• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"I don't like it therefore...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

"...it should be scrapped."

It's a common feeling expressed by many on fora like this one, perhaps about different types of rolling stock, on-board service (first class, buffets) or routes. On another forum I read, people often come out with this argument about television or radio programmes they dislike, with EastEnders being a popular topic along with BBC Radio 3.

So I was wondering if you feel you are guilty of this somewhat irrational feeling that because you don't like something, it should simply just be axed or stopped? I also wonder how many government decisions (past or current, on any political side) have actually been the result of such feelings.

Any views or thoughts?

Mr Cub.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I feel somewhat justified in my wish for Eastenders to go.

Even the most exciting and popular entertainments eventually get stale and past their sell-by date, so why we expect this dreary stinker to defy the laws of entertainment gravity forever, I don't know.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hear hear on banishing Eastenders to the bin! Can't stand that nonsense, but then things like Holby City and Casualty (suffering the former currently, hence being on the forum!) also drive me up the wall!

Not sure about the thread topic, but if I have been like it I would say that would apply to the 442s, especially in 2005 after a far less than comfortable ride on some of them!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Everybody has things they don't like, or do not take an interest in, myself included (for example, how anyone can sit and watch Doctor Who or F1 is beyond me). However, I personally try to live by what Thomas Jefferson said - if it doesn't pick my pocket or break my leg then I don't mind. If something does begin to infringe on my wallet or my person then that is the time I will do something about it. Until that happens then it is none of my business.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Who had "2 posts" on the sweepstake? :D

Seriously, I think everyone is guilty of it, only differing in whether they blurt it out or not.

backontrack

Established Member
Not sure about the thread topic, but if I have been like it I would say that would apply to the 442s, especially in 2005 after a far less than comfortable ride on some of them!

Every time you say that, an enthusiast dies! :lol:

On a more serious note, I too would more-than-happily join the Scrap Eastenders parade. Soap opera itself is a bad thing, and Eastenders is the worst of it.

MrCub

For what it's worth, I'd ditch EastEnders too, even though I know that because it is cheap to make and sells well around the world, it effectively pays for many of the programmes I do like.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
if it doesn't pick my pocket or break my leg then I don't mind. If something does begin to infringe on my wallet or my person then that is the time I will do something about it. Until that happens then it is none of my business.

Although arguably Eastenders does soak up airtime and use up license fee money that could be better spent on more entertaining/worthwhile programming, so even by that logic, I still feel justified in wanting it to finish.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Although arguably Eastenders does soak up airtime and use up license fee money that could be better spent on more entertaining/worthwhile programming, so even by that logic, I still feel justified in wanting it to finish.

I see where you are coming from. Indeed, the whole BBC / TV Licensing malarkey one of the few things I would like to ban. That said however, what you would deem entertaining or worthwhile could be the polar opposite of what another fee-payer does, so what get scrapped and why, and what replaces it and why?

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I see where you are coming from. Indeed, the whole BBC / TV Licensing malarkey one of the few things I would like to ban. That said however, what you would deem entertaining or worthwhile could be the polar opposite of what another fee-payer does, so what get scrapped and why, and what replaces it and why?

I don't have a problem with the license fee per se (it's probably worth it for radio's 2 and 4 alone) and I see your point that license fee payers will have differing views of entertainment. But seriously - they've had three days a week for thirty odd years to 'enjoy' Eastenders. They should move over and give someone else a chance.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ExRes:2203901 said:
... (for example, how anyone can sit and watch Doctor Who or F1 is beyond me).

Thank you dear sir, I've been having therapy because I'd assumed I was the only one ..............

Building upon that, I'd like to add Game of Thrones to that list. I can't wait for that to be over and everyone at work to stop frothing over it so much!

Doctor Who I don't understand the fascination, but I know people who do and fair games to them.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If given a wish by the "genie of the Lamp", it would be for the BBC TV "flagship programme"...."Bargain Hunt".<(<(<(....to be cast into the everlasting flames of Hell.

Sits back, awaiting Clip to make a dramatic last minute plea for clemancy...:D

MrCub

So what is worse? Four nights a week of EastEnders thanks to the TV Licence (which I am in full support of), or scooting back to the 70s and 80s and four nights a week of commercial television's Crossroads?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So what is worse? Four nights a week of EastEnders thanks to the TV Licence (which I am in full support of), or scooting back to the 70s and 80s and four nights a week of commercial television's Crossroads?

Arguably Crossroads had a better theme tune.

But when it comes down to it, Crossroads had its time then went away, just like Eastenders should do.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
For me, it would probably be the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC), because I think it's a pathetic joke of a motorsport series where Citroen dominate and no-one else gets a look-in. The Citroen drivers get away with murder whilst the other drivers get penalised for tiny infractions. The field, for a world championship, is tiny, and the racing is worse than F1 has been this year. This is in stark contrast to the other three big touring car series (BTCC, DTM and V8SC) in the world, which whilst all being national series (Britain, Germany and Australia respectively), all have over 20 cars racing, great racing, and it's fun. The WTCC is a useless series which hurts the sport of touring cars more than it helps.

