• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could create any direct services which currently don’t run which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tetudo boy

My ideas: Part 2

Okay, Let's start with the new stations/lines:
  1. Liverpool Central Line: Connect's Liverpool Lime Street with James Street Station using a 1.3 km tunnel. The line is Privately owned by Liverpool Tōzai Rapid Railway Business (strange name but that's all I could think of), which is a half-British/half-Japanese company.
  2. Liverpool Metro Oliver-North Line(Take a good guess why it's named that ;)): Serves the existing Canada Dock Line which includes a new line between Bank Hall and Edge Lane via Bramley-Moore and Lime Street (A bit like the 2017 version of Kayla Bibby's Sergeant Pepper Line, but covers a bit more of the docks and uses a bit of the Liverpool Overhead Railway). The previous stations before the original passenger services are present with a few new stations at County Road, Kirkdale and Bank hall. There will be several Junctions along the line which lead to existing lines including the existing junction near Wavertree Technology Park.
  3. Liverpool Metro NorthEast Line: Another Subway line Between Liverpool Lime Street and Tower Hill via Norris Green. An alternative route for the 14A bus route as it runs along the same route.
Here's the routes!
  1. New Brighton/Chester - John Lennon Airport (All stops. Via Central Line.)
  2. Chester - Hooton - Birkenhead Central - James Street - Liverpool Lime Street - St Helens Queen Street - Manchester Piccadily - Sheffield - Meadowhall/Rotherham Central (Alternating) - Doncaster - Scunthorpe - Barnetby (Limited Service) - Grimsby Town - Cleethorpes
Oh god, I feel like putting all of these ideas into one thread!
GOOD NEWS! I did put this into a thread! You can find it at: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...c-new-services-stations-across-the-uk.202539/
Thanks!

Halifaxlad

Established Member
The idea behind a new Sheffield - Blackpool service that could initially run via Barnsley & Huddersfield but later via a reinstated Horbury West Curve, bypassing Huddersfield is to provide better cross pennine connections from South Yorkshire to West Lancashire via West Yorkshire & East Lancashire. Also freeing up some capacity at Sheffield Midland!

tbtc

Veteran Member
South Monmouthshire - Bristol

Best suggestion of the past hundred - that'd get my vote - there's surely some demand from (e.g.) Chepstow for a Bristol service - same could be said of stations on the Shrewsbury/ Hereford/ Abergavenny line too - sadly I can't see it happening but it looks like a suggestion worth making IMHO

backontrack

Established Member
From another thread:
Interestingly, a route via HS1, Southfleet and Swanley to Herne Hill, then via either Thameslink and Finsbury Park or Brixton, Wandsworth, Battersea and Kensington Olympia, seems to be the only way you can get directly from the Channel Tunnel to the WCML and ECML...

Make of that what you will. :D

1TPD Dover Priory – Glasgow Central
(Dover Priory, Folkestone Central, Ashford International, Bromley South, Kensington Olympia, Watford Junction, Crewe, Preston, Lancaster, Oxenholme Lake District, Penrith North Lakes, Carlisle, Glasgow Central)

1TPD Margate – Inverness
(Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Canterbury West, Ashford International, Bromley South, London Blackfriars (pick up only), London St Pancras (pick up only), York, Darlington, Newcastle Central, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket, Stirling, Perth, Pitlochry, Kingussie, Aviemore, Inverness)

:D

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Best suggestion of the past hundred - that'd get my vote - there's surely some demand from (e.g.) Chepstow for a Bristol service - same could be said of stations on the Shrewsbury/ Hereford/ Abergavenny line too - sadly I can't see it happening but it looks like a suggestion worth making IMHO
Through Gloucester and south to Bristol I'm guessing?

Iskra

Established Member
From another thread:

1TPD Dover Priory – Glasgow Central
(Dover Priory, Folkestone Central, Ashford International, Bromley South, Kensington Olympia, Watford Junction, Crewe, Preston, Lancaster, Oxenholme Lake District, Penrith North Lakes, Glasgow Central)

1TPD Margate – Inverness
(Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Canterbury West, Ashford International, Bromley South, London Blackfriars (pick up only), London St Pancras (pick up only), York, Darlington, Newcastle Central, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket, Stirling, Perth, Pitlochry, Kingussie, Aviemore, Inverness)

:D

Top train should call at Carlisle too, everything else does!

