• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Implications of no level access platforms for penalty fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

Given that rail services in that area are heavily subsidised by local authorities, who have been significant drivers of station improvements, you might get more traction by taking this up with your local authority and councillors.
I agree with you, all I am saying is the new requirement for a two way trip (pun intended, if one is unlucky on the stairs.....) to the other platform's ticket machine (where non existed before), makes it more of a problem than it was before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
I found out today that I was unable to buy a ticket on the train from Chapeltown using our Family Railcard. The guard told me there may not be a ticket office but there is a ticket machine so I must buy my ticket before boarding, or at least get a "permit to travel" and then buy my ticket on the train. This was the first time I had heard of this as I always buy my tickets on the train when travelling from Chap and have never had a problem before. Best skirt over my less than impressed reaction and get to the point of this thread.

I suspect the guard's reaction to your request would have been very different if he'd seen you approaching the train to board on crutches, then head for the first available seat nearest the doors, and then you mentioned that you know you needed to use the machine, but as it was on the other side of the station and you'd done your ankle in you couldn't manage it and could he please just sell you a non-discounted ticket even though you have a railcard.

If you aren't able to follow the rules, you will have to appeal to human kindness to get any sort of favour. Being "less than impressed" when someone expects you to have followed the rules is unlikely to endear them to your cause.

Furthermore, I'm amazed that someone who uses the trains around the Sheffield area as much as you imply you do would not be aware of the requirement to buy a ticket before boarding, what with the regular and well publicised blockades at Meadowhall and the regular announcements from guards on those services and the requirement to do so.

Haywain

Veteran Member
all I am saying is the new requirement for a two way trip (pun intended, if one is unlucky on the stairs.....) to the other platform's ticket machine (where non existed before)
There is no "new requirement" to hold a ticket before boarding a train. Chapeltown has had a ticket machine for at least 5 years, the only thing that has changed is that someone has told you about this on a train, and that is surely better than being issued a Penalty Fare.

Justin Smith

If you aren't able to follow the rules, you will have to appeal to human kindness to get any sort of favour. Being "less than impressed" when someone expects you to have followed the rules is unlikely to endear them to your cause.

Furthermore, I'm amazed that someone who uses the trains around the Sheffield area as much as you imply you do would not be aware of the requirement to buy a ticket before boarding, what with the regular and well publicised blockades at Meadowhall and the regular announcements from guards on those services and the requirement to do so.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make here TBH.
Whenever we catch the train (which is not as often as it was) nothwards it is usually from Chap. Otherwise we use Sheffield or Swinton and there we buy the tickets from the ticket office. I would have thought we'd travelled from Chap half a dozen times in the last year and have never been told we cannot use our family railcard. There was no way I'd have paid double the amount, I could have driven there for less than that, so in the end because this occurred just as we were approaching Barnsley, where we were going to change anyway, we just got off and bought the tickets from the booking office there. A load of aggravation and ill feeling for nothing.

There is no "new requirement" to hold a ticket before boarding a train. Chapeltown has had a ticket machine for at least 5 years, the only thing that has changed is that someone has told you about this on a train, and that is surely better than being issued a Penalty Fare.
See above.
It is a "new requirement" for me if I had not known about it*. TBH I did not even know Chap had a ticket MC as we only ever catch a train north from there, and, as we have established, there is no machine on that platform......

* and being helpful in my book, good customer service, though they maybe should have told us previously they were doing us a bit of a favour and not all guards would. The one we got certainly was not, I did not like his attitude because it was obvious I was not trying to avoid paying, I was there with my 10 year old son and our family railcard, how many fare dodgers try it on whilst with their child ? Some maybe, but not many, surely ?

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
The last time I went there, Kiveton Park station (which is not actually located in the village of Kiveton Park, whereas Kiveton Bridge is - confusing!) only had TVMs on the Sheffield-bound platform. You have to use the level crossing to get to the other platform, so if you're travelling towards Retford or Lincoln, you'd have to arrive with a lot of time to spare to guarantee that you'd even be able to access the TVM (particularly if there's a train due towards Sheffield a few minutes before your service), and then have enough time left to buy your ticket and cross back to the Retford-bound platform before the barriers lowered.