...and breathe. But seriously, screw WTCC. :lol:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If given a wish by the "genie of the Lamp", it would be for the BBC TV "flagship programme"...."Bargain Hunt".<(<(<(....to be cast into the everlasting flames of Hell.

Sits back, awaiting Clip to make a dramatic last minute plea for clemancy...:D

I know Bargain Hunt needs urgently scrapping but surely the worst show ever on BBC (and BBC are good at showing rubbish) is 'quiz' show Pointless, I want it scrapped, they're always a repeat, and repeats are shown on Challenge anyway. It's so annoying with the constant banter which is always identical (like many music and nation questions too), and introducing everyone twice.

Heinz57

Here we go...

The only way is Chelsea and Made in Essex (or whatever it is they're called). Along with Geordie shore, Jersey shore, The Kardashian tripe and all the other so called reality TV programs. They are just a pathetic excuse for television programs which are clogging up the time slots that could be used for quality programing.

Gogglebox. I'm sorry this is just terrible. If I wanted to watch people sitting watching telly then I'd set a video camera up in my own lounge.

People who watch the above. 'Nuff said!

I could go on but we would be here all night.

backontrack

Established Member
Here we go...

The only way is Chelsea and Made in Essex (or whatever it is they're called). Along with Geordie shore, Jersey shore, The Kardashian tripe and all the other so called reality TV programs. They are just a pathetic excuse for television programs which are clogging up the time slots that could be used for quality programing.

Gogglebox. I'm sorry this is just terrible. If I wanted to watch people sitting watching telly then I'd set a video camera up in my own lounge.

People who watch the above. 'Nuff said!

I could go on but we would be here all night.

Very well said. :D

We do we have to put up with all this stuff? Reality TV, soaps, it's all rubbish.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
I know Bargain Hunt needs urgently scrapping but surely the worst show ever on BBC (and BBC are good at showing rubbish) is 'quiz' show Pointless, I want it scrapped, they're always a repeat, and repeats are shown on Challenge anyway. It's so annoying with the constant banter which is always identical (like many music and nation questions too), and introducing everyone twice.

I can't see Pointless ever being cancelled, unless the moron Osman leaves of course

As we all know, the world cannot exist without constant reference to football and boy, does Osman go on about football, we used to watch it when it first came out but totally ignore it now because of that reason

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I can't see Pointless ever being cancelled, unless the moron Osman leaves of course

Is this the same quiz programme where after one team have made their choice of answer, leaving quite a number of other options for the other team to choose from and a "presenter" then says to them "talk me through the rest of the board" when sometimes they don't even have a clue about one of them, let alone "the rest of the board"...:roll:

Is causing deliberate embarrassment by making such an inane remark when only one subject needs choosing an integral part of this quiz?

backontrack

Established Member

Pointless does what it says on the tin. It's pointless.

DaleCooper

Established Member
The more I hear about current television programmes the more pleased I am at my decision to stop watching it over 20 years ago. I just wish the TV licensing agency would get the message.

MrCub

I sat through a studio recording session of Pointless. It was shockingly boring. I'm very used to studios and recordings but this was, by far, the worst. Slow, dull, deary, full of smug arrogance, and above all needlessly long as the presenter and his stooge continuously screwed up and made silly comments to the contestants.

SS4

Established Member
Very well said. :D

We do we have to put up with all this stuff? Reality TV, soaps, it's all rubbish.

It's cheap and originality is dangerous when money calls all the shots (IMO a good reason for keeping the licence fee)

A man can dream and your inverted commas are justified. When the substance in a 45 minute show can be done in 10 you know something is wrong.

I'd also love to see weather forecasters be accurate and honest. Tomorrow will not be a lovely day (if it snows tomorrow I'll eat my hat) it will be sunny and up to 23 degrees.

trainophile

Established Member
Any programme that is preceded by a warning of "strong language and violence from the start". Do they really think people want this sort of stuff in their living rooms? <(

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
For me, it would probably be the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC), because I think it's a pathetic joke of a motorsport series where Citroen dominate and no-one else gets a look-in.

Citroen are dominating because nobody else is taking it seriously. The other manufacturers pulled out. Before Citroen it was Seat- who left- and before them Andy Priaulx won four titles on the bounce before BMW pulled out.

The WTCC is on the way out because of the costs. It's what always tends to happen with touring car championships, the manufacturers get bored and pull out and the series wither away. It happened in the 90s to the original DTM and the SuperTouring-era BTCC, and it'll just keep happening.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Any programme that is preceded by a warning of "strong language and violence from the start". Do they really think people want this sort of stuff in their living rooms? <(

I have no objection to strong language. Violence I'm more squeamish about.

trainophile

Established Member
I have no objection to strong language. Violence I'm more squeamish about.

There was something on last night that my husband was watching, which included a scene a couple of minutes long with repeated shouted exchanges of "you're a f***ing w***er"... "who are you calling a f***ing w***er?", several times over and over.

Not necessary and an assault on my sensitivities. I doubt it added much to the story line either.

Another bugbear of mine is the use of the "f" word as some sort of all-purpose adjective, by people too lazy to think of any more suitable words. But I digress... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.