• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

History teaches us nothing`s new, even annoying music on public transport..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

Personally I find the playing of loud personal stereos on trains to be bleedin` annoying (though my wife hates it even more), but I`ve just been reading an article in Railway Magazine reporting on Noise Abatement legislation on the trains.
It`s background to an article about the increase in complaints over fellow passengers playing annoying music using transistor radios on the trains (something I can well and truely empathise with).
Apparently it`s against the Railway bye-laws which "forbid the playing of portable radios (or musical instruments) to the annoyance of passengers".

The article is dated May 1963.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Meh, if I like the song, then I don't mind.

That's just it though, it never is, it's always some originally good song put on at the wrong speed with the pitch turned up; or some guy playing rap/R&B which, let's be honest, is complete and utter garbage.

However I have retaliated before, I was on a bus in Preston and some guy was playing this awful dance beat, so I put Van Halen on full volume <D

bluenoxid

Established Member
The problem is that you rarely hear the full song anyway, just the extremities of the song, so it makes it even worse.

Not only can the railway byelaws be used, there are also a few other little stories that can be used (PRS, PPL)

That's just it though, it never is, it's always some originally good song put on at the wrong speed with the pitch turned up; or some guy playing rap/R&B which, let's be honest, is complete and utter garbage.

However I have retaliated before, I was on a bus in Preston and some guy was playing this awful dance beat, so I put Van Halen on full volume <D

I dont think we should be debating music really its the principle of playing it, what type of music it is irrelevant, the fact is if people want to listen to music thats what ipods and personal radios where made for, even if i was into Van halen which i aint i wouldnt want it blasting out on a train

Justin Smith

I dont think we should be debating music really its the principle of playing it, what type of music it is irrelevant, the fact is if people want to listen to music thats what ipods and personal radios where made for, even if i was into Van halen which i aint i wouldnt want it blasting out on a train

I don`t mind personal stereos, provided they really are personal.
The problem is that usually they aren`t personal at all. You can hear that tinny "tush tush tush" and it`s very annoying. I was on a train the other day and I could hear a "personal" stereo that this lad was using from 4 rows away......
What`s even worse, not only do I have to put up with the annoying tinny noise, but as a tax payer I`ll be paying for their hearing aids in 20 years time !

I think it should be illegal to play music out loud on any public transport, on the school bus there is always some chav poisoning the air with really bad rap music, and when he gets told to turn it off he refuses and says that his headphones are broken (which is a lie because I know he has about 100 of them), and then they tell him to get new ones, he then refuses to do that but nobody actually throws him off the bus so he thinks he can get away with it, and the most annoying this is, he always sits as close to me as possible, then tells me to f**k off when I tell him to turn it down (or better yet off) even though I got on before him, it was so annoying that I stopped getting on the school bus

eos

Travelling yesterday on a crowded Voyager ( when are they never!) a group of about 7 ring tone idiots were spread over 3 bays of table seats , taking it in turn to ring each others mobiles. The first note was used as a triger for all seven of them to blast out very loud singing along with the ring tone. Seemed to be some sort of mating ritual, the first to burst into wailing was considered to have the best chance of impressing the female- except it wasn't impressing anyone in coach B one little bit..

Established Member
yeah theres nothing worse that a chav playing "music" (if you can even call it that) full blast out of their phones, do headphones still exist do did we stop making them when Sony erickson joined forces with walkman
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Travelling yesterday on a crowded Voyager ( when are they never!) a group of about 7 ring tone idiots were spread over 3 bays of table seats , taking it in turn to ring each others mobiles. The first note was used as a triger for all seven of them to blast out very loud singing along with the ring tone. Seemed to be some sort of mating ritual

:lol:, I know what you mean, you should record the sound of a voyager then bluetooth it to them, hope it auto plays and then tadaa their phones blend in :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I often say that we shouldn't do things that would affect everyone that only should affect a minority of troublemakers, but I can't see why mobile phones have a need for the feature that plays music out loud.

I've often toyed with an idea of making a device that sends out an electromagnetic pulse to stop such devices from working but haven't been able to think of how it would operate without destroying electronic devices such as iPods and mobile phones of other individuals sat nearby.

Old Timer

Established Member
Some years back.

Travelling with colleague who looks a "mean type".

Opposite is Chav type playing noisy music through headphones.

Here is how the exchange of views went.

Colleague "Oi ! Do you mind turning THAT down"

Chav "**** Off"

"Colleague "Did no-one ever tell you to make sure who you are talking to before replying ?"

Chav "Eh ?, What ?"

"Colleague "Did no-one ever tell you to make sure who you are talking to before replying ?"

Chav "What the **** you on about, mate"

Colleague "Tell me does anything about me not send a message ?"

Chav "What the **** you on about !?"

Colleague "Tell me, can you see a sort of while palor about the skin ? Do I look a bit pale ?"

Chav "Yeah...SO !"

Colleague "Ever heard of Prison Pallor ?"

Chav "What the **** you on about !?"

Colleague "Prison Pallor. Its what you get when you are in Prison, you know, Solitary Confinement. You see I have just done 5 years for Grievious Bodily Harm. I have only just got out"

Chav "And"

Colleague "**** me you are slow aren't you. I did 5 years because I broke a guy's legs and arms. You know why ?"

Chav ...Not sure what to say at this stage

Colleague "I did him because he was playing music JUST LIKE YOU, and he ****ed me off JUST like you are about to. Now You going to turn that racket off ?"

Chav "Yeah, OK mate, i'll go and sit somewhere else"

Colleague "You do that friend, maybe I will be getting off at the same station ?"

Queue slightly hurried exit of one Chav.

Passenger "Is any of that true"

Old Timer "No this buggers a big softie. Nearest he's been to Prison is watching it on TV"

Queue laughs from surrounding punters !

Status
Not open for further replies.