• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I need a new newspaper to read after the Independent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Personally I would suggest getting your news from Radio 4, or TV News (BBC, ITV, Channel 4). Plus the Today programme on Radio 4 for more in-depth coverage (if you are near a radio when it is on.) I like my news not to be biased according to the political opinions of the owners.

Alternatively, you could get one or two magazines each month - these are available for a wide range of topics, including railways, science, photography, computing, etc., etc. Or read a book (paper or electronic) - there are plenty of non-fiction titles, in addition to masses of assorted fiction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
"Private Eye" and "The London Review of Books" is all you need (though you have to work hard to grasp what they're on about if you haven't wasted hours of your life reading the other drivel that they're referring to).

Butts

Veteran Member
I have a copy of the last ever Independent...

It says "Stop Press" in red on a white front page.

Does anyone think it will ever be valuable ? I wonder how much a copy of issue no 1 is worth ?

A sad day after nearly 30 years patronage by my good self.

I have been sent coupons for a free "I" next week Mon-Sat but what about Sunday :cry:

Johnuk123

Established Member

Does anyone think it will ever be valuable ? I wonder how much a copy of issue no 1 is worth ?

I have been sent coupons for a free "I" next week Mon-Sat but what about Sunday :cry:

They had an expert on the tv last week who said the last Independent would have no value in the future as so many extra have been published.

pemma

Veteran Member

I got one as well. I spent over £10 in Booths today and have a Booths card meaning I get a free Saturday paper. :)

The first edition is likely to be more valuable in the future than the last one but I'm hanging on to my last edition, along with my first edition of New Day.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

It'll be worth the same amount as the £1 Premium Bond I bought with my first pay packet in 1967 and still have somewhere.

I've got the first issue of the Indie somewhere too - posting it to somebody would cost more than the monetary value of it, though! I also have an article from the Indie dated 2001 headlined 'What will happen if Amazon fails?' which, as a bookseller, I have kept in the increasingly forlorn hope that it would prove prescient.

I don't think the new owners of i have announced a Sunday edition - shortsighted?

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't think the new owners of i have announced a Sunday edition - shortsighted?

There's also an advert in today's Independent for the i. I wonder if Johnston Press have paid for it, or whether the sale agreement means Johnston Press pay more if sales of the i are high after the takeover?

miami

Established Member

Lucky you, all sold out here. The local Booths usually sells out, but Sainsburys had a copy of yesterday's at 5PM yesterday. Went down about 2PM today, all gone :(

For most of last year I subscribed and read on my phone, but their app was so bad at remembering I actually paid £3/week I cancelled it shortly before they announced they were stopping it.

Looks like "The Times" is then. A shame given the ownership. With the layoffs at the independent, and the love of buzzfeed-style lists on their website, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the i -- I remember reading a Kim Sengupta piece on Gaza once, and there was an apology in the editorial for running something longer than 100 words

Butts

Veteran Member
Being Sunday today it is my first experience with no IOS available.

I have purchased a "Daily Star on Sunday" - only 50p. I can't find the arts Review and on page 3 there is a young lady in skimpy attire....

"Bunny girl Georgia's a yum mum"

Oh dear.......:oops:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The Daily Star is utter rubbish (no offense to the young lady), it has barely any news in it, and what's in it belongs in a gossip magazine.
Sunday is the only day without a newspaper for me. And unless the I on Sunday is made that won't change.

miami

Established Member
The Daily Star is utter rubbish (no offense to the young lady), it has barely any news in it, and what's in it belongs in a gossip magazine.
Sunday is the only day without a newspaper for me. And unless the I on Sunday is made that won't change.

Is the Sunday sport still going?

MonsooN

The New Day is at least worth a look.

Very different from what's currently out there and it has a balanced political viewpoint (despite coming from the same publisher as the left wing Mirror) they usually take an issue and then have an opinion column from two people with opposing viewpoints which allows you to read both sides of the argument.

