• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains 802: Construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Overcrowding and catering issues are better than cancelled services due to a terribly unreliable fleet, I'd say?

Also, they're more environmentally friendly, which isn't really part of the passenger experience but is very important.
Those are pros, but considering that their counterparts with operators aren't having as many issues, it makes it look worse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kurolus Rex

Overcrowding and catering issues are better than cancelled services due to a terribly unreliable fleet, I'd say?

Also, they're more environmentally friendly, which isn't really part of the passenger experience but is very important.

I would have to agree. Aside from the removal of the buffet, most issues mentioned appear to be teething problems. The trains have only just been brought into service, i think people are jumping the gun again by expecting these issues to continue.

As you say, they're certainly more environmentally friendly, only running on diesel between Doncaster and Hull. With the 180s being pure DMUs they had to run on diesel all the way.

NewSt

Oh, yes! I'd completely agree, what I meant was comfort for passengers hasn't really improved, but overall these are a huge improvement on the 180s.

yrreb

To the average paying passenger who wants to get from Hull to London in comfort, a train is a train - From what I've seen the 180s are decent from the perspective of a passenger (granted that it hasn't burned to a crisp by the time it's pulled into the station to take them forward) but I reckon that most people will just see that the new trains don't have a buffet which is an obvious disadvantage. Time will tell when all three diagrams are 802s alone and no mix of fleet!

westv

Established Member
Same hard standard class seats in the Paragons as there are in the Azumas?

tynesider

I’m about 99% certain I’ve just passed a Hull Trains 802 near Amstetten in deepest Germany - No photographic evidence unfortunately as I wasn’t expecting it!

I’m guessing this is set working from Dollands Moor on 1st January, upthread.

Certainly not a usual sight around here!

humbersidejim

To the average paying passenger who wants to get from Hull to London in comfort, a train is a train - From what I've seen the 180s are decent from the perspective of a passenger (granted that it hasn't burned to a crisp by the time it's pulled into the station to take them forward) but I reckon that most people will just see that the new trains don't have a buffet which is an obvious disadvantage. Time will tell when all three diagrams are 802s alone and no mix of fleet!

I'd be interested to see some research/data into the use and passenger opinions of buffets Vs trolleys. Personally I loved a trip to the Retreat Cafe Bar, and will miss it, but I wonder if the average punter is so bothered, as long as a nice attendant passes through to offer them tea, tinnies or a dry white wine every so often?

I guess what I'm questioning is whether the loss of the buffet is something rail enthusiasts tend to hold more dearly than regular passengers?

Kurolus Rex

I'd be interested to see some research/data into the use and passenger opinions of buffets Vs trolleys. Personally I loved a trip to the Retreat Cafe Bar, and will miss it, but I wonder if the average punter is so bothered, as long as a nice attendant passes through to offer them tea, tinnies or a dry white wine every so often?

I guess what I'm questioning is whether the loss of the buffet is something rail enthusiasts tend to hold more dearly than regular passengers?

I've always wondered the same. Having never been on an intercity train before, how much is the buffet used by your average passenger? What is the appeal of a buffet vs buying something before boarding at a likely cheaper price?

D365

Veteran Member
I’m about 99% certain I’ve just passed a Hull Trains 802 near Amstetten in deepest Germany - No photographic evidence unfortunately as I wasn’t expecting it!

I’m guessing this is set working from Dollands Moor on 1st January, upthread.

Certainly not a usual sight around here!

I bookmarked a photo of a GWR Class 802 in Heimeranplatz, Munich that was uploaded to this forum a while back. I believe they're being delivered by rail from Hitachi in Italy.

hotel_mode

I’ve just passed what looked like a Hull Trains 802 near Neunkirchen on a secondary route in the Saarland (far west Germany). Sorry for crap photo.

Attachments

• 6908000E-764B-4E47-AB56-ED41C84C358D.jpeg
    6908000E-764B-4E47-AB56-ED41C84C358D.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 212

Kurolus Rex

Was it 5Q90 from Heaton to KGX?

Not sure, wasn't on OTT at the time. Train was southbound.

Here's the pic, was on my phone at the time so had to screenshot it.

https://imgur.com/a/FVvuaPn
FVvuaPn

3973EXL

Established Member
6X80 Dollands Moor - Eastleigh running this morning.
66749 802304?
No numbers on coaches. Maybe on window labels.

Last edited:
I've always wondered the same. Having never been on an intercity train before, how much is the buffet used by your average passenger? What is the appeal of a buffet vs buying something before boarding at a likely cheaper price?
Some people on this forum are obsessed with buffets. The average passenger is far more worried about getting up from their seat and leaving their luggage / laptop / phone behind to be nicked.
Trolley services may have their disadvantages, but I'd imagine the general public prefers them (or doesn't even realise buffets still exist)

TrainTube

Some people on this forum are obsessed with buffets. The average passenger is far more worried about getting up from their seat and leaving their luggage / laptop / phone behind to be nicked.
Trolley services may have their disadvantages, but I'd imagine the general public prefers them (or doesn't even realise buffets still exist)
Completely agree, people have to remember the needs of the average passenger as well as enthusiasts. The same argument goes for seats, more people care about having a seat at all rather than how luxurious the seats are.

westv

Established Member
Completely agree, people have to remember the needs of the average passenger as well as enthusiasts. The same argument goes for seats, more people care about having a seat at all rather than how luxurious the seats are.
I'd rather think that people want a seat that's comfortable rather than just any old seat. It's been some time since wooden seats were all the rage.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Still useful though - partly for this reason I used to sit in the buffet vehicle on LNER so I could still keep an eye on my stuff while queuing to buy hot food (also because that was an unreserved seating area)

TrainTube

I'd rather think that people want a seat that's comfortable rather than just any old seat. It's been some time since wooden seats were all the rage.
The 800 seats are very comfortable, as if not more comfortable than the mk4 seats with LNER.

Status
Not open for further replies.