• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I wanna SCREAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eezypeazy

In a previous existence, I used to work for British Gas. In the '80s, there was some concern that natural gas leaking from pipes could be contributing to global warming. However, research proved that the greatest environmental threat from free methane wasn't BG, or cows, but.... gnats and flies! Yep, if only we could get them to break wind into plastic bags, we could probably replace a whole power station!

eezypeazy

bunnahabhain

Established Member
So we've got annoying little flying thingys that are causing global warming due to farting too much. Wonderful...;)

H

HR2

eezypeazy said:
In a previous existence, I used to work for British Gas. In the '80s, there was some concern that natural gas leaking from pipes could be contributing to global warming. However, research proved that the greatest environmental threat from free methane wasn't BG, or cows, but.... gnats and flies! Yep, if only we could get them to break wind into plastic bags, we could probably replace a whole power station! eezypeazy

I've heard it all now! :sign5: Flying fart machines eh? I 'm sodding glad that elephants can't fly. Anyone got any gnat nappies?

Tom B

Established Member
It's stupidly hot today, at school an edict came from TPTB allowing us to take off our ties. How kind. Now revert all the locked or painted shut windows so we can open them and buy a few fans...

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Sod summer uniform or waiting for senior management to tell us we could take off our ties, when I was at school we told them that we weren't going to tuck our shirts in, unroll our sleeves, fasten our top buttons or wear a tie! ;) :lol:

For the past 2 years at college we had a mutual agreement with our lecturers that when it was hot we could go for regular drinks or to cool off outside/in the corridors etc. :)

RJ

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Also helps to let fires burn a bit, once you've started them, when the crops aren't so dry - then when the crops do dry out, you've not got so much dead material waiting to go up in flames!

Fire burns on oxygen!!!!! It does not help at all to give them time to spread!

evil_hippo

Honestly, people, you're missing the point! Have you seen how little girls are wearing owning to the heat? well, then.

Tomnick

Established Member
Joe H said:
Fire burns on oxygen!!!!! It does not help at all to give them time to spread!
Yes, but once they've burnt all the material on the bankside away (when there's less risk of the field full of expensive crops catching fire!), then there's much less chance of another fire starting later on (when the crops are more likely to catch fire - swiftly followed by a claim from the farmer). I'm not suggesting that they should be allowed to spread out of control, but sometimes it's best to give them chance to burn themselves out.

The words of the Evil Hippo do seem to sum up the one good thing that comes out of this weather though - and I've got to say, a signalbox is a nice subtle place to observe All That May Pass! Incidentally, I'm told that Oxford's a good box to work at this time of year, being slightly below platform level (with the bottom of the windows being at platform level) - I've heard it's a great view! When I was in Sutton Bridge box (Shrewsbury), I quickly understood why the 'box chair would move to the north end of the box in the height of summer - the box windows at that end are located more or less straight under a footbridge with nice open sides :lol:.

H

HR2

Tomnick said:
Yes, but once they've burnt all the material on the bankside away (when there's less risk of the field full of expensive crops catching fire!), then there's much less chance of another fire starting later on (when the crops are more likely to catch fire - swiftly followed by a claim from the farmer). I'm not suggesting that they should be allowed to spread out of control, but sometimes it's best to give them chance to burn themselves out.

The words of the Evil Hippo do seem to sum up the one good thing that comes out of this weather though - and I've got to say, a signalbox is a nice subtle place to observe All That May Pass! Incidentally, I'm told that Oxford's a good box to work at this time of year, being slightly below platform level (with the bottom of the windows being at platform level) - I've heard it's a great view! When I was in Sutton Bridge box (Shrewsbury), I quickly understood why the 'box chair would move to the north end of the box in the height of summer - the box windows at that end are located more or less straight under a footbridge with nice open sides :lol:.

OOhh! that's called 'bus conductors perks' you know. It also applies for train drivers on the south end of the northern line.

Gareth Hale

Oh grow up all! Its not hot, and if you don't like it move to antartica, sure its warm, but not boiling! The UK is far to conjested! It took 7 hours to go 100 miles on the M6 on Friday! It takes 70 mins to do 100 miles in the USA going through cities. So don't give me the USA is polluting crap, look at the roads in the UK, then see the USA and you decide...

Tomnick

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Its not hot
No, it is hot. And I'm not the only one to think so. This is, of course, compared to what we're used to.
Gareth Hale said:
So don't give me the USA is polluting crap, look at the roads in the UK, then see the USA and you decide...
Look at the cars in the USA, compare their average fuel consumption with those in the UK, then you decide.

(also I make the average speed of your journey somewhere around 85mph - that's hardly the most efficient speed to travel...)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Oh grow up all! Its not hot, and if you don't like it move to antartica, sure its warm, but not boiling! The UK is far to conjested! It took 7 hours to go 100 miles on the M6 on Friday! It takes 70 mins to do 100 miles in the USA going through cities. So don't give me the USA is polluting crap, look at the roads in the UK, then see the USA and you decide...

