• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huge problems today in the Alexander Palace area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm amazed that nobody has picked up on the huge delays that the ecml has suffered throughout the day, because of a failed Eurostar at Ally Pally. Trains were blocked in London for several hours while the train was removed. All southbound trains had to terminate at Stevenage.

Subsequently, many trains have failed to gain back lost time, and virtually all GNER services were still running about 30-45 minutes late at 15:00.

The Highland Chieftan for example was delayed by about 40 minutes (which allowed me to get a good pic of it passing Manors ;) )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
laverack222 said:
The Highland Chieftan for example was delayed by about 40 minutes

That would have caused us a few problems at Kingussie, eh yorkie? ;) :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, if we'd planned to get that taxi!

Oh and was Jordy trying out GNER WiFi? as he came online at (IIRC) about 12:00? He didn't respond though!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I did have a look at the LDBs, and noticed some delays. It was Hertford Loop today (as usual til the end of 2005) as well, so if it failed at Al Pal station (or north of), then the line would have been totally blocked.

It would be not so bad if it failed south of Al Pal, as there's 3 lines (Up goods/slow/fast)!

Perhaps we should simulate this in SimSig some time? <D

Jordy

Established Member
yorkie said:
Oh and was Jordy trying out GNER WiFi? as he came online at (IIRC) about 12:00? He didn't respond though!

Erm, no, I don't have a laptop :?

Jordy

tramboy

Ahha.

That would be why i was stood at Doncaster for an hour then. And GNER trains were backing up like nobodies business.

Namely...i missed my train, by sleeping in till it was suppsoed to arrive at Newark, got charged an exorbitant price for a new single, got on an 8car Voyager which went via Leeds and Wakefield from York->Donny...a long way round!?

Then they canned the 1147 which stopped at Newark, and the 1157 stopped at both Retford, Newark and Grantham. Something that would normally never happen!

Let's hope nothing fails before I go back at 1651.

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tramboy said:
Namely...i missed my train, by sleeping in till it was suppsoed to arrive at Newark, got charged an exorbitant price for a new single, got on an 8car Voyager which went via Leeds and Wakefield from York->Donny...a long way round!?
Firstly, you should have got a YP CDS Newcastle-York, York-Newark. Total cost for returns would be about £24, and singles not much less. I hope you didn't pay more than that!

Secondly, yes it is a long way round, Virgin were doing that yesterday, when this occurs it's usually cheaper to wait for a GNER between York and Doncaster.

tramboy

On topic...according to a GNER member of staff, the 373 failed with someone pulling the emergency cord at Ally Pally. The train stopped (as they tend to do when you do that) and then they found no way of resetting the brake app...until a Eurostar engineering team arrived.

Off topic...yes, i did pay £31 for a single to Newark. I did think about combo singles, but the guy at Durham booking office is not the most cheerful of people, and also very slow...(well one of them at least)...so i just got the ticket and hurried to get the train that was standing there. Won;t be doing that again in a hurry!

Also off topic...excellent GNER service for cyclists...helped on with it at Newark, and a staff member had already opened the door at Durham when i got off the coach next to it (ie M). I can now cycle across the Moors!

Regards

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hmm... maybe one day I'm in Durham I'll ask for some complicated ticket combination, just to keep him on his toes.

TBH, you'd probably have been better off taking your time & waiting for the next GNER and not going the incredibly long way round via Leeds, but hindsight is a great thing I suppose!

Good to hear about the great service with the bike! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.