I think your second service should run via the WCML too. Surely the ECML is very easy from Kent using the Javelin services then a very simple walking interchange at Kings Cross, it doesn’t get much easier than that in terms of changing stations.

Not that either service really has any chance at all of coming to fruition.

backontrack

Established Member
Top train should call at Carlisle too, everything else does!

I think your second service should run via the WCML too. Surely the ECML is very easy from Kent using the Javelin services then a very simple walking interchange at Kings Cross, it doesn’t get much easier than that in terms of changing stations.

Not that either service really has any chance at all of coming to fruition.
Oops, I accidentally forgot Carlisle, cheers! Meant to put it there.

The idea's kind of that there's one WCML and one ECML service. I just kind of like the idea lmao

Glenn1969

Established Member
Bradford to the West Highlands

1 tpd both ways
Bradford. Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Burnley, Blackburn, Preston, Carlisle, Lockerbie, Edinburgh, Glasgow QS, Dumbarton C, Helensburgh, Crianlarich, Tulloch, Fort William, Glenfinnan, Mallaig

Not sure how you can get from Lockerbie to the WHL without going via Edinburgh and know this one is very crayonista

Voyager lad

1 tpd both ways
Bradford. Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Burnley, Blackburn, Preston, Carlisle, Lockerbie, Edinburgh, Glasgow QS, Dumbarton C, Helensburgh, Crianlarich, Tulloch, Fort William, Glenfinnan, Mallaig

Not sure how you can get from Lockerbie to the WHL without going via Edinburgh and know this one is very crayonista
To get from Lockerbie to the WHL, you’d follow the WCML as far as Rutherglen, then through Dalmarnock etc to Glasgow Central Low Level, continue out through Anderston to Partick and then either via Scotstounhill or via Anniesland to Dalmuir, and then as usual to the WHL.

I don’t really think there is a market for this kind of service, the only way it could work would be as a Preston or maybe Manchester (if pathing allowed) to Fort William, with maybe extensions on summer Saturday’s to Mallaig and to/ from Bradford.

After all, the quickest way from Bradford - Mallaig would be Bradford FS - Shipley - Carlisle - Glasgow - Dalmuir - Mallaig, and the proposed route via Blackburn and Preston would probably take at least an hour or two more.

Esker-pades

Established Member

1 tpd both ways

There are various ways.

The one suggested above via the Argyle Line.

Turn north at Motherwell, pass Mossend and Coatbridge, turn west at Gartsherrie South Junction to get onto the Cumbernauld Line, cross Cowlairs Junction, then the normal route via Maryhill and Singer to Dalmuir and onto the WHL.

PeterC

Established Member
Chepstow - Bristol would require reversal at Severn Tunnel Junction. I don't know what services from there should be like now (without CV19 adjustments) but park and ride seems a better option than faffing around with reversals. A Bristol service from, at least, Abergavenny, was one which came out of my crayon box decades ago. With the increase in commuting over the Severn crossings that is probably one where crayons could be replaced with coloured pencils.

Chepstow - Bristol would require reversal at Severn Tunnel Junction. I don't know what services from there should be like now (without CV19 adjustments) but park and ride seems a better option than faffing around with reversals. A Bristol service from, at least, Abergavenny, was one which came out of my crayon box decades ago. With the increase in commuting over the Severn crossings that is probably one where crayons could be replaced with coloured pencils.
You could go via Gloucester. Long way round, I know, but this way Lydney also gets a direct service and you boost frequency between Gloucester and Bristol (the few times I've been that way trains have been packed). How far west would there be scope to start this service so it could also serve Severn Tunnel Junction enabling interchange onto the mainline? Newport? Would it be worth/is there capacity for extending to Cardiff?

Nottingham59

Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I'd vote for an hourly service from Nottingham to Manchester Piccadilly, direct i.e. missing out Sheffield, but calling at Chesterfield and Stockport. This would shave 20-25 minutes off the current service.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I'd vote for an hourly service from Nottingham to Manchester Piccadilly, direct i.e. missing out Sheffield, but calling at Chesterfield and Stockport. This would shave 20-25 minutes off the current service.
Very good, but Nottingham - Chesterfield via Sheffield would need an express service.

Status
Not open for further replies.