retired management? - which I'm not) that they must enforce the rules rather than use their discretion and back off.

Anyway, as others have said, they know their job and I trust them to weigh up the situation and act appropriately.

Bellbell

I take the approach that I won't delay the service unless my safety or that of others is at risk. If I've got someone refusing to pay or provide details, I'll attempt to find out where they're going, back off and see if I can get them a "welcoming committee".

Delaying services isn't appreciated by anyone - especially if it's just a £3 fare. While some may not like this, it keeps people on the move and keeps the powers that be off my back.

I agree, and I think most of us operate such a policy, although you always get one or two that can't let go of a fare.

A friend of mine who is a driver for Northern was recently told by his guard he wasn't giving right away while they waited for the police arrive over non payment of a fare. My friend told the guard straight to get the doors shut and give right away on the basis that he didn't see why every other passenger should be delayed, himself be delayed getting home, other trains be held up on the line and the company be fined by network rail for a late running service.

I think it's the 'told [him] straight' that gets my back up here, which might be your wording rather than your friend's but while I absolutely adhere to a policy of not delaying the train unless there's a risk to safety involved as I said above, I'm also the one in the train with these passengers and wouldn't appreciate being ordered to do anything by my driver.

Like I said, I think it's the wording, because if I was having a bad day and one of the many lovely drivers I work with just said something like 'ah, let it go, we'll be home with a brew while he's still hiding in toilets' when I was venting to him, I'd be fine with that. I guess it's because for me personally, if I've taken the decision that I need police assistance, it's for a good reason - only ever had to call them once - and someone telling me 'straight' that I'm wrong wouldn't go down well at all. My driver and I are a team, and just as I don't question his decisions, he doesn't question mine - we have each others' backs. If you have one of the rare guards who can't apply discretion over when and when not to call police then I guess it's different but either way it goes to show how language can make a situation worse!

Deepgreen

Established Member

'Doubling-up' is exceptionally annoying - my tactic is to be aware of who is behind me and how they are behaving (as far as I can) and be ready to stop dead if I feel any sort of push from behind. It's caught quite a few so far, and my stock comment is along the line of; "you will need your own ticket!" This tends to work better if you are big and tall, and alert enough to stop dead before they can push you through!

Master29

Established Member
I'm curious, however, if you saw fare evasion going on, would you alert the guard/ticket inspector? Say if a group of lads got on and you could hear them bragging about how they got a free train ride, would you make a point of telling the guard?

I don't think I would.

I might, but I do get the point about there being more of them than me. The thing is it is still an open invitation for people to do precisely that. If I wanted I could get a couple of mates and travel around the network not bothering to pay because "it`s not worth getting involved."

island

Veteran Member
'Doubling-up' is exceptionally annoying - my tactic is to be aware of who is behind me and how they are behaving (as far as I can) and be ready to stop dead if I feel any sort of push from behind. It's caught quite a few so far, and my stock comment is along the line of; "you will need your own ticket!" This tends to work better if you are big and tall, and alert enough to stop dead before they can push you through!

Yeah, I used to do that and then got assaulted for my troubles once. A lot more reluctant now.

Antman

Established Member

Well he could have gone after the person who was wandering up the platform towards his train and asked to see his ticket.

I appreciate that if it were an outgoing passenger there would be little he could do.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well he could have gone after the person who was wandering up the platform towards his train and asked to see his ticket.

I appreciate that if it were an outgoing passenger there would be little he could do.

... and leave the gateline unattended?

Stigy

Established Member
There were several members of staff there

It's depends on what staff were at the barriers. If it's not Revenue staff, then they shouldn't be leaving the barriers to go after fare evaders as that's not their job.

LowLevel

Established Member
No driver I know has ever questioned me instructing them to stop out of course or remain at a station because they know I don't do it lightly and that includes not doing it for petty fare evasion. If there's an aggravating factor like poor or aggressive behaviour with it it's a different matter. Any driver who tried 'telling me straight' anything would soon find the humble door key is just as mighty as a desk key.

I do sort of long for the days I've recounted before though where troublemakers would be greeted by anyone from the BTP with the gloves firmly off, to a gang from the parcels or shunters wielding hand lamps and brake sticks or even when the guard could get away with smashing an aggressor over the head with their ticket machine to sort the problem out.