If you arrived at the station 10 minutes before departure and the barriers were already shut, I struggle to see how that could be considered as having ticketing facilities, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Penalty Fares (or worse) issued in those circumstances.
This was a key aspect of the Elsenham schoolchildren fatalities, where the ticketing facilities were on the opposite side of the level crossing to the Cambridge-bound platform, and opposite side to all the village housing, thus passengers for Cambridge had to cross the busy double track line twice on the level. Management had erected signs warning of prosecution for ticketless travel, but made no provision for buying one on that side. I honestly thought these sorts of issues had all been sorted out in the aftermath of that event.

Via Bank

I suggest that people in this thread read up on the social model of disability and understand that regardless of the existing wording of the Equality Act, the problem is not with any person (regardless of whether they have no legs at all or have sprained their ankle, or whether some arbitrary notice considers them "disabled enough") but with the way the station is organised. I think a ticket machine on both platforms, or allowing blanket buy-on-board, is a reasonable adjustment which people are within their rights to ask for. And true, if you tried to take them to court about it with a sprained ankle, you might not win based on the technicality of the Equality Act's (IMHO outdated) definition of disability. But if someone did have a long-term impairment, got refused a discounted fare in the scenario described by OP, and took them to court, they might well win.

I don't think getting into the nitty gritty of whether a specific individual's impairment will probably disappear in the next six weeks is helpful. The barrier/discrimination exists regardless. And if nothing else, it's shockingly bad customer service and worth kicking up a stink about.

Gaelan

I suggest that people in this thread read up on the social model of disability and understand that regardless of the existing wording of the Equality Act, the problem is not with any person (regardless of whether they have no legs at all or have sprained their ankle, or whether some arbitrary notice considers them "disabled enough") but with the way the station is organised. I think a ticket machine on both platforms, or allowing blanket buy-on-board, is a reasonable adjustment which people are within their rights to ask for. And true, if you tried to take them to court about it with a sprained ankle, you might not win based on the technicality of the Equality Act's (IMHO outdated) definition of disability. But if someone did have a long-term impairment, got refused a discounted fare in the scenario described by OP, and took them to court, they might well win.
Yes, absolutely this. The best disability accommodation is one that makes life better for everyone - in this case placing a ticket machine on the other platform.

XAM2175

Established Member
It is a "new requirement" for me if I had not known about it*. TBH I did not even know Chap had a ticket MC as we only ever catch a train north from there, and, as we have established, there is no machine on that platform......
A requirement that you didn't know about can be new to you, but if it's been on the books for years it's objectively not new.

* and being helpful in my book, good customer service, though they maybe should have told us previously they were doing us a bit of a favour and not all guards would. The one we got certainly was not, I did not like his attitude because it was obvious I was not trying to avoid paying, I was there with my 10 year old son and our family railcard, how many fare dodgers try it on whilst with their child ? Some maybe, but not many, surely ?
Many guards - even those who by every other definition deliver the pinnacle of conscientious service - skip the "really you should be buying before you board" advice precisely because so many people have an unfortunate habit of getting shirty about receiving it.

I suggest that people in this thread read up on the social model of disability and understand that regardless of the existing wording of the Equality Act, the problem is not with any person ...
You will find, I think, that many of the responders here agree that the railway (such as it is now) could be doing many things better, and sorting out the "it's a crime to not use a TVM but also we can't be bothered to install enough of them in sensible places but it's still your fault" impasse is very definitely something that needs to be done.

As ever though, replies here need to convey first and foremost the current reality of the situation to both the OP and any subsequent readers, before considering how it might be improved.

Justin Smith

A requirement that you didn't know about can be new to you, but if it's been on the books for years it's objectively not new.
TBH I checked up and we have only used Chap three times in the last 6 months, not "half a dozen". That is because we only use Chap when going north, and, BTW, when we return, we get out and walk north to get back to the car (via the aforementioned risky Asda car park) and don't even walk past the waiting shelter hiding the ticket machine within.....
Sidelight : I am slightly concerned with pointing out the Asda carpark route is not that safe because these days the powers that be are more likely to just say, OK, we'll just shut that exit !

