• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IBM (Halt) Closure & Possible Re-opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnedders

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WideRanger

That's actually quite an old story, which the Mirror has only just latched on to. They closed the station immediately after the girl graduated school. The Japanese trainspotter community got wind of it and large numbers descended on the station for the last few weeks. Lots of pictures were taken of both the station and the girl, who apparently was pretty distressed by it all (lots of slightly socially awkward middle aged men taking pictures of and asking for autographs from a 17-year old girl). If I remember correctly, JR Hokkaido put out a general plea not to harrass her.

_toommm_

Established Member
Could the bus/taxi acceptance be restricted to holders of a valid IBM ID card?

But there is no IBM staff at that site anymore, so what need would IBM staff have to visit such site? It'll just be another waste of public money when it's clear the only market for IBM station in its current state is the enthusiast.

A Challenge

Established Member
But there is no IBM staff at that site anymore, so what need would IBM staff have to visit such site? It'll just be another waste of public money when it's clear the only market for IBM station in its current state is the enthusiast.
Exactly the point I think.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
AFAIK IBM still have offices in Greenock just not at the old Spango Valley sight so in theory there will be people in Greenock with valid IBM identification.

"A taxi will be provided on demand to any IBM employee or contractor who can prove that they have Company business at the site"?

(The Company will of course be contacted to verify any such evidence)

:D

Chrism20

Established Member
"A taxi will be provided on demand to any IBM employee or contractor who can prove that they have Company business at the site"?

(The Company will of course be contacted to verify any such evidence)

:D

That would do it :)

And anyone else requiring the ScotRail taxi service can get the one with the big blue light on the top.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There still should be a formal statement from Transport Scotland clarifying what is happening. They seems strangely silent on the matter.

InOban

Established Member
There still should be a formal statement from Transport Scotland clarifying what is happening. They seems strangely silent on the matter.
Doesn't Strathclyde Passenger Transport (SPT) specify services in its area? Hence it was an item on their agenda.

MadMac

I'm pretty sure the police & local residents are disgusted that a useless station is helping fuel anti-social behaviour in the local area.

There's a (sort of) precedent for this. Back in the early 90s, the entire service was withdrawn (save for a few peak hour trains), from Romford-Upminster due to vandalism running at 60 grand a month. Personal opinion: the IBM approach is a common-sense solution. Withdraw calls due to the station's "raison d'etre" no longer existing, with a commitment to maintain it pending the situation in the area becoming clearer.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Doesn't Strathclyde Passenger Transport (SPT) specify services in its area? Hence it was an item on their agenda.

SPT haven’t specified rail services since 2006. They are still a statutory consultee in the same way as SESTran or TACTran are but they aren’t the franchising authority anymore.

Journeyman

Established Member
I went there yesterday, and had a good nose around. The site was completely deserted, I didn't even see any security patrols, and there is literally nothing there.

The station's entire raison d'etre has vanished, and its continued existence is causing problems. I conclude this is probably the best case for closure I've ever seen.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I went there yesterday, and had a good nose around. The site was completely deserted, I didn't even see any security patrols, and there is literally nothing there.

The station's entire raison d'etre has vanished, and its continued existence is causing problems. I conclude this is probably the best case for closure I've ever seen.

Given what people who have visited are saying closure or mothballing make sense but it is extremely strange that there's been no official statement from Transport Scotland, SPT, ORR or any other competent authority. This really is unacceptable.

najaB

Veteran Member
...it is extremely strange that there's been no official statement from Transport Scotland, SPT, ORR or any other competent authority...
There's probably a notice on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.

Journeyman

Established Member
Given what people who have visited are saying closure or mothballing make sense but it is extremely strange that there's been no official statement from Transport Scotland, SPT, ORR or any other competent authority. This really is unacceptable.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, to be honest. It's not really that different to things like Newhaven Marine or the Croxley Green branch, which have ended up closing by default.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, to be honest. It's not really that different to things like Newhaven Marine or the Croxley Green branch, which have ended up closing by default.

It's a whole lot more acceptable than closing Croxley Green, which wasn't particularly busy but wasn't really any more of a basket case than a goodly number of branch lines "up North", and mainly lost out in the end because somebody decided to plonk a road through it but couldn't be bothered building a bridge.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

But at least at Croxley Green they went through a consultation process. My worry is not the loss of IBM, but the closure of a station with no clarification from the authorities. Is it being closed or mothballed. What exactly is going on?

The loss of IBM is not an issue but it might be next time they decide to do this.

najaB

Veteran Member
The loss of IBM is not an issue but it might be next time they decide to do this.
A station with c 50 passengers per year just got rebuilt at a cost of £2M. Station closure in Scotland isn't something you need to lose sleep over.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A station with c 50 passengers per year just got rebuilt at a cost of £2M. Station closure in Scotland isn't something you need to lose sleep over.

On the other hand given that Transport Scotland didn't get the result they wanted from the Briech consultation perhaps they've just decided not to consult any longer.

This is a dangerous precedent.

stantheman

On Moderation
Met an enthusiast on SAt who said he got off there , and on , no problem and was sold a ticket
Even better , he got 314216

Altnabreac

Established Member
On the other hand given that Transport Scotland didn't get the result they wanted from the Briech consultation perhaps they've just decided not to consult any longer.

This is a dangerous precedent.

Transport Scotland are a Scottish Government agency. The Scottish Government Transport Minister made the decision to keep Breich open. They're effectively the same thing.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It's a whole lot more acceptable than closing Croxley Green, which wasn't particularly busy but wasn't really any more of a basket case than a goodly number of branch lines "up North", and mainly lost out in the end because somebody decided to plonk a road through it but couldn't be bothered building a bridge.
But the council promised to pay for a bridge, as and when necessary, were the line / service to be re-instated.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very interesting - so it's not antisocial behaviour at the IBM site that was an issue, rather it was people using it to avoid Police attention at other local stations!

Status
Not open for further replies.