Unfortunately people who make a decisive choice to do something out of order now have rights to be protected. So if someone threatens me on my train unless I have literally nowhere else to go I have to resort to putting my hands up and run away. Rather than take my preferred option which would be to swing for them with my t key in my knuckles.

As for assisting the guard with a fare evader please don't unless it's turning physical. Despite what I said earlier in my post which is really wishful thinking we are trained to deal with these situations. I once had an arse shouting and swearing the toss at me over delays which I had perfectly well under control. It turned into a near punch up with my physically separating the parties when someone else tried to come to my defence with the same level of vitriol. I'd have been much better left to my own devices.

gray1404

Established Member
I agree, and I think most of us operate such a policy, although you always get one or two that can't let go of a fare.

I think it's the 'told [him] straight' that gets my back up here, which might be your wording rather than your friend's but while I absolutely adhere to a policy of not delaying the train unless there's a risk to safety involved as I said above, I'm also the one in the train with these passengers and wouldn't appreciate being ordered to do anything by my driver.

Like I said, I think it's the wording, because if I was having a bad day and one of the many lovely drivers I work with just said something like 'ah, let it go, we'll be home with a brew while he's still hiding in toilets' when I was venting to him, I'd be fine with that. I guess it's because for me personally, if I've taken the decision that I need police assistance, it's for a good reason - only ever had to call them once - and someone telling me 'straight' that I'm wrong wouldn't go down well at all. My driver and I are a team, and just as I don't question his decisions, he doesn't question mine - we have each others' backs. If you have one of the rare guards who can't apply discretion over when and when not to call police then I guess it's different but either way it goes to show how language can make a situation worse!

My wording is very accurate. My friend is very straight talking and to the point so said he told the guard in no uncertain terms.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
As for assisting the guard with a fare evader please don't unless it's turning physical. . . . .
I certainly would not (though I did once have a very quiet word in the ear of one guard who was dealing with a ticketless traveller to let them know that the Avantix strapped behind their back was in full flashing-bright-red-light-warning mode - he has been very welcoming to me ever since).

But what I have done quite regularly is give a few words of support, long after the matter has been concluded, knowing that some people recover from conflict immediately, but that others can experience a lingering sense of isolation or vulnerability. A bit of support does no harm even if offered to those who don't need it.

Passengers can and do make complaints which exaggerate the aggressiveness of any interation, and in case that develops into an inquiry into the conduct of the guard or inspector, it would do no harm to offer them a piece of paper with your contact details after the event, just in case they ever need a report from an independent witness.

But in all of these scenarios, its advisable to wait until the incident has been resolved and have the discussion well out of earshot of the ticketless traveller.

Flamingo

Established Member
I certainly would not (though I did once have a very quiet word in the ear of one guard who was dealing with a ticketless traveller to let them know that the Avantix strapped behind their back was in full flashing-bright-red-light-warning mode - he has been very welcoming to me ever since).

But what I have done quite regularly is give a few words of support, long after the matter has been concluded, knowing that some people recover from conflict immediately, but that others can experience a lingering sense of isolation or vulnerability. A bit of support does no harm even if offered to those who don't need it.

Passengers can and do make complaints which exaggerate the aggressiveness of any interation, and in case that develops into an inquiry into the conduct of the guard or inspector, it would do no harm to offer them a piece of paper with your contact details after the event, just in case they ever need a report from an independent witness.

But in all of these scenarios, its advisable to wait until the incident has been resolved and have the discussion well out of earshot of the ticketless traveller.
As ever, excelent advice. I can think of several occasions when a complaint from somebody was thrown out because a witness who gave me their details was prepared to give an independent account of the incident, which put a different spin entirely on the story of the agreeved passenger. It is always reassuring to know that if a "Please Explain" hits, that there is somebody else to give an account, as certain managers do take a "no smoke without fire" approach to passenger complaints.

Also, i know that most guards (like most people) will appreciate a friendly face and friendly word after a confrontation. I certainly do!

timbo58

Have to agree.
It only happened a few times in my years at ICGW but it was always welcome when a 'regular' slipped me a business card or wrote a number down in my defence.

TBH I probably only had a dozen complaints in many more years but I was always personally aggrieved a passenger would lie simply to excuse their own actions and feel better about it.

tsr

Established Member
I've only very rarely had a passenger hand me their contact details, but I've known a number of people to be very supportive after I have had to evict somebody who has not made the required contributions to the railway. It's always nice to know that enforcement is appreciated. I work for a TOC with certain routes where "everybody knows each other" and sometimes disruptive passengers definitely get the impression very quickly that they are not welcome, even without anybody actually saying anything.