>>Justin Smith said:
* and being helpful in my book, good customer service, though they maybe should have told us previously they were doing us a bit of a favour and not all guards would. The one we got certainly was not, I did not like his attitude because it was obvious I was not trying to avoid paying, I was there with my 10 year old son and our family railcard, how many fare dodgers try it on whilst with their child ? Some maybe, but not many, surely ?<<

Many guards - even those who by every other definition deliver the pinnacle of conscientious service - skip the "really you should be buying before you board" advice precisely because so many people have an unfortunate habit of getting shirty about receiving it.
Maybe I was unclear. What I meant is the guards who had helpfully sold me tickets could have done so but added that some other guards might not be so accommodating as technically Northern say passengers should buy a ticket from the machine before travel. I cannot imagine any passenger would be bolshy about the guard saying that because he is basically not only advising them but also indirectly reminding them just how helpful he is being. My awkward squad guard did not even do that, he just flatly refused to sell me a ticket using my Family Railcard even when it was obvious to anyone who knows anything about human nature that I was not "trying it on".

Here is the first draft of my proposed letter to Northern Rail, I have taken the liberty of using some of the useful points made by other contributors on this thread. Have I missed anything out etc ?

I found out today that I was unable to buy a ticket on the train from Chapeltown with our family railcard. The guard told me it is a penalty fare route and though there may not be a ticket office there is a ticket machine so I must buy my ticket before boarding, or at least get a "permit to travel" and then buy my ticket on the train. This was the first time I had heard of this as we only travel from Chapeltown every few months, I have always bought my tickets on the train when travelling and we have never had a problem before. I cannot say I was impressed with the guard's attitude as it was obvious we were not trying to avoid paying, and in fact we did so using our railcard by getting off at Barnsley and using the ticket office there.
We always travel north from Chapeltown station as we park on the road west of the station then walk down the path from the north end of the station. But Chapeltown only has one ticket machine, which we have never even seen because it is on the extreme end of the other (southbound) platform and hidden inside the shelter. At Chapeltown getting to the ticket machine involves quite a trek right to the end of the P/F, down a long flight of stairs, round the road, then up another long flight of stairs, then all the way back again to catch the train. Obviously that is incredibly inconvenient and also requires getting to the station earlier, plus having to add on contingency time just in case there was a queue for the solitary machine, making it even more inconvenient.
However, that is for someone able bodied, what about those with mobility issues ? How are they to access the ticket machine and then back onto their platform ? The advertised "step free access" requires a very long detour (and back again don't forget) including having to walk the entire length of a busy Asda car park with no segregated footpath. Thus I would argue Northern Trains are in breach of the Equality Act 2010.
Leaving specific disability issues aside, Chapeltown is effectively two stations (up and down) as it is not possible, even for the able bodied, to get from one platform to the other without exiting the station and walking along the public highway, and therefore, if travelling north I effectively do not have the opportunity to buy a ticket and therefore your penalty fare conditions are invalid.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Here is the first draft of my proposed letter to Northern Rail, I have taken the liberty of using some of the useful points made by other contributors on this thread. Have I missed anything out etc ?

