• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Many People Use Your Local Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

class156

1,037,814 poeple used my local station, Irvine between 2008-2009

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
1,179,346 Entries and Exits for my local.

19,635,814 Entries and Exits for the station I work at.

Fincra5

Established Member
According to Wikipedia... London Road (brighton) 2008/2009 0.473million.

Ivo

Established Member
Depends on the definition of "local". I will give several answers to this, using my addresses as of 31st July (I currently have no official home in Bath).

Nearest geographically, Southend: THORPE BAY, 743,698
Most used, Southend: THORPE BAY, 743,698
Most convenient for access to rest of network, Southend: SOUTHEND VICTORIA, 3,959,807

Nearest geographically, Bath: OLDFIELD PARK, 220,228
Most used, Bath: BATH SPA 5,306,086
Most convenient for access to rest of network, Bath: BATH SPA, 5,306,086

imagination

1,208,757 entries and exits for Twyford.
2,278,872 for Aberdeen.

(figure for 06/07)

Last edited:
as with Ivo I have more than one convenient station most are a similar distance away from where I live.

Milton Keynes Central (most convenient for long distance trains): 4.646 million

Wolverton (closest geographically): 0.298 million

Northampton (useful for going to brum brum): 2.245 million

Bedford (quite rare but I use it occasionally for MML): 3.219 million

(source: Wikipedia)

me123

Established Member
Quite shocking how quite Cumbernauld is!

No wonder Cumbernauld's quiet, though! It's not very convenient for Cumbernauld itself, it has a slower service than Croy into Glasgow (27mins CUB, 16-23mins CRO) and it's only got 2tph compared to Croy's 4tph.

Of course, Croy also has the frequent Edinburgh, Stirling and Falkirk trains (all very frequently) whereas Cumbernauld has a mere hourly train to Grahamston (and a really quiet train to Motherwell as well).

My locals are:
BLAIRHILL: 0.680 million
KIRKWOOD: 0.159 million (with passenger numbers rising spectacularly over the years).
COATBRIDGE CENTRAL: 60,818 (although, again, numbers have risen exponentially in recent years)

I'm surprised at how high CBC is; its Glasgow service is frankly useless and its Motherwell-Cumbernauld train is usually very quiet (particularly when the bus between Coatbridge and Motherwell is much more frequent).

rail-britain

Established Member
No wonder Cumbernauld's quiet, though! It's not very convenient for Cumbernauld itself, it has a slower service than Croy into Glasgow (27mins CUB, 16-23mins CRO) and it's only got 2tph compared to Croy's 4tph
Cumbernauld is closer to me, I only use Croy when travelling to Stirling or Edinburgh

Equally, the Glasgow fares are higher from Cumbernauld
However, the trick there is to use Greenfaulds instead!

Parking at Croy can often be a nightmare, Cumbernauld isn't normally an issue, and Greenfaulds is well, pick a space, any space you want!

chris89

Established Member
Two for me, depending on where i go.

Kidderminster: 1,227,492 Which isn't bad for a small station but guess the SVR helps those figures

Wolverhampton: 4,221,010

Chris

pemma

Veteran Member
My local station, Knutsford, states 0.32 million for 2008/2009.

However, from knowing what passenger counts have recorded from the station for Mon-Sat figures I would say that is a gross underestimate even though it is a fairly high figure for a station with only one train per hour in each direction.

Any Permitted

Home:
Great Yarmouth Vauxhall:
0.48m

Great Yarmouth South Town

Great Yarmouth Beach

Gorleston North

Uni:
West Drayton:
1.39m

Uxbridge High Street

Cowley

Uxbridge (LUL):
6.49m

Last edited:

Bighat

Any figures quoted are totally meaningless UNLESS the poster also stated for what period of time the number of passengers using it relates.

Any Permitted

Any figures quoted are totally meaningless UNLESS the poster also stated for what period of time the number of passengers using it relates.

I would imagine it'd be the most recent, I used Wikipedia to find mine, I'm guessing others did too.

Also, what meaning would be derived from them anyway? It's quite an interesting thread but there's not much meaning to it.

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
3.982m - Winchester

I would imagine it'd be the most recent, I used Wikipedia to find mine, I'm guessing others did too.

Also, what meaning would be derived from them anyway? It's quite an interesting thread but there's not much meaning to it.

To compare with next year ofcourse :)

Ashurst New Forest - 88,712.

I realy must stop visiting the very nice pub there :)

starrymarkb

Established Member
St James Park is my nearest - 44000 for 08/09

Exeter Central is not much further (I live halfway between the two) at 1.5million

me123

Established Member
Parking at Croy can often be a nightmare, Cumbernauld isn't normally an issue, and Greenfaulds is well, pick a space, any space you want!

Parking at Croy is a nightmare. I know plenty of people in my area put off using the train from Croy because of the parking issues (although Airdrie-Bathgate will certainly help the situation for everyone to some extent). The station serves a huge area of "park and ride" commuters for all its destinations.

I would actually argue that Blairhill looks likely to follow in Croy's footsteps when Airdrie-Bathgate reopens. The parking is a nightmare as it is (I think we have a colossal 16 space car park, but no one actually uses it) and the crazy parking just makes Blair Road and the surrounding side streets a danger spot (although, in all fairness, it's not just the rail station that's the problem)

I digress...

Status
Not open for further replies.