Should have taken the train. After all, it makes the going easy and the coming back in the age of the train.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
So i work that out to be an average of 85MPH when you did the 100 miles in the US. You obviously weren't doing 85 going through cities, so you must have been doing well in excess of 100MPH on open roads. I'm not sure how aware you are of this, but the maximum UK speed limit is 70MPH ;)

The M6 is well known as one of the UK's most unpleasant motorways in terms of congestion etc, along with parts of the M1, M4, M5 and M25. The stretch through the West Midlands is particularly bad. Add to that the wonderful statistic that for every 1 minute that a stretch of the M6 is closed, a tailback of 1 mile forms, it isn't hard for a fairly small incident to cause huge traffic jams.

Going back to the subject of heat, considering that this country is used to temperatures more around the 15c-20c mark, a sudden doubling in temperatures makes it seem pretty damn hot. I suppose you're going to go over to Spain/Italy/Malta/Greece/anywhere else on the Mediteranean and tell them that it's actually a bit chilly overe there are you?

Gareth Hale

I am not taking the train, not with jetlag, and what do you do once you arrive at your destination? How to get out into pendle with no bus, train or tram service?

Also, I did 11.9 miles per minute the other day :) :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk:

Plus its honistly, not hot at all. Im used to 40/50C, not 27C!

eezypeazy

"Mr Miliband will suggest new environmental taxes to shift the cost of pollution on to consumers and propose that consumers might make automatic payments to offset pollution."

Aha.... yet another excuse for the Treasury to dip its hand into my wallet.....

Including National Insurance, almost 40% of what most people earn goes straight to the taxman. Of what's left, 17.5% of (almost) everything you spend goes in VAT (main exclusions are food in shops and newspapers). There are additional taxes on beer, wines, spirits, insurances, air travel, and, of course, petrol. There are other motoring taxes on vehicle purchase and the annual licence. When my car needs new tyres, the supplier will charge me for disposing of the old ones. Then there's Council Tax, through which I pay for my rubbish to be taken away.

"Shifting the cost of pollution on to consumers" gives industry and retailers a free hand to continue polluting, at my expense!

Every human activity has an impact on the environment, which could be deemed to be polluting. Just by breathing, I'm extracting oxygen from the air and adding to the CO2 in the atmosphere! Now, there's something the government could try taxing....

eezypeazy

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gareth Hale said:
Plus its honistly, not hot at all. Im used to 40/50C, not 27C!

Its a bit more than 27 where I am, try 35.

In Bournemouth in the sun it is more than 50C

Simming

also agreeing with evil hippo about what women wear, or more like what they dont :P

even better in cornwall, they wear there seasidy gear, beautiful !!

whats cheesing me off, all this hot weather, and not one decent thunderstorm!!!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's not just the heat that is the issue though, it's the high humidity aswell, which makes it feel even hotter than it is. Also, people arn't moaning about 27 deg C, which most would be happy with, it's been 30deg plus in some places. The fact that unlike in many hot climates, homes and offices are rarely air-conditioned since it's very expensive (usually more than £100 for a basic unit) is another factor. Culturally we're also not used to this heat either and this effects everything from building design to clothing, and of cource our general knowledge of how to cope with this sort of weather. Afterall, we only experiance this sort of weather for a week or two a year and not every year, so people arn't used to it and it's not econoically viable to spend money on ways to deal with the problem (e.g air-con). The same goes for snow, which also causes the country to grind to a halt, which countries that have it regularly barely bother about. The problem with the UK is that we have just under 50 weeks of normal weather with temperatures from just below freezing (in most areas) to the high 20s, then a couple of weeks of relativly extream weather of all different sorts (there is very little weather we don't have in the UK, even if most isn't anything like as strong as in some parts of the world).

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I am not taking the train, not with jetlag, and what do you do once you arrive at your destination?

Well you can always do what most people do when they arrive at their destination.

Get off the train.

Gareth Hale said:
How to get out into pendle with no bus, train or tram service?

Taxi, Walk, Hitchhiking, Hire a Car, get a Friend to pick you up.

Try going to McDonalds to buy their new patented McCommon Sense.

devon_metro

Established Member
Simming said:
also agreeing with evil hippo about what women wear, or more like what they dont :P

even better in cornwall, they wear there seasidy gear, beautiful !!

whats cheesing me off, all this hot weather, and not one decent thunderstorm!!!

The joys of the beach...

...in most cases ;)

Thunderstorms are coming, sky is getting dark!

Guinness

Established Member
Haven't you left Gareth? :toothy10:

America is a polluting country but at least in the UK our goverment is actually doing something about it (slow process but still progress).

America have cars that mostly do 15mpg where in the UK a fuel effient Dennis Dart 8.8m does the same mpg. 5 seats vs 30 seats at the same mpg? You choose! ;)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Also, I did 11.9 miles per minute the other day :) :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk:
Or rather, the aircraft you were travelling in did 714MPH, you sat in your seat and watched some movie or other? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.