I found out today that I was unable to buy a ticket on the train from Chapeltown with our family railcard. The guard told me it is a penalty fare route and though there may not be a ticket office there is a ticket machine so I must buy my ticket before boarding, or at least get a "permit to travel" and then buy my ticket on the train. This was the first time I had heard of this as we only travel from Chapeltown every few months, I have always bought my tickets on the train when travelling and we have never had a problem before. I cannot say I was impressed with the guard's attitude as it was obvious we were not trying to avoid paying, and in fact we did so using our railcard by getting off at Barnsley and using the ticket office there.
We always travel north from Chapeltown station as we park on the road west of the station then walk down the path from the north end of the station. But Chapeltown only has one ticket machine, which we have never even seen because it is on the extreme end of the other (southbound) platform and hidden inside the shelter. At Chapeltown getting to the ticket machine involves quite a trek right to the end of the P/F, down a long flight of stairs, round the road, then up another long flight of stairs, then all the way back again to catch the train. Obviously that is incredibly inconvenient and also requires getting to the station earlier, plus having to add on contingency time just in case there was a queue for the solitary machine, making it even more inconvenient.
However, that is for someone able bodied, what about those with mobility issues ? How are they to access the ticket machine and then back onto their platform ? The advertised "step free access" requires a very long detour (and back again don't forget) including having to walk the entire length of a busy Asda car park with no segregated footpath. Thus I would argue Northern Trains are in breach of the Equality Act 2010.
Leaving specific disability issues aside, Chapeltown is effectively two stations (up and down) as it is not possible, even for the able bodied, to get from one platform to the other without exiting the station and walking along the public highway, and therefore, if travelling north I effectively do not have the opportunity to buy a ticket and therefore your penalty fare conditions are invalid.
I appreciate that you're unhappy about this situation, but I don't think it would be wise to send such a letter, at least not without some major changes, for several reasons.

Firstly, you are incriminating yourself by admitting to a breach of Byelaw 18. Now, you probably don't give sufficient particulars for this to be used to instigate a successful prosecution against you, and in any event I highly doubt that Northern's customer services would send your file to their revenue protection department on the basis of your admission. But it's still not a good idea to admit to it in my view. Certainly I would not be complaining about the guard's attitude when you were legally in the wrong here - clearly Northern will just tell you that the guard was enforcing the rules.

Furthermore, I think you are diluting your argument by going into the issue of those with mobility issues and the Equality Act. As we have discussed, it seems highly unlikely that Northern are in breach thereof, given the industry's exception to the "buy before boarding" rules for those who cannot reasonably access ticketing facilities - a lower bar than having a disability, as defined under the Act.

Finally, you have to consider what you're realistically going to achieve by writing to Northern. Their customer services staff are extremely unlikely to agree with your assessment that you don't have an opportunity to buy a ticket when travelling northbound, and that you can therefore buy on board without penalty. They will just be reading off their 'script' and tell you that you must buy on board no matter what, or else you may receive a Penalty Fare or be prosecuted etc.

Perhaps it would be better to rewrite your letter in consideration of what a realistic outcome would be? For example, you could ask Northern whether they are willing to install an additional ticket machine at Chapeltown, or at the very least install signage that tells passengers walking up to the northbound platform where the ticket machine is located. Both of these are much more likely outcomes (even if both still somewhat unlikely) than an apology and open-ended permission to buy on board when travelling northbound.

skyhigh

Established Member
Perhaps it would be better to rewrite your letter in consideration of what a realistic outcome would be? For example, you could ask Northern whether they are willing to install an additional ticket machine at Chapeltown, or at the very least install signage that tells passengers walking up to the northbound platform where the ticket machine is located. Both of these are much more likely outcomes (even if both still somewhat unlikely) than an apology and open-ended permission to buy on board when travelling northbound.
I think even for those aims you'd probably get a better answer tagging @northernman here.

Justin Smith

I appreciate that you're unhappy about this situation, but I don't think it would be wise to send such a letter, at least not without some major changes, for several reasons.

Firstly, you are incriminating yourself by admitting to a breach of Byelaw 18. Now, you probably don't give sufficient particulars for this to be used to instigate a successful prosecution against you, and in any event I highly doubt that Northern's customer services would send your file to their revenue protection department on the basis of your admission. But it's still not a good idea to admit to it in my view. Certainly I would not be complaining about the guard's attitude when you were legally in the wrong here - clearly Northern will just tell you that the guard was enforcing the rules.

Furthermore, I think you are diluting your argument by going into the issue of those with mobility issues and the Equality Act. As we have discussed, it seems highly unlikely that Northern are in breach thereof, given the industry's exception to the "buy before boarding" rules for those who cannot reasonably access ticketing facilities - a lower bar than having a disability, as defined under the Act.

