• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains HST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Yay - the set turned up and a good performance arriving only 2 late after leaving Grantham 6 late - caution signals leaving Doncaster due to another service not far ahead. And then extended station stops at Retford and Grantham due to loads of people wanting to board. The acceleration is very good and is what the 8/9 coach sets should have been blessed with. These really make the longer sets feel very slow!!

Railperf

Established Member
Wow..stunning performance by the HST...great call Hull Trains. Now how about leasing in a few more and replacing all the 180s!!
180110 must now be down to 3 engines...really struggling performance wise grrrr!

DannyMich2018

I'd love to hear about the performance of the 5-car HST northbound from Grantham station call, falling gradient all the way to Newark so would be very lively!! Be interesting to know the speed achieved before Peascliffe Tunnel. Anyone give me any logs/info please?
Thanks

Railperf

Established Member
I'd love to hear about the performance of the 5-car HST northbound from Grantham station call, falling gradient all the way to Newark so would be very lively!! Be interesting to know the speed achieved before Peascliffe Tunnel. Anyone give me any logs/info please?
Thanks
It was very lively and better than 180110 on 4 engines the same day. I will post some details later. From what i remember now - 100mph in 3 mins and 125mph in 4.5mins.

alistairlees

Established Member
For those interested, 43020 and 43023 on the 11.48 Kings Cross - Hull today. I believe the inbound 180 failed (we just passed a dead one at Doncaster in the northbound "Leeds Bays"). The GWR first class with leather is a pleasure (and much better than the high density standard class of course).

Railperf

Established Member
Thanks
Do you have any speed and time info to compare the HST to? Southbound from Grantham is also interesting because there is a short level stretch followed by a steepish 1 in 200 climb to Stoke tunnel. A Class 90 with reasonable traction is faster to the tunnel mouth than an EMT 2+8 HST - but surprisingly not the shorter Hull Trains leased 2+5 set.

Railperf

Established Member
For those interested, 43020 and 43023 on the 11.48 Kings Cross - Hull today. I believe the inbound 180 failed (we just passed a dead one at Doncaster in the northbound "Leeds Bays"). The GWR first class with leather is a pleasure (and much better than the high density standard class of course).
it wouldn't surprise me if 180110 failed. yesterday it was on 4 vice 5 engines on the 07:27 from Kings Cross. Apparently they restarted the 5th engine at Hull for the return journey, but the performance was very sluggish - and I am led to understand there were issues with traction power despite all 5 engines supposedly still running! It really struggled up to Stoke Tunnel from Grantham, and took a long time to reach anywhere near 125mph down Stoke Bank towards Peterborough.

What a ridiculous decision it was to let the 222's go and bring on board the 180's!

The 802's cannot come soon enough. Despite the HST having been leased and taking on one diagram, leaving more time to maintain and repair the 180's, they still seem to be having major issues. What is wrong??

alistairlees

Established Member
Was always supposed to be on that diagram
Well I was told at kings cross that the inbound 180 had failed. And all the reservations were set out for 180. And the train manager apologised for the change to an HST. And the the Hull Trains staff in the declassified 1st were discussing the failure of and issues with the the 180 (I wasn’t listening to the details but the gist of it was that it was down to three engines). Apart from that, maybe it was always supposed to be an HST.

Railperf

Established Member
Well I was told at kings cross that the inbound 180 had failed. And all the reservations were set out for 180. And the train manager apologised for the change to an HST. And the the Hull Trains staff in the declassified 1st were discussing the failure of and issues with the the 180 (I wasn’t listening to the details but the gist of it was that it was down to three engines). Apart from that, maybe it was always supposed to be an HST.
Yes..it was posted above that the 11.48 would be a HST. The failed 180 would have been allocated to another diagram.
How many serviceable 180s do Hull Trains have?
Any chance of HT leasing a 3rd HST? Lol

DannyMich2018

It was very lively and better than 180110 on 4 engines the same day. I will post some details later. From what i remember now - 100mph in 3 mins and 125mph in 4.5mins.
Thanks, that's awesome, used to live in Grantham, some years ago and often used Hull Trains services (when they were operated by Class 170/222)

Railperf

Established Member
Thanks
Peascliffe Tunnel was entered in 2 mins 39 from Grantham at 94mph, and Milepost 111 at 125mph in 4 min 24 secs. For comparison, my Class 180 run earlier in the day on only 4 engines was 1 second slower to Peascliffe at only 87mph entry speed, but 8 seconds slower to Milepost 111 at only 117mph.
The fastest run i have any data for was a 222 which reached Peascliffe in 2 min 17 secs at 95mph - no data on the Milepost 111 time or speeds.
The fastest starts have been 222's and the Class 91/43 combination - they could shift. Grantham start to Milepost 111 in 4 mins 1 sec at 125mph for the Class 91 and a mark 3 set with a Class 43 HST power car also providing traction power - 8,000hp at the rail!!!

It is worth noting the Hull Trains HST driver only accelerated away in what seemed to be notch 3 for over 50 seconds before giving it the full beans..so a faster start would have been possible -especially as it was dry and sunny.

DannyMich2018

Peascliffe Tunnel was entered in 2 mins 39 from Grantham at 94mph, and Milepost 111 at 125mph in 4 min 24 secs. For comparison, my Class 180 run earlier in the day on only 4 engines was 1 second slower to Peascliffe at only 87mph entry speed, but 8 seconds slower to Milepost 111 at only 117mph.
The fastest run i have any data for was a 222 which reached Peascliffe in 2 min 17 secs at 95mph - no data on the Milepost 111 time or speeds.
The fastest starts have been 222's and the Class 91/43 combination - they could shift. Grantham start to Milepost 111 in 4 mins 1 sec at 125mph for the Class 91 and a mark 3 set with a Class 43 HST power car also providing traction power - 8,000hp at the rail!!!

It is worth noting the Hull Trains HST driver only accelerated away in what seemed to be notch 3 for over 50 seconds before giving it the full beans..so a faster start would have been possible -especially as it was dry and sunny.
Thanks for this brilliant Info!! Since I don't live near the ECML it's hard to get runs and seeing what out with all the changes going on with HT and ECML new trains!! Thanks again, Danny

Railperf

Established Member
This weekend is planned for some fairly intensive use of the HST.

Friday - 1033/1348/1709/2030
Saturday - 0823/1148/1531/1948
Sunday - 0906/1248/1625/1952
Monday - 0823/1148/1512/1848

Usual disclaimers apply!
Which 180s are due out on the other diagrams? Have the traction faults on 110 been rectified?

Railperf

Established Member
110 has been repaired and is back out this afternoon. It goes into Crofton for exam on Thursday night so 109/111/113 are the others this weekend.
Thanks. Was 110 the unit that failed?

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
Are the HST's due to be painted in Hull Trains livery?
No, they’re only a temporary measure and the current livery (bar the one green TF) is the same. There has been some talk of branding them with the HT name and logo, if the sets on hire and vehicles within them are more guaranteed not to be swapped out, but I’m not sure if that’s the actual plan now.

nat67

Established Member
No, they’re only a temporary measure and the current livery (bar the one green TF) is the same. There has been some talk of branding them with the HT name and logo, if the sets on hire and vehicles within them are more guaranteed not to be swapped out, but I’m not sure if that’s the actual plan now.
Obviously they could be handed back to Angel at some point but I'm not sure when the hand back date is.

Status
Not open for further replies.