I even had one regular passenger who was very quick to give me some very positive feedback after I held a train to chuck off some faredodgers who had been winding him up, but then become terribly embarrassed when he realised he'd forgotten his own ticket on his desk at work when I next saw him... that was a case of a very firm note written on the TIR (which given the circumstances of his journey, I had to issue): "DO NOT request payment or prosecute if passenger can prove they had a ticket!"

LowLevel

Established Member

Absolutely spot on on all counts. That's generally the ideal and yes a friendly face is helpful - sometimes someone can get under your skin even if you're the most hardened of folk.

crehld

Established Member
I think most passengers (myself included) are grateful to see revenue protection enforced. If anything I don't see it anywhere near enough. I've invested in the service on the basis that everyone else should too and its unfair my investment has to subsidize those who can't be bothered.

I would never get involved in a dispute or argument between a guard and passenger- it's simply not my or any other passenger's place to. But as with others I'll offer a "well done" or "good on ya" once the situation has diffused and the warring parties are our of earshot (And incidentally this includes giving advice to passengers who find themselves who find themselves being unnecessary chastised or charged extra despite travelling on valid tickets -yes it happens!) I do, however, occasionally give a nod in the direction of a passenger who needs their ticket checking, especially if said passenger boards at x but stays silent when the guard asks for "tickets from x".

Bellbell

My wording is very accurate. My friend is very straight talking and to the point so said he told the guard in no uncertain terms.

The vast majority of guards I know only request police assistance with good reason so from that your friend sounds a bit of a plonker, to put it politely.

Antman

Established Member
The vast majority of guards I know only request police assistance with good reason so from that your friend sounds a bit of a plonker, to put it politely.

I'm sure that's true but hardly justifies calling anybody a plonker. I witnessed an incident myself where a guard needlessly called the police indeed I later gave BTP a witness statement about the alleged incident.

gray1404

Established Member
I've only very rarely had a passenger hand me their contact details, but I've known a number of people to be very supportive after I have had to evict somebody who has not made the required contributions to the railway. It's always nice to know that enforcement is appreciated. I work for a TOC with certain routes where "everybody knows each other" and sometimes disruptive passengers definitely get the impression very quickly that they are not welcome, even without anybody actually saying anything.

I even had one regular passenger who was very quick to give me some very positive feedback after I held a train to chuck off some faredodgers who had been winding him up, but then become terribly embarrassed when he realised he'd forgotten his own ticket on his desk at work when I next saw him... that was a case of a very firm note written on the TIR (which given the circumstances of his journey, I had to issue): "DO NOT request payment or prosecute if passenger can prove they had a ticket!"

Your comments though could have simply been ignored. Why not just sell the customer another ticket and let him off. :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

My friend is anything but a plonker for a record.

Stigy

Established Member
... that was a case of a very firm note written on the TIR (which given the circumstances of his journey, I had to issue): "DO NOT request payment or prosecute if passenger can prove they had a ticket!"
Forgive my ignorance here, but what was the point in submitting a TIR if you put a note like that on it? Surely this contradicts the TIR's point? Why not just let him off and give him permission to travel on this occasion if he's such a good customer? Don't think I have the wrong end of the stick here, but apologies if I do.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
This thread makes me think of an incident about a week ago where I helped a VTWC TM, I work on the Platforms and he pointed out 2 fare dodgers who just got off his train in the Platform and gave me UFN's which he had written out for each of them but wasn't able to verify their details so had to void them. These 2 particular people did not have any means to pay their Coventry to Watford fare and wanted to just jump on a local London Overground train without buying a ticket again.

Fortunately there were local Police in the Station and with the help of an officer their details were taken and verified, compared to what they gave the TM on the Train on the UFN and both had given partly fake details at the time. Though the local Police couldn't do any more about the Fare evasion I passed their true details to VTWC prosecution department and they are at least on "the system" now, also I think it scared the 2 fare evaders having their details taken and checked so it just goes to show all hope isn't always lost!

Bellbell

I'm sure that's true but hardly justifies calling anybody a plonker. I witnessed an incident myself where a guard needlessly called the police indeed I later gave BTP a witness statement about the alleged incident.

Really, you think plonker is that strong? If someone undermined me 'in no uncertain terms' I'd call them something a lot worse to their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.