Finally, you have to consider what you're realistically going to achieve by writing to Northern. Their customer services staff are extremely unlikely to agree with your assessment that you don't have an opportunity to buy a ticket when travelling northbound, and that you can therefore buy on board without penalty. They will just be reading off their 'script' and tell you that you must buy on board no matter what, or else you may receive a Penalty Fare or be prosecuted etc.

Surely they should be informed in writing there is a problem ? Which there is.
I half expect some copied and pasted answer at first but in my experience mentioning stuff like disability discrimination gets people's notice, at least, hopefully, they think they should give it more than just a fob off answer ?
The guard may have been technically correct but his customer service skills left much to be desired. Assuming he knew enough about human nature to realise I was never trying to avoid payment, and I genuinely did not know about all this, what exactly was he trying to achieve ?

I accept your final point, I should actually make the suggestion that they need a ticket machine on the northbound platform. I just assumed it was obvious !

I think even for those aims you'd probably get a better answer tagging @northernman here.
Is this tagging ? : @northernman

Cloud Strife

Established Member
One question I have about the Equality Act: is there any expectation that the person with the disability should prove that they have a disability, or is it enough to merely inform the TOC that the passenger has a disability?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One question I have about the Equality Act: is there any expectation that the person with the disability should prove that they have a disability, or is it enough to merely inform the TOC that the passenger has a disability?
I'm not aware of any requirement to prove someone has a disability "on the frontline" as it were. Obviously if Northern were to proceed to prosecute or issue a penalty fare to someone who was alleging that they had a disability it may become relevant to provide some evidence of that disability at that later point in the process. But on the train/platform there can be no expectation that someone would have or indeed should have proof of their disability. The staff involved should either take someone's word for it and sell the required ticket or issue a penalty fare/report for prosecution.

It is worth noting that despite people talking about being "registered disabled" there is no such register or indeed concept as such.

northernman

Verified Rep - Northern
Surely they should be informed in writing there is a problem ? Which there is.
I half expect some copied and pasted answer at first but in my experience mentioning stuff like disability discrimination gets people's notice, at least, hopefully, they think they should give it more than just a fob off answer ?
The guard may have been technically correct but his customer service skills left much to be desired. Assuming he knew enough about human nature to realise I was never trying to avoid payment, and I genuinely did not know about all this, what exactly was he trying to achieve ?

I accept your final point, I should actually make the suggestion that they need a ticket machine on the northbound platform. I just assumed it was obvious !

Is this tagging ? : @northernman
Good afternoon all. We have looked at a TVM on the northbound platform in the past. Unfortunately the method of construction of the platform is thus that we don't believe it would take the weight of a TVM, the platform is on a steep embankment, and would required some form of underfill to take the weight, and also anchor the machine in place. When we did the numbers it wasn't cost effective. However from an accessibility perspective, its not lost on me that if you wanted step free access, it is a long walk from the TVM on the south bound platform. I will take another look at options for that station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I would say about Chapeltown is that there's nothing at all saying where the TVM is on entrance to the platform the OP mentions:

Thus, you could go all the way up to that platform and only then see that the TVM is on the other side.

At least the sign should make it clear where it is to avoid people doing that; almost every reasonable person would say "**** that, I'll pay on the train" having come across this situation for the first time.

It does look rather constrained, though, there's nowhere at street level to put one and the pavement seems a bit narrow to put it actually on the street.

Maybe the Council might (no doubt at a fee) agree to one being added where the bin or flowerpot is now:

and then it'd better serve both sides? I have definitely seen them sited on public pavements before. The existing one could be moved to the approach from Asda which appears to be the only other entrance?

Haywain

Veteran Member
The existing one could be moved to the approach from Asda which appears to be the only other entrance?
There appears to also be some form of level access to the northbound platform from the overbridge to the north of the station here.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There appears to also be some form of level access to the northbound platform from the overbridge to the north of the station here.

Ah, so there is. Heck of a walk! That really needs its own.

