• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident in tunnel between Waverley and Haymarket? (23/02)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graeme

Sitting on the 1R35 at Waverley supposedly departing at 0945. The 0930 was cancelled and this service delayed due to "an earlier incident in the tunnel between Haymarket and Edinburgh". The display board can't make its mind up as to whether we are cancelled or not!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheAlbanach_

There was a naked man that ran off the platform and through the mound tunnels, believe it or not. Haha

Raul_Duke

I bet he was a member here. Probably upset his train seat was too hard and didn’t have a 1930’s style silver service restaurant as part of his £2 first class advance ;)

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Has anybody ever looked into the likely reason for that?
Might find this article published in the journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law an interesting if morbid read.
...Little is known about the reasons why individuals attempt or complete suicide while naked. Suicide notes rarely indicate a reason for a naked suicide. Knowledge gained from the treatment of patients, however, can shed light on the motivation for naked suicide. As mentioned earlier, individuals who have made suicide attempts while naked are the best source of information. Table 1 lists some psychological themes that may be associated with naked suicide.

Naked suicide suggests a variety of psychological themes. The shedding of clothes may symbolize a new beginning, a rebirth and cleansing, or a sloughing off of the world....

Last edited by a moderator:

Graeme

Well that's the weirdest thing I've ever been delayed as a result of but I'll bet members on this forum can top that.

Chris M

Well that's the weirdest thing I've ever been delayed as a result of but I'll bet members on this forum can top that.
The most memorable explanation I've ever had was "a bit of metal making a lot of noise beneath coach C", on a (First?) Great Western HST at West Drayton in the mid 2000s. Obviously a train fault is hardly an unusual reason for a delay though.

Trainfan344

Established Member
That conversconve between the driver and Bobby at Saltley comes to mind...

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Delayed at St Leonards Warrior Square once due to a "woman rescuing a seagull from the line". I get the feeling staff get a titter out of the more amusing reasons too.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Signaller being late to clear the signal for the train due to mopping up a leaking toilet?

GW43125

Established Member
Signaller being late to clear the signal for the train due to mopping up a leaking toilet?

Didn’t a bobby get locked in the loo at one of the Malvern boxes a couple of years back?

QueensCurve

Established Member
There was a naked man that ran off the platform and through the mound tunnels, believe it or not. Haha

This does seem to check out.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....ins-to-a-halt-at-edinburgh-waverley-1-4695111

It is understood police were responding to calls of a man trackside at Waverley station heading towards the castle, who has since been removed. Reports on social media stated that a naked man jumped the barriers and ran down the tracks at Waverley. A British Transport Police spokeswoman said: “Some of the reports were of a naked man on the tracks. “The man has been detained by police and is being checked over by the ambulance service. “Officers are currently at Edinburgh Waverley station at 9.18am today after reports of a man trespassing onto the tracks. “The man has been detained by officers. “Trains are now able to return to normal.” Virgin Trains apologised for the disruption to their services as a result of the incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.