It also focuses less on breaking news and more on opinion, issues and campaigns.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well I have tried the "I" and it's not that bad, but it seems closer to a "Posh Metro" than it's former stablemate.

dcsprior

It's a shame that the i/Independent model didn't work, as I'd have liked to see other quality papers launching compact (but still intelligent) versions. I'd certainly buy a 'g' or 'h' if the Guardian or Herald had little sister papers - in the latter case, I had high hopes for The National, but it's too tabloidy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I enjoy The Times.

True, you have to filter out some of the free market claptrap, and I've never quite forgiven them for going tabloid, but it's still a very good read - particularly for my 35 minute each way commute.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The i seems to be the same as before the sale still. And has good stories, yesterday's headline was Falklands being abondoned by the navy, what other papers talked in detail about that?

Butts

Veteran Member
The i seems to be the same as before the sale still. And has good stories, yesterday's headline was Falklands being abondoned by the navy, what other papers talked in detail about that?

It's not bad but does not seem to have the same depth as The Independent - but then it is a lot cheaper !!!

After my experience with the Daily Star Sunday last week, I bought an Observer today - £2.90 <D

But it took me four hours to read - so good value I suppose. Well written and a good spread of features.<D

route:oxford

Established Member
In the olden days, The Scotsman and The Herald were both available quite readily in Manchester. The Herald has improved since it was purchased by Gannet Media.

You can't beat "The Courier" and "The Sunday Post", the latter is definitely available in Manchester and is (from memory) the only Newspaper with an office on Fleet Street.

Butts

Veteran Member
Monday-Saturday I now purchase the "I" so that was simple...Sundays however after trying all the "quality" titles I can confirm the winner is....

The Sunday Telegraph which for what you get is good value at £2.00

My favourite was actually The Observer but I'm damned if I'm going to fork out £3 for a newspaper.:p

The Sunday Times at £2.50 was third

A very poor fourth and fifth the Sunday Herald and Scotland on Sunday - both cheapish but not substantial - ie only take a couple of hours to read compared to four or five for the above three.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well the I has truly let me down today.

I was looking forward to reading all about Wales wonderful victory over Belgium last night......

There was nothing about the match in the sports section , unlike yesterday when there was a report on Portugal v Poland which actually finished a lot later due to extra time and penalties.

This used to happen with The Independent as well. Considering it lists Glasgow as one of the places it is printed what is going on? I suspect for some absurd reason this issue came up from Oldham.

Did anyone buy an I anywhere but Scotland and did it have coverage of the match?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well the I has truly let me down today.

I was looking forward to reading all about Wales wonderful victory over Belgium last night......

There was nothing about the match in the sports section , unlike yesterday when there was a report on Portugal v Poland which actually finished a lot later due to extra time and penalties.

This used to happen with The Independent as well. Considering it lists Glasgow as one of the places it is printed what is going on? I suspect for some absurd reason this issue came up from Oldham.

Did anyone buy an I anywhere but Scotland and did it have coverage of the match?

'History boys! Dragons blow Belgium away to make semis' was right at the top of page 1 of my copy of the i bought in Cornwall this morning at 10. The back page had a photo of the moment of victory and there was a full report on pages 70 and 71. Given we only ever get first editions being 300 miles from London I think some sort of editorial decision must have been made to exclude Scottish readers from this news!

Butts

Veteran Member
'History boys! Dragons blow Belgium away to make semis' was right at the top of page 1 of my copy of the i bought in Cornwall this morning at 10. The back page had a photo of the moment of victory and there was a full report on pages 70 and 71. Given we only ever get first editions being 300 miles from London I think some sort of editorial decision must have been made to exclude Scottish readers from this news!

It's crazy especially when the previous days issue had reports of the Portugal v Poland which went to extra time and penalties (thus finishing a lot later and if anything ommission being more understandable). There was not even a half time score or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.