In the end if TOCs want to prohibit buying on board there needs to be a TVM convenient for every entrance to a station. A day might come when phone and contactless travel are ubiquitous enough that that's not necessary, but that's years off.

londonbridge

Established Member
Good afternoon all. We have looked at a TVM on the northbound platform in the past. Unfortunately the method of construction of the platform is thus that we don't believe it would take the weight of a TVM, the platform is on a steep embankment, and would required some form of underfill to take the weight, and also anchor the machine in place. When we did the numbers it wasn't cost effective. However from an accessibility perspective, its not lost on me that if you wanted step free access, it is a long walk from the TVM on the south bound platform. I will take another look at options for that station.
I don’t know the area or the station in question at all, so apologies if this is an obvious question, but if it’s not possible to install a machine ON the northbound platform, what, if any, restriction is there on installing one outside the entrance to said platform?

Darandio

Established Member
I don’t know the area or the station in question at all, so apologies if this is an obvious question, but if it’s not possible to install a machine ON the northbound platform, what, if any, restriction is there on installing one outside the entrance to said platform?

There are two entrances if I remember correctly. That causes an issue because you then require two machines.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A day might come when phone and contactless travel are ubiquitous enough that that's not necessary, but that's years off.
A heck of a lot of work is going to be needed outside the control of the railway industry on the 'Digital Divide' before that's reasonable e.g. basic bank accounts for people who don't have a fixed address or live in a refuge.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A heck of a lot of work is going to be needed outside the control of the railway industry on the 'Digital Divide' before that's reasonable e.g. basic bank accounts for people who don't have a fixed address or live in a refuge.

Yes, true (it's also OT; was just intended as a throwaway comment, really).

RyanOPlasty

You are using the internet right now though? If you have a printer you can buy your tickets from your PC and print them at home before you travel
Printer ownership is diminishing, so internet access doesn't mean you can print. There are also many people with internet access who are unable to make online payments. Not everyone has access to a bank account with a debit card.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I think you need a chat with Kadfire ;) Happy to help set it up

Starmill

Veteran Member
What I would say about Chapeltown is that there's nothing at all saying where the TVM is on entrance to the platform the OP mentions:
This is the case at nearly all stations managed by Northern though, only a handful have signs saying that there's a ticket machine. There are lots where entrances are very remote from one another and there's no sight line to the machine. Given there are still many that don't have them this really should have been an absolute requirement for every entrance to be signed as such under the new penalty fare rules. None of the ticket machines should have been allowed to go into service until the signs were up.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is the case at nearly all stations managed by Northern though, only a handful have signs saying that there's a ticket machine. There are lots where entrances are very remote from one another and there's no sight line to the machine. Given there are still many that don't have them this really should have been an absolute requirement for every entrance to be signed as such under the new penalty fare rules. None of the ticket machines should have been allowed to go into service until the signs were up.

Agree. There should be no station at all, anywhere in the country, where you can get onto a platform without passing a clear indication how and where tickets can be purchased. It's easy and cheap to add appropriate signage.

Justin Smith

Haywain said:

Ah, so there is. Heck of a walk! That really needs its own.
It's not just a long long walk, it also requires walking the full length of a busy Asda carpark which has no segregated footpath !

Agree. There should be no station at all, anywhere in the country, where you can get onto a platform without passing a clear indication how and where tickets can be purchased. It's easy and cheap to add appropriate signage.
Better than nothing, but, in my experience, many people do not really see signs. An actual machine is much more visible.

I'm fairly certain that having no smartphone or internet access isn't a protected characteristic.
It isn't a protected characteristic, but anything that is subsidised by the public purse has a responsibility to be equally available to all.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Better than nothing, but, in my experience, many people do not really see signs. An actual machine is much more visible.
Considering you're a fan of personal responsiblity you should surely not mind that someone makes a mistake and fails to observe obvious signage?

londonbridge

Established Member
There are two entrances if I remember correctly. That causes an issue because you then require two machines.
Ive gathered that from reading the posts but it sounds as though the layout and design of the station warrants the need for a machine on each platform.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ive gathered that from reading the posts but it sounds as though the layout and design of the station warrants the need for a machine on each platform.

That's my view, though the person responsible for them has articulated why that may not be feasible upthread. Nonetheless I think adding proper signage is absolutely necessary rather than having people climb a steep flight of stairs and only then realise there isn't one there.

Status
Not open for further replies.