• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains 802: Construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Let's hope that they stay with the company longer than the "Pioneers" did!

Worth noting that the same article also invites naming suggestions for the individual units:
Hopefully they don't take the GWR route of naming each unit with two names, one at each end! :)
In all honesty, though, even though I know nothing about Hull, "Hull - City of xxxxx" is almost guaranteed to come up - may City of Culture?

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hopefully they don't take the GWR route of naming each unit with two names, one at each end! :)
In all honesty, though, even though I know nothing about Hull, "Hull - City of xxxxx" is almost guaranteed to come up - may City of Culture?

-Peter
Hull - City of Culture 2017? That would be a bit too late?

tpjm

As long as it’s not famous people from Hull, that nobody outside of Hull has ever heard of, I’ll be happy.

rdlover777

I'm from Hull and I've never heard of those people.

William de la Pole was the first mayor of Kingston Upon Hull (aka Hull).
Katie O'Brien is a Tennis Player from Beverley and was briefly the British No. 1 tennis player.
William Binnington Boyce was a philologist and clergyman from Beverley.
Lucy Beaumont is a comedian from Hull.
Sir Ian Carmichael OBE was an actor from Hull

ash39

Established Member
William de la Pole was the first mayor of Kingston Upon Hull (aka Hull).
Katie O'Brien is a Tennis Player from Beverley and was briefly the British No. 1 tennis player.
William Binnington Boyce was a philologist and clergyman from Beverley.
Lucy Beaumont is a comedian from Hull.
Sir Ian Carmichael OBE was an actor from Hull

Too obscure. Won't engage people. Also there's enough focus on Hull (the company is called 'Hull trains') - they also serve other destinations and these should be acknowledged if possible.

What about 'Brough Rider' ?

tpjm

RONNIE PICKERING. That is genuinely what they should call one. Excellent suggestion.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I feel like "Philip Larkin" is an obvious choice though that might just be due to my association with the Uni and the many hours spent in the library he used to be librarian of (I hasten to add that I was there long after he had died!).

Phlip

Let's hope that they stay with the company longer than the "Pioneers" did!

Worth noting that the same article also invites naming suggestions for the individual units:

“Fruit Market” - The former fruit market now rage city’s cultural heart
“To Hull and Back” - The Only Fools and Horses Episode title
“King Billy” - An icon in the city
“London 0 Hull 4” - Title of The Housemartains debut album
“Sid Scarborough‘s” - Where everyone bought London 0 Hull 4
“Clockwise” - Filmed by John Cleese at Hull Paragon Station
“Pattie n Chips” - A delicacy associated with the city

Phlip

Oh yes that's definitely another good shout and would get my vote!

Where Hull Trains 222s not named William Wilberforce, Philip Larkin, Prof George Grey and something else?

Edit: Just checked - Philip Larkin and William Wilberforce we’re not 222 names

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where Hull Trains 222s not named William Wilberforce, Philip Larkin, Prof George Grey and something else?
If Wikipedia is to be believed they were: Professor George Grey, Professor Stuart Palmer, Dr John Godber and Sir Terry Farrell.

yrreb

Not to take a page out of VTEC's book but I think the fleet should have been called "Minato", Japanese for "Port" :|

-Peter

I visited Hull during the city of culture and had a great time. Hull has a great history and cultural heritage.

driver_m

Established Member
I’m definitely seconding Ronnie Pickering. That is a brilliant suggestion!

At the risk of annoying our ‘local celeb’ detractor, there surely has to be a RL player on there for such a Rugby Mad City. Sir Clive Sullivan perhaps. Admired on both sides and already has the main road named after him. (For those who don’t know he was a genuinely brilliant Rugby League player who came from South Wales, player for both sides in Hull , (imagine a Spurs & Arsenal or Southampton & Portsmouth player respected by both sides for comparison)

Staffordian

I feel like "Philip Larkin" is an obvious choice though that might just be due to my association with the Uni and the many hours spent in the library he used to be librarian of (I hasten to add that I was there long after he had died!).
Not to mention his poems about train journeys to/from Hull, in particular
"Here" :
Swerving east, from rich industrial shadows
And traffic all night north; swerving through fields
Too thin and thistle to be called meadows....

and "The Whitsun Weddings" :
That Whitsun , I was late getting away:
Not till about
One-twenty on the sunlit Saturday
Did my three-quarters-empty train pull out,
All windows down, all cushions hot, all sense
Of being in a hurry gone.....

They could even have poster displays with excerpts from the above to emphasise the link with Larkin.
Having said that, the two lines beginning "All windows down..." may not be quite the image that HT is trying to present !
There might also be difficulties in ensuring that "Philip Larkin" was always rostered onto the most appropriate departure, currently 1331 ex Hull.

High Dyke

Established Member
Having said that, the two lines beginning "All windows down..." may not be quite the image that HT is trying to present !
There might also be difficulties in ensuring that "Philip Larkin" was always rostered onto the most appropriate departure, currently 1331 ex Hull.
Perhaps not; however on a bad day for them perhaps the line: "all sense
Of being in a hurry gone..... "
may be appropriate?

ic31420

OFAH "To Hull And Back" is a goodun.

Lots of popular interest and lots of publicity options.

Status
Not open for further replies.